Ottawa Food & Wine Fair: Tasting Alley [Events]

2008 Oct 26
Hi All! I'm still reasonably new to Ottawa and have never checked out the Food & Wine Fair. I'm mostly going for the wine, to be honest - I've entered the Algonquin Sommelier program and am hoping to eventually make wine a career.

I was checking out the website and saw this:

www.ottawawineandfoodshow.com

Which is "Tasting Alley VIP Experience"... from the website:

-----------------------------------
A special experience awaits the Wine enthusiast to complement their overall visit to the Ottawa Wine and Food Show. Sip, savour and sample premium Wines of the World. Paired with artisan breads, and international cheeses.

Guest Sommeliers will act as hosts within the Tasting Alley and will be available to answer questions. Ticket price includes entrance to the Ottawa Wine & Food Show, exclusive access to the main Tasting Alley via a separate entrance, a devoted coat check and VIP entrance to the Show floor.

Indulge in premium wines paired with artisan breads and assorted cheeses from around the globe.

Note: The Tasting Alley will feature Premium Wines available for tastings from around the world.

Wines served will be valued at $20.00 plus per bottle.

Includes sampling of Tasting Alley Wines, Exclusive VIP access and Admission to the Show.
-------------------------------------

Based on those of who you have more experience attending this event, do you think this seems worthwhile? It's for two hours on Friday and then there's one for two hours on Saturday.

Thanks!

2008 Oct 26
Meagicano - Hello, and let me be the first to welcome you on behalf of all the "winos" here at Ottawa Foodies.

Ok, I have been attending the Ottawa Wine & Food Show for many years now, and I absolutely love it.

That said, I don't know what to expect this year. The rights to the show were sold after the 2007 Show, and it is now under new management. Add to that the fact that it has relocated to the Ottawa Civic Centre (from the Ottawa Congress Centre) where it will live for at least the next 3 years while the Congress Centre is rebuilt / refurbished.

In the past the highlight of our attendance has always been the wine & food pairings that were put on by several of the city's best hotels. Afterall the name of the show is Wine & Food, and for us this is where a wine can make it or break it. What this was for about $ 25 per person, you had a sit down counter (in a u-shape) with the Head Chef, a Sous Chef, and the Wine Rep / Sommelier in the centre. The experts prepared the meal in front of your (3 courses... not large courses, but definitely good value for the money). The Wine Rep poured wine (2 to 3 ounces per pour, usually 4 pours in total), and explained the vineyards philosophy and the concept of the pairing. The Chefs worked, and talked, and explained, and answered questions... it was personal, it was great!

Now this year, the new owners are offering a variety of new features including:
The Tasting Alley, Champagne VIP, Tutored Tastings and a more extensive Kitchen Demo Area.

Based on previous years, if the Food Pairings are offered in the same format as previous years, we will probably go with that. (The Website, says that info will be updated tomorrow... Monday).

As so many Ottawa Foodies, are also planning to go to the Wine & Food Show, I'll give my two cents, on all the featured offerings for this year.

Tutored Tastings, I believe are more for the novice wine drinker. Someone who is fairly unfamiliar with wine, and the difference between grapes, regions and countries. A great introduction to wine... or to a specific style. Various sessions are offered daily (1 hour in length) a variety of topics, run Friday, Saturday and Sunday, cost is $ 25.00 per session.

The Champagne VIP is a Friday Night Only Event (5:30 to 7:00), and pairs champagne with sushi and chocolate. I suppose a great concept for those who tend to go out for the Opening Night (usually the party crowd). For those who like to mingle, be seen, and have something in their stomachs before they hit the martini bar. Cost is $ 49.00

Tasting Alley is available Friday (5:00 to 7:00) or Saturday (4:00 to 6:00). Guest Sommeliers guide groups thru a set tasting of wines in the $ 20 range. Wines are accompanied by artisan breads and international cheeses. Cost $ 49.00

As I said, I'm waiting to find out more info tomorrow regarding the Food & Wine Pairings (and if I don't get it thru the website I have a contact with one of the Restaurants previously featured).

