Big Green Egg Question [General]

2008 Nov 17
I am looking for some advice on the Big Green Egg. Does anyone have one and which size? I am thinking Medium or Large. I'd imagine I would mostly smoke 2-3 racks of ribs or cook medium sized roasts. I could imagine doing a turkey, but just in the 15.lb area, which I see is the top end of the medium range and bottom of the large range.

I don't want to overbuy... but I also don't want to regret going bigger.

2008 Nov 18
Hello Hippo....I have a large egg and has I raise my own turkey's I bought one large enough to smoke them in. A large egg will suffice for a bird up to 20-22 lbs. Get a big beer can chicken set up and smoke them that way. The egg is great. So good I rarely use my stove anymore and cook on it 3-4 times weekly. Will grill the best steak's you have ever had. I have included a few useful links. Also a large egg will do anything a smaller egg can do but not vice versa.

CB

www.eggheadforum.com
www.uglybrothers.net/
www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

2008 Nov 18
I checked one out at a fireplace store, and I couldn't believe how heavy the lid was. I could barely lift it on the large one and can't imagine dealing with it hot. Could it have been set up wrong? If it is really that heavy it needs a hinge that *helps* you lift it...I'd go for the medium one, or you could get a Cabana boy to do the lifting....

2008 Nov 18
No there has to be a lid on it...It opens very easily.
If there was one it was improperly attached.

CB

2008 Nov 19
The egg is fantastic. Yes the lid is heavy at first initial pull but easily comes up once you get it up an inch or so. We have the large and find it is a perfect size. We do ribs on it and full pork shoulders... it is just right. I don't think you would regret getting the large. We were talked out of getting the xtra large, and that was the right decision, but i think we would have been sorry to only have the medium.

2008 Nov 19
Couldn't agree more,,,get the large.

CB

2008 Nov 19
Excellent, Thanks guys / gals. I'm going for the large.