Ottawa Foodies Mobile [Site]

2008 Sep 25
Food & Think indirectly reminded me of a question/suggestion that I had been thinking of. Would it be difficult to code a mobile version of Ottawa Foodies? I'm not well-versed in the art of text reflow, but if I could reference OF from my BlackBerry when I'm "on the road", so to speak, I'd be a happy camper.

Don't know if it would need much other than constraining text to a 240-pixel screen and putting pictures at the bottom of the page, rather than the top. Then again, I'm not the expert here. ;)

2008 Sep 25
I've toyed with that idea for quite a while, and if you asked me two years ago I would have said "Yeah, I'll definitely do that."

However, with the rise of the iPhone and now the Blackberry Bold and Google Android platforms, I'm confident that mobile browsing will support full size webpages going forward. So supporting 240 pixel displays seems like an effort that would soon be obsoleted.

My vision of how Ottawa Foodies would be useful has always included sitting in a restaurant, perusing the menu, and using the website to help you decide what to order. I don't personally have the technology to do this yet but I know some of you do. :-)

2008 Sep 25
Momomoto & Fresh Foodie - I know of at least one user here who regularly accesses OF on their phone (I'll let them reveal who they are if they so wish). It is my understanding that it works reasonably well for them, they can log in and even type in replies, albeit that really is a hiT ir mIss proposition (if you get my drift). I also know of several posters who lug around a laptop on the road (myself included) or in the very least review the site from someone else's computer (such as a hotel lobby). As I have said before, these multi-technology users have some issues that the standard desktop at home or work users don't encounter... especially when it comes to the longer posts, because it is not always convenient to log in (which activates the streamlining) but we still want to stay in touch with what is happening by browsing.

As I doubt I'll be getting a blackberry anytime soon, and lugging around my laptop isn't an option for my day-to-day life in Ottawa, I can only hope that the car manufacturers soon make an on-board computer standard equipment, where one could access the internet. Think, we could be out and about for the day, jump in the car, boot up the web, and get ideas for dinner right off of Ottawa Foodies by utilzing the TAGS or FIND Tools to discover a new place in the area of town we are visiting, or search for a type of food we have a craving for. Awesome!

Of course Fresh Foodie I agree with your vision. I would love to sit in a restaurant and peruse a menu and then deek a quick look at my handheld to check out OF's recommendations, reviews etc... but alas like you, I'm not there as of yet. And as gauche as discretely checking one's blackberry is, slapping one's laptop down on the table and firing it up is in most social situations out of the question!

2008 Sep 25
I had a strange vision of an Ottawa Foodie mobile, like the Book mobile from the library, except FF would be doling out high quality eats.

2008 Sep 25
^ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

so glad I'm not the only one who keeps reading that as "mo-beel".

between this and 'aspicing' you have seriously made me laugh tonight chimi!

2008 Sep 25
That's a very good point, FF. I guess that using Opera Mini to give myself the full web experience is holding me back in some ways ;)

REGARDLESS, I will make do with what I have, and let my Curve be my guide, knowing full well that I may have to zoom in and out of pages with reckless abandon. That is far from a worst-case situation.

F&T - You won't know how much fun it is to have a BlackBerry until you're a passenger in a car using your GPS to find out where you're going. Or maybe that's just me.

2008 Sep 25
Momomoto - As a passenger in the car and using GPS no doubt can be a laugh (no no right, right here, turn left), being a passenger in a car while the driver is using GPS (on his blackberry) not so much.

Don't laugh too hard... the OPP has hundreds of these types of stories. I remember that last year one of their most interesting catches was a guy speeding while working on his laptop (can't recall which 400 numbered highway this happened on)... the kicker though was he had it duck taped to the steering wheel.