As someone who drinks a fair bit of wine, and does a lot of wine research / reading, I don't think that the Tasting Alley will offer much new to me. And besides as a serious wine affectionado who attends on Sunday, I am pretty sure that those same wineries will be there... I just won't be getting a tutored session. And I'll get to decide where I want to spend my "tasting ticket" or not... you can never tell the quality of who the exhibitors are going to be until you are actually at the show. For example... last year France was featured. France makes some great wine... unfortunately 95% of the exhibitors present were the same old names, and a lot of wine without distinction (ie. French Table Wine carried daily by the LCBO General List) not regional recognized apellations one is looking for / hunting thru in the Vintages section.

I like to try new things, and find wines from new places, new vineyards. I think a great part of wine, is the hunt. I like to discover a great wine at say $ 15... as "The Man" says "anyone can buy a great wine for $ 50, $ 15 is more of a challenge". And part of the fun. No doubt we will do what we've done in the past, spend 6 hours exploring all that the Wine & Food Show has to offer... sniffing, sipping, spitting, and oh ya swirling back the great ones. In the end, we'll have our senses exposed to a lot of wine, but will come away with a very short list (usually under 20) of new up-and-comers, old stand-bys and a whole lot of ideas of what to look for in the next 12 months.

Meagicano - I'll keep you posted with what I discover in regards to the Wine & Food Pairings.

Another thought on the Tasting Alley... you start there, and then have general admission to the show. Any knowledgeable wine drinker will tell you one should drink in progression, with your heaviest and best wines being your last (not your first).

BTW, the most serious of wine drinkers tend to visit the show on Sunday... Also a good chance to meet and talk with a local wine expert (like Rod Phillips or Natalie MacLean) or a Show Judge. Friday Night is a younger party crowd, Saturday daytime way too crowded, Saturday Night is sometimes called "Date Night" and Sunday, well that just tends to be true wine lovers. The exhibitors say they always like Sunday best because people are truly interested in their product, not just in getting drunk. LOL

2008 Oct 27
We're planning to go Friday during the day. Sunday is booked for me with something else and Saturday was great last year, until 4 pm hit! lol.

We're doing one of the sommelier-led tastings... I'll be sure to report back.

2008 Oct 27
Nanook - Yes, please do. I am very curious to know what the mood is on Friday during the daytime... although that is not the best of times technically to get there (work etc), I might make the effort in the future if there are enough benefits to going then vs Sunday.

Let me know if it is calm enough that you actually get to meet the wine guys & gals (like Rod Phillips) and talk to them. That is one of the things I love about Sunday is typically you can actually get to their booths and speak with them, Saturday afternoon they tend to be swamped. And we've also noticed in previous years that a lot of Show Judges come back on the Sunday to make the rounds again (for their own interests) because it is quieter... it is always fun to talk to a Show Judge, you can learn soooo much... plus they point out the wines you should taste vs those you need not spend your coupons on. LOL

2008 Oct 27
I'm a firm believer in going on Friday - I've always gone on that day, except for one occasion when I couldn't make it, and went on Saturday instead. It was considerably busier on Saturday, and I didn't hesitate to go back to my Friday schedule the next year. I don't know how the crowds on Sunday compare with Friday, but I do suspect that some of the wine exhibitors may have run out of some of their products by Sunday. One thing is sure: whichever day you choose, if you're serious about wine, then you should go early. Be there when they open the doors at noon. That will give you the best opportunity to chat with the folks manning the booths. I put special emphasis on visiting the Ontario winery booths, since they're more likely to be manned by people from the wineries themselves, often including the winemaker him/herself. Besides, it's part of being a locavore to support the (semi-)local products, right?

The Tasting Alley is new this year, so no experience with that... but I'll be giving it a pass. I prefer to roam around, and pick and choose the wine and food combos that experience tells me will work well.

I don't do them every year, but the Tutored Tastings can be fun and informative, given the right leader. I attended one by Rod Phillips a few years back that was very good, and one did one led by David Lawrason that was terrific.

Like F&T, I'm a fan of the sit-down three-course wine and food pairings put on by a few establishments. More often than not, I've opted for the one done by Nelson Borges & co. from the Westin (the featured wine producer varies from year to year). This is a great chance for foodies to get up close and personal with these folks, and another reason to get there early, so you can sign up for the seating time you prefer.

The kitchen demos can be good fun too, and a good place to take a load off after you've been on your feet for a few hours.

In past years, they've posted the results of the wine competition on the website in advance of the show - it's a useful guide for picking some wines to seek out for tasting, though there will be many good wines available that weren't entered in the competition. No sign of it on the website so far this year, though (the results will also be in the blurb they pass out when you enter, but it's nicer to see it in advance).

