Recession Eating [General]

2009 Jan 13
The article that FF linked to about the Iron Works becoming a Barley MOw was also talking about "recession eating"

communities.canada.com

First I'll point out that the author of that article really ought to stick to food and not make comments on that economy, because the following comment only demonstrates how little s/he knows about the latter :

"Despite the stock market meltdown, the money is all still somewhere -- it's just waiting on the sidelines until people are once again assured the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train speeding toward them."

Sorry, but unfortunately the money really does disappear. That's the problem.

Anyway, s/he (can't be bothered looking to see if it was a he or she) was talking about 'recession food' and how people are likely to start buying and eating cheap junk food.

I find that so sad, really, that people have so lost the ability to cook for themselves. For lunch today I had whole grain rice with beef/pork hash on top. The latter is ground beef and pork fried with onions, salt and pepper, and is extremely yummy, healthy, and cost-effective.

So, what's your recommendation for "recession eating" that is cheap, healthy, yummy, and easy to make?

2009 Jan 13
Zym - to address one of the comments you made, the author is Ron Eade, a contributor to this site as well.

Recession eating = chili, stew, hearty bean soups, cheap cuts of meat I butcher & finesse at home, etc. Definitely more vegetarian, and I started buying more staple products in wholesale.

2009 Jan 13
My lifesaver has been a well stocked pantry. This is a practice I started early in my career when there was a recession on and really deep cuts to the public service. Sometimes I would go months until the next contract and UI covered rent and utilites and that’s about it. So I made sure to have a lot of long grain rice and whole wheat pastas handy as well as cans of stuff (tuna, sardines, etc.). I usually favour fresh fruit and veg but I have a few frozen items handy to use in a pinch. When the job market picked up and I finally landed a permanent job I just continued the practice. I do volunteer work outside my paid job as well as enjoying an active social life so I don’t always have time to make it to the grocery store. Most nights I have enough pantry items handy to throw together a yummy healthy meal.

Another practice I started is paying a visit to the back of the produce department to check out the reduced items. Overripe bananas are good for banana muffins or banana bread, apples are good for applesauce or muffins, tomatoes are good for tomato sauce, peppers can be roasted then frozen, etc. I also check for reduced meats which are marked down because it is the day before or the day of the sell by date. They won’t keep in the fridge any longer but can be frozen.

I am in a couple of recipe exchanges (part of yahoogroups) and last year the subject of food stamps came up on one of them. It is an American based group so some of the members collect food stamps. One Canadian member wrote in asking about them since we do not have food stamps here. One lady wrote in saying she worked in a store in a low income neighbourhood and it was surprising how many customers were using their food stamps for frozen dinners, pop, chips, etc. Pretty sad IMO.

If anyone is truly interested in inexpensive yet nutritious meals this website seems to be popular: www.hillbillyhousewife.com

2009 Jan 13
I thought it was an interesting article all around, and look forward to the promised followup articles on trimming food costs while maintaining quality and nutrition. I did not think, like Zym did, that the author was trying to inaccurately portray the source of the meltdown, or 'where the money went' but was just trying to parlay the idea, through stock metaphor, that people are going to want to hoard what they have, and not be inclined to spend it as freely as before. Good find Zym.

2009 Jan 13
For those who haven't seen it, there is a coffee table book about 'What the World Eats' by Peter Menzel that was featured in Time Magazine ( www.time.com,29307,1626519_1373664,00.html ). In it he has pictures of families from around the world, showing them in their respective kitchens surrounded by the food they eat in one week. Some interesting numbers:

Bhutan Family - 12 people eat for $5/week
German Family - 4 people eat for $500/week
Mongolian Family - 4 people eat for $40/week
Egyptian Family - 12 people eat for $69/week
Italian Family - 5 people eat for $260/week

Basically, as the cost per week goes down, there is less and less of processed food. Both the Mongolian and Egyptian families seem to eat pretty cheaply, but still have an abundance of food and selection for the week. I expect that we will learn (if we are lucky) that these prepackaged foods are not only not as tasty as homemade, but are far more expensive than their parts should be. One great example is flavoured rice boxes. They sell these boxes, with maybe 1 cup of rice in them, with a 'flavour pouch' for around $2 to $3. The rice inside is worth maybe 5 cents (maybe less). I've recently taken to making some nice spicy dishes (such as Morroccan Lamb, or Beef) with chickpeas. If you buy them 'presoaked' by the can, they cost 3 or 4 times as much as buying the dry ones, and soaking them yourself. That sort of thing is where my effort is going...

