Parkdale Market Survey [General]

2008 Nov 12
They haven't given much notice for this - I think tomorrow is the last day for input. Basically they are reshaping the Parkdale Market.

Please say "no" to "arts and crafts"! Please! I have to live here for gawd's sake!

ottawa.ca

2008 Nov 12
They sent these out by mail to the people in the immediate area, and they're doing something similar for the Byward Market. I think it's a good idea in theory, but it will be interesting to see how bureaucracy takes its toll on the nature of the markets....

EDIT: Here is the survey for the Byward Market, for those of us who shop both, and are fed us with the near-monopoly on stands held by the Cleroux family

ottawa.ca

2008 Nov 12
I would encourage everyone to follow zyg and LWB's lead. The local representation in both markets is dismal. Do your neighbor, your body, and the planet a favour and tell the city that you want greater access to the bounty available in our own backyards.

Doubling the fees is not enough! It only encourages importers to find ways to improve margins (by further reducing the quality of goods purchased at the depot).

2008 Nov 13
This is a fantastic idea. I've submitted my comments to the Byward Market survey.

Although I may be in the minority, I'd love to see store hours in the Market extended to 7:00pm on weeknights. I've lost count of the number of times I've been unable to buy what I want because I couldn't get there after work in time!

2008 Nov 13
MM- i agree completely, I rarely make it to the market on-time on weekdays so I save my trips until the weekend.

I have often wondered: If the market is geared towards locals rather than tourists as many produce vendors have told me (apparently they only sell a few fruits and novelties to tourists), why don't they make it accessible for people to do some after work shopping?

At least in the summer when we have after work daylight!

Perhaps the vast majority of Ottawa is out of the office well before 5:30...

2008 Nov 13
The majority of federal government employees are out of the office well before 5:30 (except for some level 5s....), hae you tried to catch a bus downtown after 3:30? Rush hour starts then, more or less.

To be honest, the thing that gets me is the concentration of two families with stalls at the Byward Market, one of which doesn't actually farm much of their stuff (they were selling strawberries on Tuesday. Alongside bananas and asparagus). Despite the efforts of the City to create a system to categorize produce, it doesn't really work, since produce coming from Ontario could just as well be from Leamington. Sorry to go off on a rant, but it frustrates me when I go to the market, and I ask someone where their peppers/tomatoes/apples are from, and they can't tell me.