Chestnuts? [Food/Vendor]

2008 Sep 30
Anyone know where I can find chestnuts? I'm actually looking for the real deal, edible Chestnuts not Horse Chestnuts. I figure there has to be a gourmet specialty store somewhere that has them, but I've yet to find one. Kids and their darn school projects..I probably would have had an easier time supplying kryptonite or an African Dung Beetle. I may have success at the Farmer's market on Sunday, but my sons project is due Monday, so I didn't really want to leave it that late. I was hoping someone knew of a gourmet shop that sold them.

2008 Sep 30
Uniqueiam2 - You may be able to find them as close as your local grocery store. I know that a lot of Loblaws for example stock them as we get into the "Holiday Season", with Thanksgiving right round the corner they may very well be in stock already (if you don't have any luck with the big guys, be sure and check out Farm Boy too).

2008 Sep 30
We've bought them at the Byward Fruit Market (in the Byward Mkt) and I think at Herb and Spice as well. They are seasonal and they are usually not too hard to find at the right time of year, but I can't remember exactly when that spans. It may be a bit early. If all else fails, could you make due with canned chestnuts? I've seen those in the Market as well and probably at the Made in France store on Dalhousie.

2008 Nov 5
I've seen them in grocery stores lately (specificly the Orleans Sobeys' today), munching on some (oven roasted) right now.

My wife is addicted to the things, so we will probably try freezing some this year for prolonged storage.

2008 Nov 5
A vendor at the Lansdowne farmers market was selling them, they also sell the best concord grapes I've ever eaten! Along with the chestnuts, they're selling walnuts! Fresh walnuts! Amazing.

2008 Dec 8
You can get them in the fall and winter at least at the Produce Station on Carling--they are pretty fresh (the ones I bought at Loblaw's once were not). I tried the canned ones (Nicastro's) for the first time a few weeks ago, and they were perfectly fine in my mussel and lobster soup with pumpkin and chestnuts. They were a little softer than I could like, but I really hate peeling the fresh ones.