2009 Jan 13
Pete-In-Ottawa: I find the Time study very interesting, because it is also a statement as to how much meat is consumed in a diet. There is a pretty large difference between the German and Italian families, and if my experiences have taught me anything, it is that Germans like their meats at any and all meals. You also need to bear in mind the exchange rate.

I agree with you about the chickpeas/beans. I am going to start presoaking mine as well--they take up far less space.

I really don't think that amongst the middle and upper classes that we will be eating more junk food because of the recession. For health and financial purposes, I've been taking my lunch daily, saving me about $35 per week (I'm still buying my coffee though). My currect favour has been cold salads: This week, it was barley, chickpeas, feta and cilantro (with a lemon-y dressing). Next week, I'm thinking quinoa (not a lot, since it's not cheap) with carrots and raisins. This plus fruit or vegetables (I'm a fan of frozen peas for a snack) and some nuts makes for my lunch.

2009 Jan 13
Pete-In-Ottawa - I too took the comments that Ron made in the same way you did, particularly so when he was talking about money and said that there "must be a lot of money stuffed under mattresses"... and hence the idea of hoarding what one has on hand.

If anything I think that Ron is taking the current economic situation very seriously, his Blog Omnivore's Ottawa - communities.canada.com now includes a weekly run down on the Grocery Flyers and their specials, and what Ron considers "Good Buys" for the week... if anything he is taking the guess work (and calculations out of the mix for the average consumer). That can only be helping people to eat better, including those on a tight budget.

BTW, the Time article looks fascinating, I'll have to take some time and check it out further. Thanks for sharing.

2009 Jan 13
I admit, I am not an economist and, on reflection, I may have erred in assuming the money is still somewhere. (Ie: If your house price drops 10%, then I guess that really is money GONE. Yikes!) But, my point is more basic: There are things we can do at home on the range to transform inexpensive cuts and veggies into very delectable meals, which is what I plan to do in the Citizen thru February.
I think OttawaFoodies.com readers will find it interesting.
BTW, as for taking the current economic situation seriously -- believe me, I do! I've lost (on paper) an interesting sum. I bought banks and insurance companies and pipeline stocks ... OMG, they have to recover!
And, finally, if anyone cares, I've joined a bizarre world called Twitter at www.twitter.com and call up name RonEade.
Best regards to all ... Ron

2009 Jan 13
Lots of great ideas here!

As for the well-stocked pantry, that's something I do as well. I keep it stocked (very high) with staples such as whole grain rice, different types of flours, lentils, dried fruit, nuts and so on. Literally buckets and buckets and buckets of the stuff (20L and 27L buckets). I'd estimate that I have enough food on hand to feed the family for a good six months.

And getting "back to basics" is what a folks seem to be talking about, including Pete and others. That's another thing I've been doing a lot of the last couple of years, as I saw the recession coming up over the horizon. I try to make stuff from scratch. That's I guess why I found the article so scary - to know that there are people out there who equate 'frugal eating' with 'crappy eating'. Getting back to the basics and using staples like beans and rice is really cheap, and really good for you. And it's still cheap when I buy local organic stuff, so way cheaper still if you aren't so picky.

For fresh veggies so far this winter I've been doing the sprouting thing. Though I emptied my last batch a few days ago and didn't have another in the pipeline so I'm suffering for it now. BUt I've kept it going all the time since I first started discussing it here a few months ago, until now. And I'll get it going again. Just taking a break :)

Here's hoping beyond hope that the recession (most likely to become a depression) will have the positive effect of getting people back in touch with their food. BTW, you may have missed it hidden away in the news, but Harper is now admitting it is likely to last 3 to 5 years! So hunker down folks - a year or two from now we may be discussing where the nearest soup kitchen is.

