New BreakieTag ? [General]

2008 Dec 15
Ok, so every once in awhile I'm in a situation when I'm thinking I'd like to find an all day breakfast. Ya know it, you've been out partying the night before, sleep in late, and wake up wanting some greasy bacon and eggs but the clock has passed 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon. On several occasions I've thought... I know I can find something on Ottawa Foodies... and search as I might I find a lot of great recommendations (Bacon & Eggs Breaky, Brunch and even Sunday Brunch)... but alas no list of the places that have an all day Breakfast. So I am suggesting we add that TAG... as it would be a great searchable item.

Outside of a Denny's (which have all but disappeared from the Ottawa food scene) I can't think of anywhere else that one can get breakie all day long.

In the meantime... can anyone else thing of places that serve an all day breakie?

2008 Dec 15
Rockwells on Merivale Road serve all day and night breakfast. They are open 24 hours and always seem to have cars in the parking lot at all hours. There breakfasts are the usual plus a few different omelettes such as the smoked meat, Greek- feta cheese and Western. Home fries are the deep fried variety but tasty with added onions.

2008 Dec 15
I hear you, rare that I can get it together before the usual 11am cut off for breakfast!

Weekends the Mayflower on Elgin has a good greasy spoon style breakfast all day.

Benny's bistro is open for brunch until 2:30 on weekends, delicous!

The Urban Pear has brunch on Sunday's until 2pm. The menu changes all the time but they use to, may still have, a peameal bacon and egg sandwich that could cure the worst of hangovers!

Any day of the week Dunn's on Elgin has an all day/all night breakfast that does the job.

Cora's also serves all day breakfast I think until 4pm or 5 pm.

Then there is the take way version I am addicted to at the moment, bacon and egg sandwich from Starbucks. Sell them at any time of day/night.

2008 Dec 15
Zak's Diner in the market also has an all day/night breakfast.

2008 Dec 15
I can't believe Elgin St. Diner wasn't recommended - it's 24-hours of breakfast there!

2008 Dec 15
Unfortunately not all Denny's have disappeared. There is one on Clyde between Baseline and Merivale.

There is a place in the Fairlawn Plaza(across from Carlingwood) called "Fairlawn all day breakfast." I have never eaten there but it definately has the greasy spoon ambiance plus Ottawa Sens decorations all over.

2008 Dec 15
Great info, keep 'em coming... As I said I am especially interested in those spots that don't have a shut-off point, they serve Breakfast whenever they are open.

Cakelady - Rockwell's Rockwell's is new to me but I'll be sure to check it out.

MMF - I knew about Dunn's Dunn's Famous Deli and Cora's Cora's (although I think they close a tad earlier, like 3:00 PM in my experience). And I have added the Starbucks bacon & egg sandwich to my list of things to try. Haven't been to the Mayflower The Mayflower Restaurant on Elgin in years, for some reason I don't remember their all-day breakie.

Gardener Mom & Chimichimi - Of course both Zak's Zaks Diner and the Elgin Street Diner Elgin Street Diner are all day breakie staples, and are at the top of any Ottawa resident's Breakie List.

Pan Bagnat - Hmmm... Denny's Denny's I thought the only one still breathing was at Southkeys off of Bank. Although the rest of the Denny's menu is pretty much deplorable, I have on more than one occasion had Pancakes for a late night eat. Not familiar with the Fairlawn (and I see neither is anyone else on OF as it doesn't even have a page here) but I will make a note to check it out.

2008 Dec 15
The Fairlawn diner, or restaurant, or whatever it's called, has a really good straight up, no frills breakfast. It's a straight up old school greasy spoon. They close on Sundays, so don't go looking that day!
Edit: they also have the best retro coffee mugs ever.

2008 Dec 15
Ever notice that the Breakfast Places/Diners in the US quite often have menu's that have lots of pictures so illiterate can order by pointing to what they want.

Their education system must be in real big trouble.

2008 Dec 15
Literacy scores from IALLS show we aren't so far off, Cap'n.

2008 Dec 16
My own illiteracy aside, I really appreciate having photos of food on my menu so I know exactly what I'm ordering. In fact, that was one of my inspirations for this site.

Anyway, I think the All-day Breakfast tag is a good idea. I'll add it and try to keep it up to date based on this topic.

EDIT: Here it is - ottawafoodies.com/tag/118

2008 Dec 16
Fresh Foodie - Thanks, much appreciated.

I will keep my eyes open and let you know if I come across any places that have an all-day breakfast item(s) on their menu.