Have fun!

2008 Oct 27
Hi meagicano,

The Food and Wine Show can become a giant frat party with cruising, nauseating, yuppies looking to get drunk on the cheap.

Don't expect to find any rare treats in the wine department. Ditto for food, there's usually a smattering of thoroughly mediocre, if not outright horrible, restaurants.

That said, it can be interesting to chat with the people involved so I'd follow Food&Think's advice about going Sunday.

2008 Oct 27
Brian Mc - First I'd like to respectfully disagree with your statements (and then I'd like to agree). LOL

"The Food and Wine Show can become a giant frat party with cruising, nauseating, yuppies looking to get drunk on the cheap."

Well that in my opinion pretty much sums up Friday Night (except in my experience that has been the 19 - 30 somethings).

Saturday Night, I'll give you is indeed "Yuppie" Night. Sometimes known as "Date Night" or "Cougar Central".

As for your second statement...

"Don't expect to find any rare treats in the wine department. Ditto for the food, there's usually a smattering of thoroughly mediocre, if not horrible, restaurants."

Again partially true. When it comes to the food, there are a lot of places that take a couple of tickets and give you a small plate, some of it good, and yes much of it average... nothing special (except for a great curry last year... but I just can't recall who that was). That is why I highly recommend the Food & Wine Pairings... the food is great.

As for the wines... well there are treasures indeed to be found... but you have to be willing to hunt for them. Sometimes they are an Ontario winery with a vintage that you haven't tried before (because they do bring Non LCBO List Product with them), or it might be just the fact that you discover a new winery (like the guys from PE County). Or you cruise thru the New World Section and find something unexpected from South Africa, Chile or Argentina. It does happen. But if you stick to the BIG GUYS... France, California, etc. you will most likely be disappointed. A whole lot of cute named wines which aren't vineyard quality but rather the equivalent to the Canadian "Cellared Ins..."

Not to say there can't be a gem found... but that is what the Wine Competition List is for, and using the opportunity to talk to the Wine Guys & Gals or a Show Judge.

Yup Sunday is always one's best bet.

2008 Oct 27
I think that's an overly harsh assessment, Brian Mc. To avoid the partying yahoos (for the most part), simply go at noon, and hit the road by 5-6 pm. I do agree that the food is not spectacular in quality (and has gone downhill a bit in recent years, IMHO), but there are exceptions, especially amongst the sit-down wine/food pairings. Anyway, the wine is the bigger attraction for me, and I think you're really selling that side short. The number of wines available is vast, and it's not all low-end plonk. You do have to do some homework and know what to look for, though... trying some of the competition winners is usually a good start. And, short of driving to PEC or Niagara, it's the best opportunity to taste a variety of Ontario wines.

Serious wine afficionados should take note of the smaller, more focused wine fairs that take place earlier in the year. This year, I attended the Australian, New Zealand, and California wine fairs in Ottawa, and all of them were worthwhile and enjoyable. They don't have the yahoo factor of the big W&F show, and the quality of the wines on offer is generally very high. The food is usually pretty good, too.

2008 Oct 27
bdm - I totally agree. I also am one who goes for the wine (especially the chance to find & try new wines)... the food for me is secondary (just like the title of the show). Finding good food, well that is a bonus.

I also agree that it is a opportunity to discover great things about Ontario or Canadian wine in general (once in awhile, there is some good representation from BC). And I said in earlier in this topic, a chance to try some vintage wine that otherwise is only available at the winery, or thru them or their distributors (not the LCBO).

Like you, I have discovered the value of attending wine events throughout the year that are held here in Ottawa, be they Wine Fairs or Winemaker Dinners. There is a lot to be learned and the pairing of wine and food is generally exceptional.

2008 Oct 28
I have enjoyed the wine and food pairing in the past, that definitely is good fun. Overall, I guess I just prefer Culinary Experience. I like the atmosphere better and I think the restaurant choice is usually better (wine choice is definitely worse). I get stressed out at the Food and Wine show... I guess I'm just anti-social. ;)

2008 Oct 28
Brain Mc - Fair statement. I get it, some people go for the food, some for the wine. As for the stressed out bit, I totally understand that... I hate it when the place is so crowded you can hardly move... or get to the booths, let alone talk to the wine people. That is part of the reason we changed days... although Sunday can be really busy by say 3 PM, because we get there right when they open, by the time it is super busy, we are having our wine & food pairing, so that helps... after our "meal" we might go back to see a couple of spots that caught our eye earlier, or perhaps hit the cognacs*. LOL

*The highend stuff is a great way to blow-off any remaining tickets, "The Man" and I pool our leftover tickets and then share the liquid gold.