2009 Jan 13
BTW Ron, no apologies needed - I did get the gist of what your point was. Just being a nitpicker :-) I am also heavily invested in oil - 1/3 my portfolio in PetroCan. I made the mistake about 18 months ago of thinking that was 'recession proof'. Actually, I don't think it was too much of a mistake because while it has dipped a fair bit since then, I do expect it to recover very quickly afterwards. And I'd expect your pipeline to do the same. Banks, I dunno - don't understand them enough to buy them. BUt they always make money, so they are likely good in the long run if they survive :-) I have the other 2/3 of my portfolio in gold and it's up 31% over 18 months, as of the end of today :-) Yes, I have all my eggs in 2 baskets.

2009 Jan 13
Omnivore's Ottawa - Hi Ron, good to see you around and know that you browse OF from time-to-time. The Ottawa Citizen and your Blog do generate a lot of interest here. Both are always a good source for new ideas and discussion.

2009 Jan 13
Love this topic. As a elderly person I still remember how we all cooked from scratch and how to make a meal stretch, especially when your kids bring home friends for dinner without a warning. I always had a good dry store of goods on hand. Especially pulses of various kinds. I used a trick of soaking my pulses overnight and cooking them the next day to then cool and freeze for later use. So a packet of frozen cooked chicpeas added to a stew stretched the meal and still kept it healthy.
We bottled our summer vegies for the winter as well as canning fruit to have on a cold winters Sunday with our lunch.

I also frequent the marked down section of supermarkets and Farm Boy. The have great deals on peppers, onions etc.

Today I went to my local Cake Shop for a dessert and was talking to the owner about the recession etc. She told me she has had so many brides call and enquire about wedding cakes on a tight budget that she has now come up with a special web page of cakes for the brides who are feeling the pinch.

Maybe the couples will start getting some sense and have a small wedding and save any cash they are given for a rainy day.

BTW they have been paying there staffs cab fare every day since the bus strike and are also feeling the pinch.

2009 Jan 13
i still remember my student days of cheap meals and my husband and i still have some favourite recipes that have stood the test of time. a few are:

calabacitas: a stirfry of frozen corn, zuchinni, onions, cheese, roasted hot peppers, and oregano served on whole grain rice.

beans and barley: pearl barley cooked with black beans, hot peppers, tin of tomatoes, onion.

2009 Jan 13
Zymurgist: better to have all your eggs in two baskets rather than one--that way you can have omlettes and eggs florentine (I'm a student, but I lost a considerable amount because my father/investment manager didn't diversifed and had everything in zinc. Honestly, who uses zinc?)

hipfunkyfun: I'm a huge fan of student cheap meals, especially for lunches. I feel like my partner + I eat an "adult dinner", but I eat student lunches. Keeps me grounded.

CakeLady: I think that's great that the Cake Shop is doing that for their staff (might be better if they were to arrange a carpool with other businesses in the plaza, but that is neither here nor there--sorry, I'm a fan of sharing our carbon footprint as a way of making it smaller).

Having said that, I think one thing that is very important for any vendor to remember in a recession is that they need to be accomodating. This is especially true with the wedding industry. We approached a caterer with our budget and guest list, and they came back with something that was twice our budget. Having said that, my favourite part of planning our wedding thusfar has been finding unique and creative ways to deal with our very tight budget. With six months before our wedding date, we are well ahead of our budget, meaning we were able to splurge to reserve what will (undoubtedly) be a very stunning and tasty dessert bar (cake and ice cream sundaes abound), because it's something that has relevance to us (our first date was cake and waking through parliament hill).

Regardless of whether you're planning a wedding, or your Tuesday night dinner, I believe it comes down to is a matter of choice, and planning in order to figure out the ideal outcome (that sounded so very Dr. Phil)

2009 Jan 14
Lady, I am also planning a wedding (7 monthes away), and I cannot believe what some caterers want!

I have done nothing to recession-proof my diet. I am a total junk food junkie and that hasn't changed a bit.
Though the bus strike has helped curb my other addiction and use for money: shopping.

