Club Sobeys [General]

2008 Sep 19
Well "loyalty clubbing" has finally come to the Grocery Stores. Starting today, Sobeys launches their Club Sobeys, where points are issued for every purchase, 1 point for every $ 1 spent. Points can inturn be cashed in for groceries. Or converted to Aeroplan Points (Air Canada) at the rate of 2 points is equal to 1 Aeroplan Mile. Or saved up to trade for items in the Sobey's Reward Catalogue.

For more info on the Program see www.sobeys.com/club-sobeys/

Unlike Loblaws points program which has been around for awhile, these points can be earned by anyone, just a card that is swiped at takeout... not like the President's Choice program which requires the use of a PC MasterCard. However, Sobey's Club does offer a Credit Card (it also happens to be a MasterCard) that can used to accrue points faster.

Although a regular Loblaws shopper, I have never signed up for the Presidents Choice Program because it entailed getting another Credit Card (besides buying my groceries on credit, well that just has never sat well with me).

I don't think my buying habits will change drastically with the launch of this new program, I don't see myself switching supermarkets. BUT, I do think that I will sign up nonetheless. I will make a point of picking up items late at night from them rather than a convenience store (gotta buy anyways right). What will change, is I will probably peruse their weekly flyer to check out their specials, and see what they are giving BONUS Points on. I notice with this week's launch there are tons of items offering BONUS Points some even as high as 50 or 80 points.

Loyalty / Bonus Points Programs have proven to be highly successful for Canadian companies since their launch in the 1980s (first with the airline companies). Among the fans: Air Canada, Sears, HBC, Shoppers Drugmart and all those who are part of the AirMiles banner.

It will be interesting to see if any of the other Grocery Stores follow suit... last time the grocery stores did something similar, there were 1000s of Canadians licking and pasting stamps in little books. Anyone else remember?

ADDENDUM:

I did a little googling, and have discovered that the AirMiles Program was sold by LMG (its founder) to Aeroplan in 2007, and that Sobeys in the Maritimes has been a member of the AirMile Program (not sure if that arrangement will continue after today's launch). All very interesting.

2008 Sep 19
You don't need a credit card to get PC Points - sign up for their bank account and use that for shopping. Though you do get points faster with the credit card. If I were better organised I'd shop with the credit card then immediately pay it off online at home. And the best part is that the PC banking is just about the only no-fee bank account left without a min balance - so what is there not to like about it?

2008 Sep 19
Zym - Thanks for that PC Info... but alas opening a new bank account is in my mind just about as much hassle as getting a new credit card. I like the places that offer loyalty cards without all the "hoops to jump thru", just swipe and go that is my style.

2008 Sep 23
The other interesting thing is that, before Sobeys was a member of the Air Miles program in the Maritimes they had . . . Club Sobeys. You collected points and, every so often, a product would be on sale for Club Sobeys members only.

According to the Aeroplan home page, "Participating Sobeys stores are located in Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba." So I assume that Air Miles still reign supreme in the east.

2008 Sep 23
I have been collecting PC Points for a long time and must have gotten close to $1000 free groceries. While I am not a big fan of Loblaws, etc, it makes for a slight incentive.

BTW, If you collect Aeroplan points, you can trade them on Points.com for other loyalty program points if you need to consolidate them.

BTW again - if you buy your groceries with RBC visa card and collect those points, you can cash them in for a coupon to put towards paying down your mortgage.

EAT ONWARDS AND UPWARDS FOODIES!

2008 Sep 24
Momomoto & Witchypoo - All very fascinating info. It will be interesting to see how Club Sobeys takes off in Ottawa, and if after a couple of months any other grocery stores get on board with a program of their own. I`m thinking of how these programs have changed the Drugstores in Ontario, I believe everybody is now offering some sort of program be it, Optimum Points, AirMiles, Aeroplan or even Sears Points. This move by Sobey`s I believe has the potential to change the grocery store market (which is highly competitive) here in Ottawa.

Afterall in the last 20 years we`ve had the price wars, and the hour wars, why not a points war?

2008 Sep 24
It's funny but I still don't see where this is all that different from PC Points. So I don't think it will change the market, I think it's more the case of Sobeys (note there is no apostrophe - they got rid of it in the early/mid 80's when they moved into Quebec) playing catch-up with PC.

We'll see though - maybe PC will introduce a points-only card as a result. But I doubt it.

2008 Sep 24
Zym - This might be a wise marketing move on behalf of Sobeys in light of the recessionary times that everyone is saying could be ahead... afterall people are not going to find getting / keeping / or wanting credit cards that attractive they say in the next couple of years. Time will tell.

2008 Sep 24
But everyone needs a bank account, and the only one that I know of with no fees and no minimum balance is the PC one. I think they are the ones with the better marketing scheme in recessionary times. :-)

2008 Sep 24
Zym - Ah yes but changing one's bank in recessionary times is not necessarily a good move credit wise... and so the circle goes.
;-)