Have never been to the NAC's Culinary Experience, but I have gone to the Black & White Soiree, and that was great!

BTW, I will add the Culinary Experience date for 2009 (Wednesday, February 25th as per the OSO Website) to the Ottawa Foodies Events Wiki.

2008 Oct 28
I no longer go to this event ... since it has become a cross between a circus and a zoo.

There are far better venues to get rid of the disposable income.

2008 Oct 28
WINE & FOOD PAIRINGS

As of today from the Wine & Food Show Website www.ottawawineandfoodshow.com

The final bit of info on the New Offerings this year, the others are:
Tutored Tastings, Champagne VIP, and Tasting Alley
(details of which have been laid out higher up in this topic).

--- snip ---

WINES OF CHILE - Saturday, November 8th - 5:30 to 7:00 PM

Join Internationally Acclaimed Wine Educator Tony Aspler in a tasting of Chilean Carmènere wines and discover why Carmènere is now considered Chile's Signature Grape.

Next, Tony will be joined in the Deslauriers Hundred Mile Kitchen by Celebrity Chef Ken Kostick who will marry three fabulous tasting plates with Chilean wines.

COST $49.00 - Includes tastings of Carmènere, Three course wine and food tasting, VIP entrance to the Showfloor.

Book your tickets through ticketmaster ( www.ticketmaster.ca )

--- --- ---

A timely topic, considering all the buzz that wines from Chile and Carmenere in particular is generating in the wine world.

Also, interesting in that if you break this down, the $ 49.00 Covers Regular Admission (which is $ 17) and this Session (which therefore works out to $ 32)... not a bad deal.

Any thoughts?

2008 Oct 28
We're very much on the same wavelength, F&T! I think we have essentially the same game plan: arrive at noon, spend a couple of hours visiting the winery booths (mostly Canadian) and chatting with them while the crowds are still thin (and grabbing a bit of food to try with the wine samples, of course), then a sit-down wine and food pairing, and then back to booths to sample some more wines that we noted in passing earlier. Maybe a stop at the demo kitchen, too. Then blow the remaining tickets on something interesting, maybe a nice dessert wine. Lastly, find some coffee and something desserty to go with it. Then head for the exits as the rabble troop in. :-)

I've never been to the Culinary Experience, but I'll definitely give it serious consideration next year. I love wine dinners too, but they've become sooooo expensive of late.

2008 Nov 2
The results of the wine competition are now posted on the W&F Show website:
www.playerexpo.com

Trying some of the gold medal winners is a good way to start off your tour of the tasting booths, but remember that the number of wines entered in the competition (301 this year) is but a small fraction of the wines available at the show, so there will be many non-winners there that may be worthy of your consideration.

2008 Nov 4
MORE INFO ON THE OTTAWA WINE & FOOD SHOW

A Flyer came in today's Ottawa Citizen and I also noticed that the show Website www.ottawawineandfoodshow.com has been updated to reflect the following:

--- snip ---

WINE & FOOD PAIRINGS

WINES OF CALIFORNIA - Sunday, November 9th - 12:30 to 2:00 PM

Featuring Winemaker Mat Gustafson, recognized in Wine Spectator as a "New Face in California Pinot Noir" and Michelin Star rated Chef Tai Olesky, Chef / Owner of Mosaic restaurant and Wine Lounge, preparing and presenting three sampling plates along with the wines of Beringer Vineyards.

COST $ 49.00 - Includes Three course wine and food pairing and sampling, VIP entrance to the Showfloor.

Book your tickets through ticketmaster ( www.ticketmaster.ca )

KITCHEN DEMOS

There are 11 Kitchen Demos scheduled over the 3 Days of the Wine & Food Show. Friday (4), Saturday (5) and Sunday (2), two of which will feature Celebrity Guest Chef Ken Kostick. For more info on each Demo see the Website at www.playerexpo.com/kitchen.php

In addition, on Sunday there is a 100 Mile Cook Off hosted by Celebrity Chef Ken Kostick featuring local Chefs David Neil, Arleigh Martin, and Jamie Stunt, and their skills in the Kitchen as they work with 5 locally grown ingredients purchased from the Byward Market.

