lemon juice shortage [Food/Vendor]

2008 Oct 13
anyone else notice the lemon juice shortage?
anyone actually seen any recently on shelves?

My wife has tried several different stores now over 2 months or so with no luck. Yesterday I was at Loblaw's on Baseline / Merivale and buddy there said they hadn't had it on their shelves in 2 or 3 months

2008 Oct 13
I noticed this too. It's due to last year's freezing weather in California and Argentina which destroyed fruit. Plus, alternate sources, Spain and Australia experienced drought conditions which hurt their crops.
Sunkist's corporate communications director: "And when there's a shortage, a lot of the crop goes to the fresh market, because the fresh market generally fetches a higher price than a processing (juice) market."
It's predicted that we will still see shortages into mid-2009/until this year's crop is juiced and packaged.

www.cbc.ca
www.canada.com

2008 Oct 13
I managed to find "No Name" lemon juice at Brown's YIG in Stittsville a couple of weeks ago--there were only a few bottles at that time.

2008 Oct 13
If anyone is desperate and wants an *open bottle* from a strangers fridge, I have lots that I won't put to use. I have a bottle of both lemon and lime.

...and I accept tastey barters of equal value :-) (I think I paid 2 or 3 bucks for each)

2008 Oct 13
I am sorry but I don't get the problem with this.... buy a lemon! ;) That crap in a jar is horrible....

2008 Oct 13
They have squeezey plastic bottles that look like a lemon slice in Farmer's Pick, but I'd just go for the fresh lemon too.

2008 Oct 14
Yes, that's what I did, and yes it's better. But in some cases you don't need fresh because you'll never notice the difference. e.g. when baking my granola bars I add lemon juice to the pureed fruit to keep it's colour from going off. And also in some case you don't need it e.g. when making a keg of lemon juice for the kids - would be awfully expensive to use fresh, and they'll never know the difference.