2009 Jan 14
Cakelady or anyone else who can answer : what are "pulses"?

Weddings on a budget? THat's easy! And you can still have a very wonderful wedding! We did ours in 1996 on $2000. Wife's mom's friend was a home ec teacher (sewing) and made the wedding dress as her gift to us. Her mom made the cake. Her dad frosted it (funny story elsewhere on here about that). All the old ladies in the community chipped in.

$1000 was to buy more than half the tickets to the Oktoberfest celebration at the local brew pub, which is where we had the big party that night. The reception was at her parernts' house, with the old ladied providing the food.

Extremely memorable and very priceworthy.

2009 Jan 14
Zym, from Pulses:

"Dry beans, dry peas, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), lentils, etc.

Pulses are a subcategory of legumes. Legumes that do not count as pulses include soybeans and peanuts. Pulses are dry and do not include vegetable crops such as green beans (haricots) and green peas."

2009 Jan 14
Pulses: The edible seeds of certain pod-bearing plants, such as peas and beans. (Answers.com)

Jane-Buck: I fancy you and I would get along quite well, but we would probably go broke being around one another...Yikes!

Bear in mind that the wedding industry complex has gotten more vicious in the last 13 years Zymurgist. The second you add the word "wedding" or "marriage" or "union" to something, it triples in price.

Our budget is $3500. OT: My favourite wedding website is www.2000dollarwedding.com --> Sara has some fabulous ideas and do-it-yourself projects that would make Martha Stewart's skin crawl.

2009 Jan 14
Hi Ron,

Good to see you around again. I'm looking forward to the Recession Eating pieces, particularly with regards to vegetables. You hear a lot about what to do with cheap cuts of meat, so hearing about how to stretch your vegetable dollars will be a great complement!

2009 Jan 14
Just made a huge pot of vegetable soup with veggies I bought today at
Loeb from there reduced veggie cart.
All in all cost me $9.00 for a cabbage, bag of potato's,a small bag tomatoes, celery and some carrots. Will freeze some and give the rest to my pals in the condo building who cant cook for themselves any longer.

Also picked up reduced stewing beef from Loeb so am making slowcooker meals for another day. The beef was reduced to $2.00. Will share with pals as well.

Btw does any one know of a real barbeque pit style eating place in Ottawa. I have been to 2 in TO and they are fabulous. ( Smoker out in the back where they smoke the ribs etc long and slow for up to 15 hous)

2009 Jan 14
Cake Lady - RE: BBQ Place. Sadly this topic has come up before, and todate I believe the answer is still a big fat ZERO. Sad but true. Anyone who undertakes this genre is going to make a mint!

My closest fix is a trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que - www.dinosaurbarbque.com/ in Syracuse, NY (a 3 hour drive... but worth it).

2009 Jan 15
Jane-buck: I catered my sisters wedding for her this past October. It was hard work and they had set aside a budget of $4000 for 3 events (Homestyle family dinner the night before, brunch for the wedding party, the actual wedding), but we were able to pull all 3 events off for only $1500 - I was happy that I could give them such a nice wedding present!

MENU FOR CASUAL FAMILY DINNER (approx 60 people):
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches (made in the slow cooker, put out buns, people can serve themselves).
- BBQed Ribeye Steaks (we bought 2 entire ribeyes at Costco, cleaned them
ourselves, and cut them into 8 oz steaks, then enlisted an uncle to grill them up - there's always at least one bbq nut in every crowd)
- An entire Roast Turkey (it was Thanksgiving weekend).
- Braised moose meat (brought from a "up-north" relative)
-Various salads, relishes etc.
-Pumpkin Pie with whipped cream

MENU FOR WEDDING DAY BRUNCH (approx 25 people):
- Individual quiches (smoked gouda, bacon, asparagus)
- Quinoa, yogurt, and fresh fruit parfaits
- Roasted potatoes

MENU FOR WEDDING (Approx 160 people, buffet style):
- Roasted meats (we roasted a turkey, 1 whole pork loin, 1 whole beef loin, and a few pounds of kolbassa, grilled everything on the commercial grill to sear it, roasted it, then sliced it thin on the meat slicer - like a cold cuts tray but a bit classier :)
- Selection of relishes to go with the roasted meats - cranberry relish, pear and apple compote, horseradish mayonaise)
- Array of marinated grilled vegetables (eggplant, red peppers, acorn squash, asparagus, portobello mushrooms, zucchini)
- Selection of breads with shallot-chive whipped butter
- Selection of cheeses
- Homemade hummus with pita
- Cold soup shots (cucumber dill, and spicy gazpacho, served in shot glasses)
- Cut vegetables with dip
- Selection of fresh cut fruit