The Kitchen Demos are FREE with admission to the Show.

--- --- ---

Additionally, I have checked with The Merlot Restaurant, and they have confirmed that the Hotel Wine & Food Pairings will be available again this year (not sure which Hotels are participating). These pairings are booked at the Show on a first-come first-served basis, and paid for directly to the Hotel at the time of booking.

All-in-all, this looks like things are shaping up to be a good Show this year.

2008 Nov 4
bdm - No kidding re: the contest entrants! I have the feeling that Konzelmann isn't the be-all and end-all of Niagara wine, despite having a gold medal in, like, every category out there.

2008 Nov 4
bdm & Momomoto - Or how about this sneaky tactic we caught at the Show last year...

A winner from a previous year, hung the medal around a bottle of the most recent vintage, and was passing it off as a current win. "Here would you like to try our Gold Medal (wine name)", it was only the observant wine person who caught that the wine and the medal didn't match, or that it was from a previous year... because no one patrols these things it is hard to catch. Although etiquette would be that winners only display their current medals, because Visitors to the Show are seeking out the booths with the medals.

Needless to say this Winery has gone way down in my mind's eye... if they can't use integrity in their presentation, what are they using in their wine making and business practices?

2008 Nov 4
Hey Momo:

If you have ever met Charlotte Konzelman, you may realize why they won so many medals.

2008 Nov 5
now don't go slagging Konzelman - they make a fine fine Riesling as well as some great late harvest varieties. Some people are fond of their pinot's too but I stick to their whites.

As to the food pairing - Ken Kostick??? WTH? That turns me off from the start, not like they could try to find a real chef. He has to be the most irritating individual ever put in front of a camera.

(now it will be my turn to be slagged by all the KK fans out there)

2008 Nov 5
Sourdough - Don't get me wrong! I visited Konzelman on my first ever Niagara wine tour (all those years ago), and I thought they were quite good. I really liked their Baco Noir, actually, as well as their late harvest wines.

Fine wine, but gold-medal-winning, finer-than-everything-else-at-the-show wine? Unlikely.

2008 Nov 5
Sourdough - Konzelman isn't my favourite vineyard either, but they do indeed have a deserved spot on the wine shelves of the LCBO.

That said, oooooh Ken Kostick (aka Ken Caustic)... I slagged the poor fellow off when I first arrived here on OF, like you he just gets on my nerves (actually he and Mary Jo are a good pair) their voices grate with me just like fingernails on a chalkboard.

But I figure that The Food & Wine Show picked him up as a Guest Celebrity Host for a couple of reasons (a) He & Mary Jo have a new show called "He Said, She Said" that is currently on the W-Network (b) Part of the premise of their show is the High-5, utilizing 5 locally grown ingredients... which is identical to the Food & Wine Shows concept for the 100 Mile Cook-Off on Sunday with 3 local chefs that Ken will host (c) He's in tight with the Food Network, which of course has informal links back here in Ottawa with Chris Knight Productions et al, add to that (d) He and Mary-Jo are now hosting a morning radio show on PROUD Radio in Toronto, and he has become a big spokesperson in the Gay community, (e) and he also is renowned for his food related charities... the latter two issues which of course makes him of interest to Ottawa's Government Lobbying types.

If they were looking for a Celebrity Food Host, I do wish they had chosen someone else.... there are so many more serious chefs that Canadians recognize c/o the Food Network. Oh well, we can only hope that this being the first year for the new organizers, that they manage to do better for year two.

2008 Nov 5
Yes, Konzelmann is a decent, middle-of-the-pack, producer, but the fact that they scooped up so many medals is a good indicator that they weren't up against a lot of strong competition. Riesling specialists like Thirty Bench and Vineland Estates would probably blow them away. Still, I'll give their winning riesling a try... and I've been impressed by some of their gewurz in past years.

If things go according to plan, I'll be at the show Friday afternoon (bonus: better weather forecast than on the weekend!). If I get a chance, and am not too addled by excessive food and drink, I'll try to post some notes about it here on Friday evening.

