new restaurants on preston... [Food/Vendor]

2008 Nov 29
on my walk today, i noticed a number of new restaurants about to open. of course, i forgot to write down the names, but here is what is coming soon.
black cat cafe
the green earth - vegetarian
korean
kiko (i think) - japanese
coffee shop - beside atelier

i am very excited about a new vegetarian offering and another coffee shop (for little italy, there aren't that many places that just do coffee.

while preston has always been a bit of a go-to spot, it is now becoming very diverse. there is already indian, turkish, pubs, italian, thai, with these new places we will have a little bit of everything.

2008 Nov 30
HipFunkyFun - I agree it is great all these new spots on Preston, hopefully this will bring more people to the Street as well. We have made them a priority place for us because a Restauranteur friend of ours on the street has told us that they are in for some tough times ahead. The City had the street torn up for most of 2008, and the construction will continue thru 2009 and 2010. To think that this street will be a mess for 3 years is incredible. It is hard enough to make a go of it in the Restaurant biz in normal times (add to the construction the current economic outlook) and it could be bleak times ahead. And to add insult to injury, the City of Ottawa has met with the Biz Owners and has offered them NO compensation in their taxes... so the street is torn up for 3 years, which keeps patrons away, and those who do come find the street closed off in sections (ie one way) and parking either a real hassle, or non existent.

So hopefully all the newbies will make it thru that first crucial year, and generate some interest in the other places on the street.

I encourage all foodies to make Preston a bigger priority over the next 2 years. Otherwise, this growth trend could definitely take a down turn.