WEDDING "CAKE": Individual Sticky Toffee Puddings with Caramel Sauce Fountain

TIPS:
-Catering a wedding yourself is NOT something I would reccomend if you are the BRIDE (or groom) since there is already WAY too much to deal with - but if you happen to have a team of 3 or 4 people who want to help and know thier way around a kitchen then doing at least SOME of the events yourself is a great way to round out the menu and save money on catering.
-Since I work in a kitchen, I asked my boss if me and my team could come in after hours and use the commercial kitchen. This was invaluable in terms of getting stuff done quickly because the equipment is so much bigger (ie: commercial ovens and grill, meat slicer etc). If you have access to a commercial kitchen through a friend, it is worth trying to set up a rental or something for a few hours in the space.
- If you choose a cold buffet over hot, there is a lot less stress involved, since most stuff can be made and put on trays in advance and you don't have to worry about the food staying hot (or over-heating and scorching).
- When setiing up a buffet table ALWAYS put the bread first. You want people to load up their plate with the big bread and be fored then to take smaller portions of the more expensive things further down the line - it is less likely that you'll run out of things.

2009 Jan 15
Um. Wow! Food-Is-Hot, that is amazing! (I'm sending you a private message as we speak...heheh)

2009 Jan 15
Food-is-hot
my original plan was the cater the wedding ourselves, but there were a couple major problems with that. For one, the wedding is outside, with only a small home kitchen to use. Also the wedding is taking place 35 min away from where we live, so we would have to transport the food. In the end I just don't want the stress! FH still thinks it is perfectly simple, since it is going to be BBQ. I disagree, I already have too much to deal with.
Your menus sound great. Your sister was very lucky to have you.
We are looking at 150-200 ppl and the quote I have got so far is 100-120 per person. Although that does include table ware. Still. 15,000 for food? Yikes!

Sorry to hi-jack the forum.

2009 Jan 15
Jane-Buck: My parents rented the services of a BBQ caterer ( down home boy with a big industrial size bbq) in The County. I believe it was less than $5 a head for all you can eat roast beef, cooked all day over the bbq. This of course did not include very many sides (maybe mashed and slaw) but it might be an option, rather than having food brought in warming trays.

2009 Jan 15
Pete, I am currently looking into the services of grill master express. Hoping to make it under 20 a head.
What "county" are you referring to? Prince Edward County? I ask because my dad lives there and alway just calls it "the county"

2009 Jan 16
Yes, I am referring to Prince Edward County! (My parents live there as well.)

2009 Jan 16
Pete, I wonder, do you parent have the county "handbook"? Its a funny little book my dad has a about living in the county.

Back to the recession talk. My main plan is to save my money for quality stuff and skip on the $30 lunch here and there at whateve shitty pub. That way I can still go to places I enjoy (and tend to drop a lot of money at), like whalesbone and navarra.

2009 Jan 20
Jane-Buck - Hear hear! That's the best way to save money during belt-tightening times. I think what we'll end up doing is actually sticking to our restaurant budget. We've conveniently ignored the fact that we overspend it every single month ;)

2009 Jan 27
Yes the money really does disappear, just like it magically appears on the way up.

It is possible to eat healthy for a lot less. My teenage daughter became a vegetarian, and I mostly followed suit. Even buying organiclly grown produce, which is pricey, our grocery bill is a lot less now that we have cut back on meat.

I've also been practicing intermittent fasting for a couple of years and am eating a lot less overall, but still enjoying great food. I lost about 45 lbs in two years and now (a) I'm eating less and (b) I've got a better BMI and slower metabolism so I don't need to eat as much as when I was heavier. And I still get to enjoy great food.

