Magnetic knife strips in Ottawa [General]

2008 Sep 24
Does anyone have a tip as to the best deal (price+quality) for a magnetic knife strip in Ottawa?

I found 2 so far, neither are great. The first was at The Bay and was overpriced ($55) and made of plastic. The other is the one from Ikea - enough said!

Any other leads?

Thanks!

2008 Sep 24
What do you find wrong with the Ikea one? I've been using it for a couple of years now with no complaints at all other than that I have run out of room on it and need another one.

2008 Sep 24
Well there's 3 so...

KROKEN: Fugly cheap piece of bent steel
GRUNDTAL: A possibility if I find nothing else.. very plain though
ASKER: Too small

2008 Sep 24
I've had an Ikea one for a couple years now, and also have no complaints about it, aside from the same as zym's.

2008 Sep 24
Grundtal is a really good quality product! Super useful! Honestly, don't knock Ikea until you try some of their higher end stuff. It's not all college dorm stuff (says the girl who used to work in their kitchen department). Asker is nice enough and you could do 2 side by side and still come out ahead.

Domus has some, but the ones in the reasonable price range are a bit on the small side. Ma Cuisine has I think two styles, both of which I like, but around the price range at the Bay of $40-50.

I think this is the type of thing that if you want to invest in, you either need to invest or realize that it's going to be plain. You could have someone make you one.

Good luck!

2008 Sep 24
I picked mine up from MCL Hospitality about five years ago. It's a bit on the boring-looking side, too, though (it's plastic and magnet and that's about it), so it may not be what you're looking for. Forget how much I paid.

2008 Sep 25
I ended up with the Grundtal... so far so good! It scratched right away when I put the knives on it though. This is good enough for now, but when I get my house I'll be ordering a Mag-Blok instead.

2008 Sep 25
Oh, man. Now you've done it. Those things are beautiful, particularly the one-of-a-kind ones that they make (benchcrafted.com). Now I know what I'll be upgrading to when I move, as well.

Thanks for the heads-up!

2008 Sep 27

Very happy with the one I purchased from Ashton Green..hope the link works.

www.ashtongreen.com

CB