Oversize wine glasses [General]

2008 Dec 10
Does anyone know where I could find those oversize wine glasses that hold a whole bottle of wine in Ottawa??

2008 Dec 10
I saw some gigantic ones at Domus about a week ago. I don't know the volume, so I can't say for sure if they hold a whole 750 ml bottle.

2008 Dec 10
The Glebe Emporium and C.A. Paradis have a large selection of stemware including really big wine glasses. Not sure if they wil hold an entire bottle of wine but it might be worth investigating.

2008 Dec 10
I have seen them at the Glebe Emporium for certain. Also, oldly enough, I'm pretty sure Miss Tiggy Winkles sells them, but as a joke-glass if you will.

2008 Dec 10
Foodlover - Ok as a wine lover, the kind who really loves and cares for wine... vs the type of wine lover who just can't get enough... I have to ask the obvious question "Why?".

Pouring a whole bottle of wine into a glass does nothing for the wine.

Obviously this is just a gimmick, along the lines of those yard-o-beer glasses.

Although I don't know where to buy such a glass... I can tell you that some of the largest glassware being used in the city that I've come across is at Daly's in the Westin Hotel Daly's . The first time I ate there I was blown away by the size of the glass... the waiter gives you and your companion a pour, and a refill, and the whole bottle of wine disappears very quickly. Wonder if it ups their amount of second bottle sales.

2008 Dec 10
Thanks everyone...this is a big help! I'll try the Glebe Emporium.....and F&T, it's sorta both, a gimmick gift and I think my sis could seriously pour a whole bottle of wine in one glass and drink it! But...more of a joke than serious....it will be sent along with some of our homeade wine ;)

2008 Dec 10
Foodlover - Sounds like a great gift idea.

2008 Dec 17
Thanks so much for the idea! We're doing a wine theme for our wedding and this could do the trick for our centrepieces. :)

2008 Dec 17
Years ago when I worked at Birks we used to sell huge brandy snifters. I'm not sure how many people really used them for drinking brandy but most customers told me they would be using them to fill with potpourri or floating candles.

2008 Dec 17
Nanoonk - Nice idea indeed for the wedding, and I love your theme.

You could as Pasta Lover said fill them with potpourri, floating candles, a beautiful floating flower (seen that one done with those oversized brandy snifters), or have your florist do something really striking with them as part of a bigger floral arrangement perhaps built up inside the glass. Cool!