2008 Nov 6
Do I need to purchase a ticket in advance if I plan to go on Sunday? Thoughts from the experts?

I was a little surprised at the winners of the wine competition. Also a bit disappointed as many are wines I've already tried and wouldn't necessarily consider a medal winner. I'm probably a bit naive but I'm hoping to get the chance to try some wines that one necessarily wouldn't find in the LCBO!

2008 Nov 6
MORE INFO ON THE OTTAWA WINE & FOOD SHOW

As compiled from Ron Eade's column in today's Ottawa Citizen (Thursday, November 6, 2008):

WINE & FOOD PAIRINGS (Four on the Floor)

The following are the details on the Hotel Wine & Food Pairings that continue throughout the Show.

Best to reserve these popular seats the moment you arrive, check the additional cost when you book directly with the Hotel involved:

Westin Ottawa - Executive Chef Nelson Borges features hourly food pairings based on local ingredients with Vincor wines. A more expanded version of this menu is available table d'hote at Daly's at The Westin thru November 21st.

Ottawa Marriott - Executive Chef Steve Gugelmeier of The Merlot Restaurant features hourly food pairings with Huff Estates Winery (PE County).

Novotel Ottawa - Executive Chef Scott Lucas pairs with Featherstone Estates Winery (Niagara), for food pairings on a drop-in basis.

ARC.the Hotel - Executive Chef Jason Duffy along with Guest Chef Tai Olesky of Mosaic Restaurant in Forestville, California, features food and California wine pairings, on a drop-in basis. Together this team is also working on a table d'hote menu for the Arc Lounge at the hotel from November 11th to 25th.

--- --- ---

Meagicano - I'm not sure how pre-purchase goes, as I have never done that. We've always just arrived before the Show opens and stood in line for tickets, and then in the line for the doors to open... all goes fairly quickly. Perhaps someone else could speak to the advantages / disadvantages to buying from Ticketmaster for this event.

2008 Nov 6
Thoughts on the Wine Competition

Although I do not know this for sure... I wouldn't be surprised if this is run like a Food Competition at a Country Fair where there is an "entry fee" charged for the wines enterred in the competition. So infact the Judges are not judging every wine at the show. This would explain why the Winners List looks a bit strange. For example, The Best in Show Chardonnay, isn't necessarily the BEST Chardonnay at the Show, but rather the best one enterred in the competition.

*If I run into a Judge this year, I will ask them how the Entries and Winners are determined.

Meagicano - I'd say most of the wines at the Show are available on the LCBO General List... infact there is an on-site LCBO Store set up to make purchases when you leave.

That said, there are indeed some other wines available... we often see things that we've had in the past from the LCBO Vintages Section (which as you probably know is available in limited release from time to time), or things that are currently in Vintages. There are also wines available for tasting that are NOT ON THE LCBO LIST as well as Wineries who don't usually sell to the LCBO (such as Featherstone from Niagara).

Best bet is to ask at the booths... "is this available at the LCBO?" The wineries will let you know if they are not at the LCBO and how you can get their products. For example the Canadian Wines can be purchased thru the Winery directly (either in person, or via phone or internet, and then the product is shipped to you). When you purchase a wine from outside of Ontario (I'm thinking about Australians for example we've purchased in the past) you deal with the Winery's Marketer (who could very well be the person in the booth at the Show) and they ship the wine to you via your local LCBO. It really isn't very difficult, and in the end you generally end up with a better quality of wine (more along the Vintages line) than anything you'll find off the LCBO General List.

2008 Nov 6
According to the Citizen article, there will be approximately 1400 different wines available at the show. Only 300 of them were entered in the competition. I don't know how the competition is run, but I'm sure that there are numerous reasons why many worthy wines at the show don't get entered. Every year I've found some gems that didn't have a medal hanging on them... so, by all means try some of the competition winners, but focus on finding wines that are of particular interest to you, medalists or not.

Re buying tickets in advance: I've never done it before, and I ain't about to start now! The queues for tickets are never a big problem, so why pay the surcharge? My only gripe in the past has been that they wouldn't start selling tickets until the doors open at noon (probably part of their deal with Ticketmaster), but the line moves quickly, and it's really not a big deal.

Enjoy!

2008 Nov 6
bdm - I too have not bought tickets in advance thru Ticketmaster, like you I have no interest in paying the surcharge.

