Where to eat in Toronto? [General]

2007 Jan 29
This weekend we are going to Toronto and staying downtown, around Dundas and Chestnut.....I'm just wondering if anyone knows any place within walking distance of this area that is yummy and still not super overpriced?

2007 Jan 29
this is unrelated (i apologize, but i figured i'd ask a question in this topic since it's Toronto related).. :) Has anyone ever eaten at Luce or Rain?
reviews?

2007 Jan 29
Sneaky Dee's

Mexican food, open late, boisterous and loud atmosphere (at 2 AM), very casual, graffiti all over the walls.

Amazing food!! I love this place. Can't wait to go back.

www.sneaky-dees.com/

There's also a great pub style place we went for breakfast, which is gay-friendly..(not saying anything about you, but it might help locating it) and I can't remember the name. Awesome breakfast at a really good price..I'll msg my ex and see if he can remember what it was.

2007 Jan 29
If you want a memorable experience, pop into Il Bunji on Bloor and have the Beef Bulgogi for two. You will gorge on delicious beef, grilled at your table with loads of complimentary side dishes and a bargain price. At least that's how it was 6 years ago when we last had it! ;-)

2007 Jan 30
I like:

- "Hernando's Hideaway" on Wellington (between Union Station and the St. Lawrence Market) - great chimichangas

- "Utopia" on College - nice eclectic menu - I believe I had the "Fish and Chips" which was actually a salmon fillet fried in panko with showstring potatoes- cute!. They'll also make anything on the menu vegetarian from what I remember.

- "The Green Room" on Bloor and Brunswick. This place is a kinda funky cafe/bar, good food at a good price. It's REALLY hard to find though. You have to turn off Bloor onto Brunswick and then they'll be an alley on your right, then you have to go down the alley to find the place.

- If you have time, go down to the St. Lawrence Market - all kind of vendors - foodie's paradise! I usually make the trip over there just for the peameal bacon sandwiches from Carousel (droooooollllllll...)

- Virtually anything in Chinatown will be cheap and tasty. BBQ Pork, dumplings, heaping plates of noodles. For vegetarians: Bo De Doyen is doing some CRAZY things with thier vegetarian fare - they are the leaders in terms of fake meats in my book - last time I was there I had thier vegetarian duck - surprisingly close to the real thing.

- "Big" sushi restaurant on Bloor. Very tasty and surprisingly cheap. BBQ eel roll was excellent.

2007 Jan 31
Best meal I ever had in TO was at Lees on King. Was great for a big group.

2007 Jan 31
Thanks everyone...i'll make a list of these and hopefully we'll be able to choose one! Anyone else have any more ideas?? Much appreciated....

2007 Feb 1
BTW...these recos are affordable, you can really stretch a dollar in TO, I manage to eat out all the time and the wallet doesn't suffer!
Papa Ceo on Spadina (near Bloor) is a crazy good slice of pizza.
Kilgour's (Bloor in the annex) has some of the best pub grub (amazing wings).
Le Paradis (on Bedford) a real gem for French Bistro fun.
Insomnia (Bloor in the annex) has superb breakfast.
Enjoy!

2007 Feb 26
On the topic of taking advantage of a trip to Toronto by buying food there and driving back to Ottawa, warehouse shopping for Italian dry goods can be done at a place called the Seafood Depot at Weston just south of 407 www.torontolife.com

It is not elegant but it is inexpensive and lots of variety. The trunk of the car was full.

Has anyone seen anything comparable in Ottawa (other than CostCo)?