Purple Cow - Gone? [Food/Vendor]

2009 Jan 7
A friend of mine is currently pregnant - she's due in May. She used to live in Ottawa and has been CRAVING the caramel apples from Purple Cow. Anyhow, her boyfriend was in Ottawa this past weekend and was going to get her one, but went to Purple Cow only to find it was completely shut down, with no signs of where it might have gone to, or if it's just closed for the season, or what.

Anyone know what happened? Are they opening somewhere else? I've tried searching google and a few other places and nada.

2009 Jan 7
Hmm we got a little gift basket from Purple Cow for Christmas. Out of curiousity I just tried calling them and their phone line just kept ringing...

2009 Jan 7
Yup, it is indeed gone. I wish they'd made it more obvious - I would have stocked up!

I don't know if this was you posting (I assume it was, but I will repost it here for others), but some replies on the Ottawa livejournal community have turned up this:

"Alas, they are gone for good, at least from the Glebe. The landlord that owns the building hiked up the rents for all those stores (and the apartments above). Apparently a kids' clothing store is going in there, as rumour has it."

and

"Purple Cow is apparently relocating to the Market. The exact address I do not know."

2009 Jan 13
I heard that after Christmas, they would still be creating their delicious creations out of their farm in Greeley. Apparently, they are taking orders and will be coming into the city to make deliveries (not sure how often??)

2009 Jan 24
What a shame.

There are not enough interesting shops in the Glebe and the Purple Cow had great ice cream and chocolate and yes, the caramel apples in the window.

Another kid's store ?
BORING and generic.

The Glebe needs to be spiced up and re-created into a destination for singles, those without little kids or for those longing for good food ( like a medium priced French bistro with terrific steak frites ).
Hurray for The French Baker.

Landlords, sometimes you forsake the flavor of a street while lining your pockets with more gold.
Look to Toronto ,Montreal and Vancouver to understand the importance of dynamic flourishing neighbourhoods.

The Glebe is sorely lacking.

2009 Jan 27
Liza Bleu - Although I agree that neighbourhoods are pretty amazing in the BIG 3 (Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver) for the size of Ottawa in general I think we are doing ok in the neighbourhoods "within the city". In the years that I've lived in Ottawa, I've seen a vast improvement (The Glebe, Rockcliffe Village (Beechwood), Hintonburg, Westboro, to name but a few). What is lacking... is something more interesting besides sprawling parking lot malls and big box stores for suburbia... hard to find a decent neighbourhood stroll out here, something that does exist in the burbs for the Big 3 (ie. Mississagua Town Centre, Oakville, Montreal's West Island).

2015 Sep 8
We went to the Purple Cow today. They are at the corner of Fisher and Colonnade. We both had the ice cream and needless to say, we will not be darkening Baskin and Robbins doorstep any time soon. Such fabulous ice cream and very generous servings. I had a salted caramel candied cashew one. They were also selling chocolate and nuts.

2015 Sep 9
I have seen the Purple Cow chocolates for sale at Nicastro's on Bank st, in the Glebe.
Also,I think Purple Cow used to have a nut and candy shoppe on Bank st in the Glebe (where David's tea is now) and used to be the same people as "the nut house" on Sparks st, if anyone actually remembers that.

Colonade Rd is quite far for me now,but if I can get someone to drive me I will go.
I still kind of like Baskin Robbins,but now make my own rocky road version with chocolate gelato,vegan marshmallows and nuts...

2015 Sep 9
On the outside there is a sign that says Morrow's Nut House. I do remember them being on Sparks street but then I'm practically ancient. They used to sell candied ginger enrobed in dark chocolate which I used to love.

2015 Sep 9
Yup.
when I was a kid my dad would always stop for their macadamia nuts. I do not know how they got them so fresh.
The bulk barn nuts just suck...

Stubbe has some very good ginger in dark chocolate, or elsenuts.com does too.

I think I might have seen Purple Cow at Westgate mall during chrismas time, they have a table there.