Where Everyone Knows Your Name [General]

2008 Nov 30
Was out doing some shopping the other night when I decided to grab a bite to eat at a Roadhouse near the mall. Turns out we walked in in the midst of a full-house sell out fundraiser for a regular customer who had passed away earlier this Fall. Fellow regulars had organized the fundraiser in memory of the deceased and funds raised were going to a charity in his name.

The restaurant had cooperated by offering a special table d’hote menu, and a beer tasting. As well there were door prizes etc. During the evening a toast was raised in honour of the departed.

I have been to a variety of fundraisers over the years, but this was a first for me... where a bunch of friends some of them just acquaintances who had chatted with the chap from time to time, got together to mark his passing. And I have to say I kind of liked it. Gave me a good feeling about the world, and how we might not all know each other deeply as say family, but our lives touch one another each and every day.

So I was wondering has anyone else ever been to such an event? Or do you have any thoughts on this concept?

2008 Nov 30
Wow! That is incredible. It does give one a little more faith in mankind.