Lusting for Lecithin [General]

2009 Jan 8
(Well, not really, but I figured it made for a catchy subject line.)

However, I *do* need some lecithin granules, and I was wondering if anyone knew a good spot to go for them, preferably downtown or in the east end. I'm sure a bunch of places carry them but I don't want to have to make too many trips or go too far in this cold weather trying to find some :-).

Thanks!

2009 Jan 8
Bulk Barn is busting at the seams with lusty lecithin. Try not to get any on your chin.

2009 Jan 9
Hahaha! Thanks, Chimichimi... I really appreciate it, especially since that's extra-convenient for me (I'm right by the Gloucester Centre)! I'll be running over to get a bunch to mix into kava kava drinks when my order arrives from Hawaii.

2009 Jan 9
No prob. Just a note, of all of the Bulk barn's I've been to the lecithin is usually around the spices or the sprinkles if I remember correctly... you should call ahead to confirm to avoid disappointment, however, the Bulk barns at Carlingwood & Merivale both have it.

2009 Jan 9
Hey Vorpal !!

Kava Kava !!! Kewl !!!

What for are you getting from Hawaii ? Fresh roots ? Dried roots ? Powdered root ? Etc ?

I've tried the powder but would really like to get my hands on some fresh root.

I consider Kava Kava similar to Khat ... an ethnobotanical which is usually poo-pooed in North America because it can be considered a 'drug' (... and booze isn't ... go figure.)

For the non-hip (and squares) out there: Wiki says: "Kava is a tranquilizer primarily consumed to relax without disrupting mental clarity." and "Kava is used for medicinal, religious, political, cultural and social purposes throughout the Pacific."

Pic is Fijians preparing Kava Kava in a traditional grinding bowl.

Enjoy your numb tongue and lips !!

2009 Jan 10
Captain Caper: Thanks! I used to drink kava nearly nightly for several years before the temporary Canadian ban on it due to the reported cases of liver failure in Europe. Now that the ban's been lifted, I believe due to the fact that it's strongly suspected that the liver damage was caused by supplements containing extracts from parts of the plant other than the roots (which have hepatoxins), I'm eager to start again.

I, too, have only tried the dry powder. I've ordered one pound of dry, ground Vanuatu kava and one of Fiji kava from Kava Kauai (google should turn up the site). Good prices and waka grade kava, meaning it's made only with lateral roots, which is where the kavalactones are generally most concentrated. They're also prompt with shipping: I ordered Thursday evening and my order was shipped Friday. I'm hoping it won't take too long to arrive.

I really enjoy the earthy, soapy taste of kava and the numb lips, tongue and throat. While I don't find it tremendously intoxicating, I'd compare it to Valium but without the sleepiness and still having its own unique character. I also find it a huge enhancer to creativity, which is predominantly why I enjoy it: I like to make a large quantity of kava drink in the evenings and consume while engaging in some creative writing. I find that I feel more inspired and that things flow very well.

I haven't tried khat myself, as I tend to come pre-stimulated (which is why things like kava are good for me). Have you, and how did you find it?

I've been highly interested in trying coca tea, but I believe importing any part of the coca plant is illegal in Canada, unfortunately. I wish I'd taken advantage of the opportunity to order some when I was living in the US.

2009 Jan 10
Herb and Spice in Wellington Village has lecithin, but you have to buy an enormous bag of the stuff. Their Bank St. location might have it as well.

Remember that lecithin is perishable--I would only buy it at a place that is known to have high turnover and/or keeps it refrigerated. Once you buy it, store in the fridge or freezer.

2009 Jan 14
Just a follow-up for anyone interested. As I mentioned, I placed my order on Thursday, January 8th, and it arrived today, six days later! Very prompt. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm eagerly looking forward to it soon and will be having a kava-fest this weekend with friends.