Rugelach Recipe Review [Cooking]

2008 Dec 2
I have been busy in the kitchen testing holiday cookie recipes. I have my favourite Christmas cookie recipes, but I had never made Rugelach, a Hanukkah classic. My most trusted source for new recipes is Fine Cooking magazine, so I searched the online index. I found two, and they looked equally delicious, so I decided to try them both.

2008 Dec 2
The Classic Rugelach recipe can be found at: www.taunton.com

2008 Dec 2
The Rugelach (with Jam) recipe can be found at:
www.taunton.com

2008 Dec 2
The classic rugelach are made with a cream cheese dough that can also be used to make Chocolate Brownie Bowties or Cardamom Palmiers. That recipe can be found here:
www.taunton.com

2008 Dec 2
Comparing the basic doughs I though at first that the variances in flour and cream cheese could be explained by the yield (the Rugelach makes about 40 pieces, while the Classic Rugelach yields 72 if you don’t make bowties or palmiers and triple the filling requirement) but the slight differences came up as two very different doughs. The Rugelach are flaky, while the Classic crescents roll much thinner and turned out crispier.

They were both very easy to work with. Usually I hate making rolled cookies, but these came together nicely. I took the ‘roll out in saran wrap step’ from the Classic recipe and used it for both. I particularly enjoyed the techniques for shaping the cookies, and this is why I love Fine Cooking.

To make the crescents, roll the disc of dough out like a pie top and slice into twelve wedges. I used a pizza wheel. Then top with the filling, press the filling in with your pin and roll up. I had pictured lots of measuring and cutting to get triangles from rectangles, like how they come out of a Pillsbury tube). I love the disc technique because there is no wastage. Rerolled trim always shrinks up because you have developed the gluten resulting in misshapen cookies. I know you can let it rest again in the fridge but I like to get the mess over with in one go!

The Rugelach filled with jam were also very easy to make. As I mentioned I rolled this pastry out in saran wrap too. I recommend wiping down the counter with a damp cloth to make the saran less static-y. This also makes any little wrinkles you cant smooth out stick to the counter instead of getting tangled up in the dough. I noticed that my saran is twelve inches wide so I didn’t have to find, wash and dirty a ruler to measure out the required 13 inch length. I just laid a cross piece of saran under the one I was rolling on to mark how far to roll. I liked that I only had to prepare one roll to make 10-12 cookies. The crescents do get a little tedious to form after the first twelve dozen! I also realised pretty quickly that my tight chef technique was too heavy handed. We are not making sushi here, roll ‘em up loosely and leave a 1 inch edge on the side away from you or you’ll squish all the jam out like I did at first.

I though for sure I would have a favourite but they are both beautiful. The Jam filled rolls look like jewels in the cookie tin, crowned with a topping of pistachios, and the crescents are a great addition to an assorted tin made of mostly round cookies. I brought a tin to our family dinner for a taste test on Sunday and everyone said I should definitely make both for the Craft Sale. The kids particularly enjoyed the ones I filled with three kinds of chocolate chips.

Yes! If my review has made your mouth water, but you just don’t have the time to make them yourself, I will be at the:

Gift and Craft Sale
Temple Israel
Prince of Wales Between Baseline and Meadowlands/Hog’s Back
Sunday Dec 7th from 10am-3pm.

You can try these Rugelach, my other holiday cookies plus I’ll be making a big pot of soup. I will also have gift certificates available from My Chef At Home. If you can’t make the sale, but would still like to order, e-mail me at Nikola@MyChefAtHome.ca

Cheers & Happy Holiday Cooking
~Nikola

2008 Dec 2
I have been using both recipes for years and found them great. Easy to rollout and lipsmacking good to eat. Tip, make lots as your guests will want to take some home.
Have also used apricot jam ( homemade) and fig jam in the roll up version.
Nutella mixed with some chopped died fruit is a great filling for the crescents.
Carry on baking everyone, its a great stress reliever!!

2008 Dec 3
Hi Cakelady. Don't you just love Fine Cooking!. If anyone is trying to think of a great foodie gift idea for under $30, a subscription to Fine Cooking is the way to go.

MMmmmmm Nutella sounds delicious, like crepes in Paris. But doesn't it run out the edges during baking? I wanted to fill some with peanut butter, but I thought it might run. I thought of adding an egg mixed into the peanut butter but I suspect as a filling it might turn into the peanutbutter cookie recipe from the Kraft Jar. Anyone?