KONZELMANN DISCUSSION

I got my recent issue of the Winecurrent today (for the next Vintages Release on Saturday) and in it there was also some info on two new wines that Konzelmann has released (both of which I take it are not available at the LCBO)

--- Quote ---

Konzelmann ‘4th Generation’ Barrel Fermented Chardonnay 2007
VQA Niagara Peninsula $16.50 - Rating 4-1/2 Stars, Drink Within the Next 2 Years

Mineral, floral and vanilla aromas float off the glass of this beauty that’s quite expressive yet light on its feet. It’s medium bodied and reasonably textured with a delicious stream of crisp fruit flavours—yellow peach, sweet ripe pear, apple and citrus. Deftly balanced and beautifully sculpted, it’s not over oaked or over blown. It finishes zesty clean and lip-smacking good. Pair this with chicken or turkey a la king. If you’re looking for good value, look no further. Order by the case for daily home or office delivery direct from Konzelmann. (VH)

Konzelmann ‘Grand Reserve Classic’ Riesling 2007
VQA Niagara Peninsula $22.00 - Rating 4-1/2 Stars, Drink Within the Next 2 Years

Lifted aromas of floral and ripe tree fruit—peach, nectarine and apple—showcase the fabulous ’07 vintage in Niagara. There’s generous texture, deft balance and a gusher of flavours with white peach, ripe citrus and nuances of minerality involved. It finishes with a lingering aftertaste that’s crisp, clean and refreshing. Pan-seared scallops and prawns under a drizzle garlic-infused lemon butter is a divine match. Order by the case for daily home or office delivery direct from Konzelmann. (VH)

--- --- ---

Now neither of the above wines do I believe are the ones that won at the Ottawa Wine & Food Show, but they definitely are close cousins... So I would think that indeed Konzelmann does have something worth looking at.

SHOW WINNERS

CHARDONNAY $ 20 and Over

SILVER - Konzelmann Estate Winery Barrel Fermented Chardonnay 2007

DRY RIESLING / ALSATIAN VARIETALS $ 9 to $ 15

GOLD - Konzelmann Estate Winery Dry Riesling 2007

As I said interesting food for thought.

2008 Nov 7
Since I chimed in on Konzelmann earlier, let me also put a plug in for featherstone. On my last Niagara wine tour this was one of the gems - which in my books is an excellent wine at an excellent price point. They are worth a stop. Another favorite is Marynissen - they have had some great reds in the past, however some years have been less than spectacular. I don't know if they are at the show, but if they are its would be worth while dropping in and hoping for a good year!

2008 Nov 7
Sourdough - I totally agree with your take on Featherstone and Marynissen. I have visited both wineries in Niagara, and loved them both (of course they are quite small... and you have to look for them).

Last year they were both at the Wine & Food Show. And according to the schedule Featherstone is featured on Novotel's Hotel Food & Wine Pairings. So if you're going you might want to check them out there.

Both Featherstone and Marynissen are not on the LCBO Regular List (too small a production) and sometimes they manage to get a wine on the Vintages List, but most often they just make great stuff that is only available thru the Winery. So getting the chance to taste at the Wine & Food Show is a big thing. There are several of these small Niagara Wineries that make excellent wine, but don't sell at the LCBO, also look for:

Mountain Road Wine Company
Fielding Estates Winery
Crown Bench Estates Winery
all of the above from the Beamsville area
and
Hernder Estates Wines from St. Catherines

2008 Nov 10
Looks like one of the cornerstone events of the 2008 Ottawa Wine & Food Show ran into quite a hitch on Wednesday, November 5th, two days before the show opening. Guest Chef Tai Okesky, from the Mosaic Restaurant and Wine Lounge in Forestville, California was turned away by Canadian Customs & Immigration at the Ottawa Airport when he declared the purpose of his visit was to "work" at the Ottawa Wine & Food Show... of course he didn`t have the required Work Visa so he was sent packing!

The folks at the 23rd Annual Wine & Food Show pulled Sunday`s Wines of California Wine & Food Pairings demo out of the ditch by quickly substituting Chef Constantinos Laliotitis, chef for Jackson Family Wines, who has served in world-class restaurants in France, Italy, Japan and throughout California, who along with Winemaker Mat Gustafson proved once again "that the show must go on".

For more info see Ron Eade`s Omnivore`s Ottawa Blogcommunities.canada.com and the entry of November 6th, entitlèd "California Star Chef Told to Fly on Home".