Best Eggs [Food/Vendor]

2008 Oct 7
Hello all,

I just returned from a camping trip near Perth, and picked up some wonderful farm eggs from a roadside stand on the way home. What a revelation! Bright orange yolks, hassle-free poaching, and great taste; I figure I will be poaching a lot of eggs and looking for excuses to make mayonnaise this week.

Do you have any suggestions regarding good places in Ottawa to get eggs of similar quality? I am not sure I can go back to the supermarket for eggs after this experience. Thanks.

2008 Oct 7
It is a toss up between Bekings Farms and Padgeberry Farms. Bekings Farms has a stand at the Lansdowne Frmers Market but only on Thursdays. Padgeberry Farms has a stand at the Organic Farmers Market in Ottawa South. And the Herb and Spice at Bank and Lewis comes a pretty close second.

2008 Oct 7
If you're in the west end, try the eggs at Rainbow Foods (Britannia Plaza, on Richmond Road). I forget where they're from, but your description is a good match for the ones we've bought there.

2008 Oct 7
Oooh! I had no idea Bekings had a stand at that market. I managed to get their eggs through a friend with a bakery and two of us split a giant order. I'm still happily chugging through them. Beautiful eggs.

2008 Oct 8
Just an addendum, since I was in there today and took note: Rainbow Foods has the eggs from Bekings ($3.75/doz.). They also carry organic eggs from Organic Meadow, but they are much more expensive.

2008 Oct 8
3.75$ is a very good price, I was expecting high quality eggs to be more in the +5$ range...it seems the fancy eggs in the supermarket cost around that much.

2008 Oct 9
Bekings are also available at Herb and Spice in Wellington Village, for $4.50, I believe...they're quite good, and the farmers are SUPER knowledgeable about their product!

2008 Oct 20
Best eggs....by far are your own. We are rural and keep three laying hens who provide 2-3 eggs daily. I encourage anyone who by-laws not withstanding to look into it. Nothing better than a soft poached egg that has just been laid. Also great meringues and hollandaise.

CB