Xmas gift for Scotch lover? [General]

2008 Dec 21
Hey folks, looking for an Xmas gift for Scotch lover, but it cannot be actual Scotch. I was thinking a nice decanter and glasses (McIntosh &Watts ???).
Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Phil

2008 Dec 21
A decanter and glasses is always nice. Try to avoid a lead crystal decanter because the lead does leach out. I'm not too worried about lead crystal glasses because the drink doesn't sit in it for hours or even days.

Too bad you can't buy actual Scotch. There are one or two bottles of Aberlour A'bunadh left in Ottawa's LCBOs. I've been agonizing over whether or not to blow the $93 on a bottle but time is making the decision for me. :\

2008 Dec 21
Draft Diner - A decanter is of course a great idea, but like Fresh Foodie said make sure it is lead-free. I also echo the comments on too bad you can't buy scotch (sure there is a good reason, but geez there are like 100s of kinds of scotch). That is like telling a wine lover not to buy wine!?

Here's another idea, a great book on Scotch. If you check out www.chapters.indigo.ca and type in "malt scotch" a bunch of results come up... I'm thinking that if the person is a scotch lover they'd appreciate such a reference / coffee table book.

2008 Dec 21
Thanks for the suggestions ! The reason I can't get him any actual Scotch is that, well, he pretty much has everything. He has a dedicated 400 sq. ft. tasting room. You don't want to know the value of his cellar list...it is shocking...

2008 Dec 21
How about a flask?! ;)

2008 Dec 22
Doesn't a flask promote 'consumming of alcohol in a public place' ? See ---> www.ottawafoodies.com <---.

With a huge collection of Scotch maybe a bottle of Aspirin could come in handy at times.

When I see Scottish Scotch drinkers I usually see red noses. So maybe a bottle of liquid foundation to help with the Rudolf Effect would be welcome.

2008 Dec 22
Michael Jackson (not the singer...obviously) has an excellent catalogue of titles to choose from if you're thinking of getting a book. We recently picked up a book entitled "Whiskey" which covered a lot of different things from scotch to bourbon etc - it was lovely and coffee-table worthy and ended up on our Christmas list after we gave it. And Jackson is an authority on all things alcohol. Oh, ps, we ordered from Chapters online as it was $12 cheaper than buying the roughed up copy we found in the store (and we got free shipping).

2008 Dec 22
Lots of clear ruban tape, and a kilt? More seriously, I don't know what your scotch room looks like, but I imagine a dark leather wingback chair, illuminated by a floor standing bankers lamp. And the guy sitting in the chair, is wearing a very classy robe or smoking jacket while enjoying a dram.
So a gift list if you don't have it might be:
Leather chair
Bankers lamp
robe/smoking jacket

Of course I don't have a scotch room, so my advice is suspect...

2008 Dec 23
Fresh foodie: get the bottle of A'bunadh. It's well worth it. ;) I got a bottle for my husband a few years ago and it's become his favourite scotch.

2008 Dec 23
Candice, it's already my favourite scotch! But with a fairly full liquor cabinet the price of said scotch makes me balk a little. Although I discovered it through a friend a good two years ago, I did just have the honour of enjoying a hefty glass of it at the Parasol bar at Wynn in Las Vegas just six days ago. :-)

2008 Dec 31
An update on the a'bunadh. I decided to buy some using a gift card I received from work. Even though the LCBO website claimed some inventory in Ottawa it turns out the numbers are off and there's none to be had.

I ended up finding it across the river at the SAQ for $17 *less* than the LCBO. It pays to shop around! They still have a few bottles under lock and key at the 948 Maloney Ouest location if anyone's interested.

Incidentally, since this scotch is cask strength (~ 60%) it's actually quite a bargain. At $76 per 750 mL, this works out to around $50 per 750 mL when diluted to 40% alcohol.