Cuba went through a bad patch economically when the USSR collapsed and stopped buying sugar from them. They had to switch their agriculture from a cash crop (sugar cane) to organically grown vegetables and they were also eating about 30% less calories on average. What happened? Incidence of heart attack and diabetes dropped dramatically. Makes you think . . .

2009 Feb 28
Well, now I get a chance to test all my theories!

After 12 years of dodging bullets, my number finally came up at Nortel.

Not to worry - it feels very good!

More to follow on "living the life"!

2009 Mar 1
Oh dear, I'm sorry Alan. Even if, as you say, it feels good, it still sucks to lose your job. Here's to better jobs/projects to come!

2009 Mar 1
No picture required.

ottawafoodies.com

2009 Mar 9
Do you like cabbage? This recipe is super simple and SO delicious.
I used grapeseed oil, white/green cabbage, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. That's it, that's all!
It also would make a great accompaniment/side. I included it here as the grand total for all the ingredients was about 1.50 (tops).

Recipe from here: orangette.blogspot.com

Cabbage with Hot Sauce

When choosing an oil for this, be sure to choose one with a high smoke point, the safest bet for high-heat cooking. (Or, if you’re the type to have lard lying around - ooh la la - you could use that. It has a high smoke point too.)

½ head green cabbage, quartered and sliced into ¼-inch-thick ribbons
½ medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced (optional)
Canola oil, or another oil with a similarly high smoke point
¼ tsp. to 1 tsp. sambal oelek, to taste (I used red pepper flakes instead and they're great in this)
Soy sauce, to taste
Salt, to taste (optional)

Place a wok over high heat. Let it heat thoroughly; it should even smell hot. Working quickly, pour in a glug of oil and then immediately add the cabbage and the fennel, if using. Stir briefly to coat with oil, and then leave it alone for a minute or so, to allow the vegetables to begin to take on some color. Then add sambal oelek (or red pepper flakes) to taste, and stir again. Continue to cook until the vegetables are browned in spots and wilted. It won’t take long. Then add a glug of soy sauce and stir well again. Taste, and season with more soy sauce or salt as needed.

Serve hot or warm (I tossed in half a toasted & torn apart multigrain Oh Petits Plats Francais demi-baguette then drizzled it all with a bit of white balsamic vinegar. And on first taste, I floated up to the ceiling. Yum.) :)

Yield: 2-4 servings, depending on what else you’re having.

2009 Mar 24
I just picked up some pork neck at the 168 Market because it was 99c / lb and looked like it had quite a lot of good meat on it.

Sure enough, it does! I've got it in the pressure cooker right now - will report back.

2009 Mar 24
zymurgist; sorry to hear about your job loss. I have many friends/associates that work for Nortel. I know how it feels, my fiancé and I both work for ma Bell. He got the pink slip in August and has yet to find anything equivalent. I hope you are having more luck...

Cheap eats: I have started doing my own healthy version of taco salad. I mix my own spice, that way you control the salt that you would normally get from the taco mix envelope. We have also started making our own pizzas instead of doing take out. And it tastes soooo much better, even the teenager prefers it! I recently tried Mario Batali's pizza dough recipe with white wine. It's a keeper.

2009 Mar 24
Does your fiance know how to configure a Nortel BCM? If so, send me a private message because I know a guy at Telus hiring for that. I turned down the job for various reasons.

So the report back on the pork neck : I bought a 1.815 lb chunk which is 824g. I'll have to double-check the video I just did (will have it up on Youtube in an hour or so) but I believe it was 286g of bones/fat/cartelidge. And aftercooking meat was 301g.

Is that good value for the money? Not really sure - will have go check the price on the big pork loin I picked up at Loblaw the other day. In this case it was about exactly 1/3 the market (net) weight in bones.

EDIT : I paid $3.28 / kg for the pork tenderloin, which is about $1.50 / lb. And given that my pork neck was 99c/lb and 1/3 of it was bone, that is exactly the same price!

Oh well, lesson is - stick with pork tenderloin :-) Though these bones are probably better value for making broth.

