LCBO Vintages Release - December 6, 2008 [General]

2008 Dec 2
As I know there are many fans of Clos Jordanne Pinot Noir from the last time the topic came up: ottawafoodies.com/forum/543

I thought I'd mention that the 2006 Pinot Noir is on the Vintages Release for this Saturday.

Here is the Review from Rod Phillips WinePointer Newsletter:

Le Clos Jordannne ‘Village Reserve’ Pinot Noir 2006
VQA Niagara Peninsula $30.00 (33894)
RATED = 4 STARS, Cellar for 3 to 5 years

This is a fine, well-made pinot noir that delivers elegance along with solidity. The flavours are well-tuned and structured, and they’re complemented by well-managed acidity that makes this a wine for food. Pair it with duck breast or grilled lamb.

and from Winecurrent.com

RATED = 4-1/2 STARS, Cellar for 3 to 5 years

The Village Reserve label is the entry-level wine from Le Clos—a blend of three different vineyards: Talon Ridge, Le Clos Jordanne and Claystone Terrace. The Village Reserve Pinot is excellent value with rather intense floral, mocha, cherry, cassis, and earthy and floral aromas. On the palate it’s dry and medium weight with tart acidity, fine, tightly wound tannins, 12.5% alcohol and good balance. Very well made and easily one of the top three Pinots from Ontario.

2008 Dec 5
And don't forget the Chardonnay, too! Since I didn't order any (have no need for six bottles of that stuff ;) ) I may rush down to the Ell-Cee and pick some up tomorrow.

Le Clos Jordanne 06 Chardonnay 'Village Reserve'
33936 $30.00

To contrast with WinePointer, I'll quote from Billy Munnelly's Vintages Picks:

Bold flavours along with great vitality and vigour. Very impressive and very complete. Enjoy with grilled food. Over the next two years.

I don't drink much in the ways of big-honkin' whites, but I always always always have a bottle or two of Niagara Chardonnay on hand, just in case some lobster drops by unexpected.

I find California Chards are often too overpowering for me, and Niagara ones are a bit less hedonistic and a bit more food-friendly.

2008 Dec 5
Momomoto - Yes, I saw the listing for the Chardonnay as well, but I chose only to list the Pinot Noir because so many spoke of it in the past.

Like you I am a bigger fan of Niagara Chardonnnays than the California variety. As for Mr Lobster... whenever he does come by for dinner, I also like him with Sparkling or Champagne, or a down-under Sauvignon Blanc.

2008 Dec 5
I'll be looking for both of the Clos Jordannes, but only in tiny quantities... sigh. As is typical for this time of year, there is a boatload of very expensive stuff... average bottle price for this release is $50! I wonder if they'd rethink that if they knew a recession was looming when they planned the release.

If you're a Riesling fan, check out the 2001 (!) Schloss Schonborn... looks to be one of the few bargains at $15.95. Got a good review from the Wine Access folks. Also worthy of note is the 2006 Malivoire Gewurztraminer - one of the best examples of that variety from Niagara. And, I think I'll pick up a bottle of Henry of Pelham Cuvee Catherine Brut for our New Year's bubbly. Cheers!

2008 Dec 6
BDM - The good news is according to my "wine guy at the LCBO" this is the last release before Christmas... and yes this release is indeed an expensive one. He told me that that was intentional, the quality of the releases getting better from October thru December... with the idea that wine affectionados anticipation would build. And I guess hopefully that people would spend some big bucks in the 8 or 12 weeks leading up the Christmas. Unfortunately, this recession that is sneaking up on all of us has caught not just the Consumer off guard but also the Retailers. Quite a contrast to this time last year when things were just booming along when no doubt the LCBO started planning their strategy for Christmas 2008 marketing.

As for me, I'm going to pick up a couple of bottles too... but like you I'll also be looking for a few bargains to put in the cellar (the Schloss Schonborn looks like a good one). "The Man" on the otherhand, is now pouring over the entire Release (October thru December) and trying to decide which ones (only a couple mind you) are worthy of a significant investment. Sort of a Chrismtas Present to himself. LOL

2008 Dec 6
Success at long last, after missing out on several past releases on both sides of the river. It better be good! :-) There's a very large stock of the Clos Jordanne Pinot Noir at multiple locations around the city, so anyone who wants some should be in good shape...don't delay though.

2008 Dec 8
Bought a couple of cases of the '06 Village Reserve Pinot...excellent, Old-World style. I don't think I will cellar it for 3 to 5 years as a reviewer suggested above. I like the freshness as it stands, and I wonder if the tannins will hold up for even three years. It was great with Osso Buco.

Incidentally, the only restaurant I find Le Clos Jordanne Pinot at consistently is Johnny Farina's.

Also had the '05 Le Grand Clos Pinot recently--magnificent. That one will age majestically for years.