french onion soup / cheap onions [General]

2008 Nov 1
Sobeys has 20 lbs of onions on for $5 (same deal for carrots and beets too, deal hunters)

I've never made french onion soup using only yellows, but hard to pass up that deal and not try. I'm slowly browning 5 lbs of them now, and suspect it will turn out well enough.

I'll be using a recipe similar to Alton Brown's (which I've tried and liked using other onions) but I will improvise on what I find in the pantry

www.foodnetwork.com

2008 Dec 8
Now if I could only find a cheap way to make beef stock! Last batch cost about $20 bucks for 4 quarts, paying for the bones and a bit of shank.

2008 Dec 9
You give up on a little depth of flavour but there is no MSG in this product.

I'm really happy with the results when I combine it with a few real roasted bones (usually from left overs).

2008 Dec 9
CC, I'm pretty sure that Cook's Illustrated rated Better Than Bouillon as one of their better "non-homemade" stocks or broths.

I usually use homemade dark chicken stock when I make French onion soup, as I can usually get chicken bones/parts for cheaper, and I like the way it works in this soup. I usually do a cross between Anthony Bourdain's and Thomas Keller's versions.

2008 Dec 9
Where can you buy "Better than Boullion?" I don't know that I have seen it.

2008 Dec 9

Pan: see ---> www.ottawafoodies.com <---

2008 Dec 9
Aye! aye! Captain... Thanks.