Where to find coffee roasting bags [General]

2008 Dec 7
I'm wondering if anyone either
a) self-roasts coffee
or
b) knows of somewhere that does

I'm looking for coffee bags, the ones made from a hemp like material (I can never remember what it's called). I've become quite attached to DIY projects for the holiday season, especially the baskets below, for knitting and other accessories...

mayamade.blogspot.com

Any help would be wonderful :)

2008 Dec 7
I know the Tea Party on York St. used to sell them but I haven't been there in a while. You could probably try any of the roasters around town: Francesco's on Bank St., Equator in Almonte, La Brulerie in Hull etc.

2008 Dec 7
I've been roasting all my own coffee for the past couple of months -- it makes one feel like a bit of a fanatic, but the results are pretty nice. :-)

I'm not sure what kind of bags you're seeking. Do you mean for storing the green beans prior to roasting?

2008 Dec 7
I think she means the huge sacks that the green beans are shipped in - 25kg at a time. You could probably get some from Francesco, coffee.ca or the place out in Almonte - equator.

2008 Dec 7
Zymurgist is right on. The 25kg bags are what I'm after, I'll try Inkling suggestions for sure :) Thanks!

2008 Dec 8
I think the word we've all been looking for is 'burlap'? It just came back to me.

2008 Dec 8
International Kafia will likely have a stack of them, since they do the roasting on-site. Just off of Carling, on Boyd.

2008 Dec 8
Burlap, yes...but also Jute is another term.
Momomoto, where abouts off Carling is that?

2008 Dec 9
LHB: The power of Google Maps.

For Boyd just off Carling click this link : maps.google.com,-95.677068&sspn=43.848534,53.964844&ie=UTF8&z=16&g=Carling+and+Boyd+ottawa&iwloc=addr

2008 Dec 9
Captain C - Google is one of my favourite resources... I use it each and every day. Wikipedia is another great resource. But like all things on the net they are not always 100% accurate (unfortunately).... map programs in particular seem to have glitches.