Recycle for a greener Ottawa [General]

2008 Nov 12
This post is not strictly food related but more specifically related to the small appliances we use to heat/cook/prepare that food.

The forum topic on toasters that Canadian Bacon posted prompted me to add this information since I am sure that in this day and age of badly manufactured products we are probably all having to replace electronics or small appliances (food related or not) on a regular basis.

There is a company in Ottawa called Twenty Twelve Electronics Recycling that takes back among many other things, small appliances, in order to keep these things out of landfills. You can bring back kettles, toasters, microwaves, coffee makers, waffle irons etc.......(see their site for a complete list)and approximately 97% of what they take in is recycled. They charge a small fee per pound for what you bring in (approx .60/lb) so it is very reasonable.

We brought in a bunch of broken items that I had been saving for just such a place: vcr, 2 hairdryers and a coffee maker and it cost $7.00.

Here is the website for anyone who would like more information. I got their link from the City of Ottawa site under Recycling where there are many other links as well to other recycling options. You would be amazed at the stuff that we throw out that you can bring back in Ottawa. Check it out!!

www.tter.ca/

2008 Nov 12
Great find ksw. For those who don't want to pay by the pound to recycle their computers, Computer Recyclers www.computerrecyclersottawa.com will take the CPU boxes for free (they charge, like tter.ca for everything else)

2008 Nov 12
Pete-in-Ottawa: Do they take laptops as well, or just desktops?

2008 Nov 12
I'd give them a call, but I suspect that a laptop would also be free to recycle. The only downside (for them) is that it's very easy to separate the metal case from the circuit boards etc in a desktop, but less so in a laptop. Either way, won't hurt to ask... especially if it saves a few bucks.