Local lamb [General]

2008 Oct 28
Hi everyone! I saw a couple of discussions here on the local pork (and probably beef as well). I'm a bit lamb lover, so I wonder where to you get your lamb, especially local one. I could hopefully share big purchases with a couple of my friends, so we could be interested in buying wholesale. thx!

2008 Oct 28
Search this site for Frank's number and call him. When you buy beef or pork from him, he'll source you lamb at no mark-up. But if you just want lamb he'll give you a number of a local farmer and you can make your own arrangements

2008 Oct 28
Moscovite there is one stand at the Lansdowne farmers market that sells local lamb. I believe the owners are from Lanark. They only sell smaller quantities of meat at the market but they sell shares in their CSA so you could probably get larger quantities of lamb if you choose to follow that route.

2008 Oct 28
The proprietor at Aubrey's in Byward Market always makes a point to mention the farm where he sourced his meat. He mentioned to me that he inspects all the parents for that year's order of animals. Prices are a bit high, but I have found quality to be beyond reproach, esp. with respect to his lamb.

2008 Oct 28
My fovorite mid-east store on Kirkwood Ave, The Al-Kalaa Mini Market Al-Kalaa Mini Market buys their lamb at local auctions, The inhouse butcher/owner will sell you a leg or a shoulder or any custom cut. Nice family business.

PS: The pic is of the place the store is named after.

2008 Oct 28
Actually good point Captain - an local Muslim grocer with a butcher should be able to get you good local lamb