EDIT :

Still being processed by Youtube so probably won't be active for another 5 to 10 minutes

2009 Mar 24
One man's "stick with pork tenderloin" is another man's "buy the neck and have fun picking the meat off the bones with your fingers." ;)

2009 Mar 24
Hee, hee, true momo. I'll probably keep buying the pork neck for a few reasons. For making broth it is definitely the way to go because you WANT the bones. I think also for finger food off the smoker or grill it will be a better choice than pork tenderloin. Though the tenderloin certainly has its place on the smoker! That's what I bought it for in fact :-)

UPDATE: I just got back from Loeb and Superstore, and it sure does seem that pork for $1/lb or $1.50/lb for the pork tenderloin is a rarity by a long shot. Not sure how they can offer it so cheaply, but clearly it is to compete with Costco. So the pork neck is still a very good deal in my books.

I took a bunch of photos of meat prices at Loeb and Superstore, and will start sorting through it all to come up with a comparison.

EDIT: with my small sample size so far, it seems that my suspicion is correct that Loeb generally speaking has better meat prices than Superstore. By about 20% across the board with a few minor exceptions like the pork tenderloin at Superstore

2009 Mar 24
Cool video zym. I also like your blog that's linked from the YouTube page.

2009 Mar 24
Thanks Ollie - my wife and I have a tonne of stuff planned for the blog, and videos for the various things we are interested in : food, gardening, brewing, home repairs, crafting, fabric work, spinning (yarn), knitting, aikido, home canning, preserving, and more. Of course most of the food related stuff will get posted here - but you'll be missing out a lot if you don't follow the blog! The site has an RSS feed so you can stick it into your regular feed reader to stay informed on what's new.

I'm brewing tomorrow - first one of the season - and hope to have my brew session online at the end of the day.

2009 Mar 26
Got some meat prices from Costco for my matrix.

In general, meat at Costco is substantially cheaper than Loeb or Superstore, with a couple of exceptions.

Lean Ground Beef is the same price at Superstore and Costco.

Pork Chops are a fair bit cheaper at Loeb!

Loeb has some really cheap ribs that Superstore and Costco don't touch in price, but I'm not sure if it is an apples to apples comparison, would have to go back and check.

2009 Mar 27
I am definitely a Costco fan. However I noticed the prices on the products I buy at Costco are "generally" better that the supermarkets (Loeb, Loblaws, etc.) if you pay regular price. However I noticed from watching the flyers the supermarkets sale prices are better than Costco prices. On the other hand I find the Costco meat fresher and leaner but that's just my opinion... The only thing I won't buy there are fruits and veggies since I find they are a little pricey and not very fresh.

2009 Apr 18
Another simple tip is to buy the huge containers of food in bulk, and then can them up. From the article I just wrote : www.urbanhippy.ca/node/108

---snip---

A lot of us go to places like Costco and buy the huge containers of various food items because it saves us money - and it is usually an awful lot cheaper per ml to do this, no doubt about it! But the downside is of course that once you open the container, it takes up an incredible amount of room in your fridge, and you have to eat it quickly before it goes off. So you may end up overeating to get through it all, or losing some of your great savings to spoiled food.

Home canning to the rescue!

We've done this with a number of different huge containers at Costco, including Salsa, Salad Dressing, Wing Sauce and more. It is really quite simple - you just go through your regular canning procedure with the stuff you've bought. Clean your jars and so on, fill them, and can them up according to the same schedule you would use to can that item if you'd made it yourself.

Choose the appropriate-sized jars according to how much of it you think you'll use once opened. For salsa, for example, you might want to choose the smaller 250ml / 1 cup jars like we did in the video we'll be posting shortly to accompany this article.

This simple procedure is also a good foot-in-the-door if you don't yet do any home canning. You can start off just by canning up the store-bought stuff for reasons noted above, and eventually this may lead you into getting hooked on canning up your own stuff.

2009 Apr 19
Zym, that a fantasic idea, I usually pass up on large containers as I dont want to waste the rest of the contents, now I can save and enjoy the leftovers another time. You should really think of writing a book on all of your ideas, this could turn into a new career for you.

2009 Apr 19
And of course I have a video for it now :

:-)

2009 Apr 19
Hey Zy !!

You are a star !!

I like your stage name .... 'HippyUrban'. .... with 30 something videos !!

