Sweetbread Ideas [General]

2008 Nov 5
Hello everyone. I have some veal sweetbreads that I have no real idea how to prepare as I have never had or made them before.

My internet and cookbook searches suggest that braising them (in perhaps wine or stock) gives good results. Anyone have any good ideas for techniques/dishes?

2008 Nov 5
Mmmmm, one of my favorite things! I like them poached in a simple court bouillon(approx. 20 minutes), drain and press to make them more compact(easier to work with) and chill. Then slice into 1/4 inch slices, toss them in seasoned flour and fry them in clarified butter. Simple & delicious.

***very important before you braise them to soak them in milk (can also use water) for approx. 2 hours to clean them, rinse under cold water, remove any discolored parts, then place in a pot covered with cold water and and bring to a gentle boil, then simmer for 4-5 minutes.(3 minutes for lamb) Important to do as soon as you get them home as they are very perishable.

2008 Nov 5
That's the preparation that I'd go for, too. Poach, press, crust. Remember if you don't have any clarified butter kicking around that you can go to pretty well any Indian grocery store and buy ghee since it's, well, clarified butter.

I've only had veal sweetbreads once, at Beckta, and they were fantastic. Can't remember the wine pairing. Might have been Wildass White? Anyhoo, delish. Would order again in a heartbeat.

If you remember to, let me/us know how they work out for you. I'd love to make them at home, as well, and would welcome any suggestions/tricks.

2008 Nov 5
Tracinho - First let me clarify that I've never had Sweetbreads, so I'm not even sure if I'd like them.
;-)

But my ever handy Great Canadian Cookbook has some info. First as the others have said you have to parboil them. The instructions say soak in cold water for 30 minutes, drain. Cover with boiling water to which has been added a spoonful of vinegar or lemon juice and a little salt. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes, drain and plunge into cold water. Peel off the thin membrane.

Like MMF said the book states they are highly perishable.

The book also has a couple of recipes.
One for Breaded - similar to MMF's recommendation. And 2 others:

Creamed Sweetbreads

500 grams or 1 Lb of Sweetbreads
Salt & Pepper
Dash of Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbsp Butter
1 Cup of Rich Milk
2 Tbsp Flour

1. Parboil Sweetbreads, cut into thick slices.
2. From remaining ingredients prepare a White Sauce, add Sweetbreads.
3. Reheat, serve in Swedish Timbales, Patty Shells, Bread Cases or on Toast.

Variations - You can add cooked mushrooms, peas, diced chicken or ham.

Broiled Sweetbreads

1. Parboil Sweetbreads, slice in half.
2. Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with pepper and celery salt.
3. Broil on both sides until brown
Serve on fresh French Bread.

The latter recipe it says makes an excellent hot hors d'oeuvres

2008 Nov 5
don't forget to peel them, there is a very membrane around the sweetbreads that should be peeled off after poaching.

2008 Nov 5
Thanks Bruce, very important step, peeling the membrane! Otherwise impossible to chew.

2008 Nov 5
Thanks for all the info guys, I bought them frozen at the butcher shop so fortunately I am not working with a small window of opportunity to use them. Read a review in the NYTimes today where deep fried sweetbreads were mentioned as excellent. I think that may be the way I go, but I will prep them before frying as you have all highlighted above.

2008 Nov 6
One of my favorites dishes, though I’ve never cooked them for myself. Where can you get them fresh? Saslove's maybe.

CB

2008 Nov 28
Finally got around to taking my these pictures off of my camera.

To make deep fried veal sweetbreads I followed a hybrid of all of the suggestions provided above. Soaked them whole in salt water for two hours, then removed and chopped the sweetbreads into manageable chunks. I found the membrane didn't come off all together, it was more like little bits and pieces here and there, but it seemed to work out ok.

Then I simply dredged in seasoned flour, than beaten egg and then more seasoned flour before lightly deep frying in canola oil.

I made a quick parsley/lemon/garlic gremolata sauce and voila! Absolutely delicious, light (almost fluffy)with a delicate taste. They made a great appetizer.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. You can be sure they went towards a delicious result!

2008 Nov 29
This is interesting to me...I've NEVER even heard of veal sweetbreads before!! Is it a certain part of the animal? Why is it called sweetbread?

2008 Nov 29
Foodlover - my advice is not to ask what it is! Just try it if you are adventurous and its on the menu....

Cheers ;-)

2008 Nov 30
Foodlover - Just because you asked...

Sweetbreads are either the Thymus Gland or the Pancreas of young animals. Veal and Lamb are the most sought after. No one bothers with pork sweetbreads.

As MedicineJar said, it's probably one of those food items that you'd be better off not knowing what it is, but just go with the thought that it will taste good. And evidently it does... As for me I can't get past the concept of ORGAN Meat. Just a personal hang-up of mine.

2008 Nov 30
Who has Sweetbreads on their menu in Ottawa? I've always wanted to try them but have never come across them.

In terms of food, I will generally try anything once.

2008 Nov 30
I had sweetbreads as the chef-selected amuse-bouche while enjoying the Gastronomic Menu at Le Baccara Le Baccara.

A glance at their online menu shows that they do in fact have sweetbreads on their menu (in the "Main Courses" section):

Veal sweetbread and milk-fed piglet trotter tournedos, celeriac mousseline, maetake mushrooms and jumbo shrimp - $41

If you're intent on sampling that particular dish, I'd suggest asking if they still offer it when placing your reservation.

2008 Dec 1
Le Saint-O on St-Laurent near Hemlock does a nice job on their sweetbreads as well. Were did you buy them ?

CB

2008 Dec 1
As a quick addition to what I mentioned above, I did poach them very slowly for about 10 min before deep-frying....

2008 Dec 1
Oh god, don't know if I could try it now knowing what it is....I shouldn't have asked after all!!