Your accent may not be Cape Bretonese ... but your voice sure have an East Coast ring to it. Even after all those years in Upper Canada.

As soon as I can get a used canner ... I'm soooooo in !!

I wonder if there is a way to check the safety release valve without blowing up the pot ? Or should one replace it with a new one ... just for safety sake ?

UsedOttawa.Com and Kijiji and Saint Vinnies ... Here I come.

2009 Apr 19
SVdP still has a 5 quart pressure COOKER for $12 Captain. You'll have to make your own call on whether or not it is safe to use as a canner. All the guides are very definitive on this : NO! But I used one for years before I broke down and bought a canner.

Spare pressure reliefs should be cheap - they are typically made out of the same rubber as the seal. I would not replace it though, if it looks fine. When that rubber starts to go, it is quite visibly in bad shape.

2009 Apr 19
Zy,

Thanks for the heads up on the cooker.

I want to play it safe and will wait for a proper canner to turn up.

Wow ... A new canner has as many 'warning labels' as a new ladder. See pic.

This project will have the Captain will reading all the directions etc. first before adventuring forward.

(I gotta remember all those kids toys that were wrongly put togeher at Xmas, because I did not read the instructions first.)

2009 Apr 19
I've been checking kijiji for some time Captain, and I have only ONCE seen a canner come up. It was in Halifax and I sent it to a buddy of mine who snagged it up quickly. It was an All American like in your picture - forget which model number, but it was a steal for 75 bucks. I paid about $500 for mine at Preston Hardware (they have numerous models in stock). They are cheaper on line.

EDIT: I would think you'd have far better luck scouting out yard sales in Little Italy

2009 Apr 23
Here is something that is frugal - eating food you found on the side of the road!

During the winter I was walking the Boy back from Judo and found that can of olives on the outside windowsill at Phnom Penh Noodle House . Since that same boy loves olives I took it home.

The can was bulged, which I know is warned against. But it is only a general rule of thumb for people to use who do not really know why they should not eat a can that is bulged. I figured it was probably bulging from having been frozen, and that if I took it home and left it on the shelf for a good long while, that time would tell whether or not it was OK.

Just made pizza tonight and opened that can of olives - it was fine. And yummy!

2009 Apr 23
Zym ... I'm in awe ... again ... over your practicallity when it comes to food. (And I got Scottish genes running all through me)

I'll call this picking up discarded (lost?) food, then consuming it ... Urban Foraging.

Now please Zym ... don't start dumpster diving ... or us Foodies will become scared.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++]

Imagine if I came across this overturned chicken truck ... I'd have chicken stock for a long time.

2009 Apr 23
Captain C - As it is Zym is freaking me out with his "resourceful" foodie techniques... too adventurous for my tastes!

The topic of "Dumpster Diving" has come up here before anyone remember this old post - Freegans - www.ottawafoodies.com

2009 Apr 23
I'd eat those chickens Captain!

And I've done Urban Foraging a fair bit in my day, and have a tag for it already on my Urban Hippy site. Gonna write a special entry for this in fact.

As for Urban Foraging, as a kid we always used to camp out in the back yard in the summer and walk over to New Glasgow to the Tim Hortons and dumpster dive for the bags of day-old donuts. They would always put the donuts in their own garbage bag.

I did the same thing in Wolfville in 1991 at age 25 and they were still putting the day olds in their own bag :-)

2011 Jun 1
Thought this was an excellent resource and thought I would share:
flyeronfire.com

2011 Jun 1
Here is something I only found out about recently. If you have freezer burned items, they may be salvageable. Put them in warm water just long enough to get them out of the old packaging, put them into a freezer bag and slather over generously with some Cool Whip (the stuff in the tub). It has to be real Cool Whip (a single tub of Cool Whip can do a lot of freezer burnt stuff).

Put the package into the fridge and let it thaw out completely, very slowly, in the Cool Whip marinade. A couple of days later you can rise off the cool whip and cook the meat into a stew or something like that. It really works - no freezer burn off flavor. If the item is not too thick and the cool whip can get into the freezer burnt parts, this works really well. Not sure of the science behind it though, from the ingredients Cool Whip is mostly a combination of various oils and sugars.