"death by 1000 cold-cuts" [General]

2008 Sep 17
Looks like the listeria outbreak is going to claim a political life for this comment :

www.cbc.ca

"This is like a death by a thousand cuts. Or should I say cold cuts."

Actually I'm oddly enough inclined to believe the explanation :

"It was a highly stressful time," he said in prepared remarks.

"Many people were working countless hours and attending countless meetings to keep on top of the situation. In that context, I made a couple of spur of moment, offhand comments. In particular, one about my official opposition critic, whom I have already called to apologize.

"My comments were tasteless and completely inappropriate. I apologize unreservedly."

Example : today while sitting in "the big meeting" when my manager was announcing yet another round of cuts at Nortel, I made a number of what some might consider tasteless and insensitive comments. Sure, nobody is dying, but a lot of people are losing their jobs which is pretty serious too. But sometimes in a stressful situation it's so sad that you need a bit of humour interjected. "Saved by Zero" comes to mind - you are saved from getting any worse because you are already at the bottom. Sometimes you need anything you can get to pick you up a bit from there.

2008 Sep 18
Harper is supporting him. He still has my support as well.

www.cbc.ca

2008 Sep 18
Well the Globe and Mail is tearing the Conservatives a new one over it :

www.theglobeandmail.com

"His gags betray more than poor taste. Together with other missteps this week and last, it exposes a sophomoric side to a political party that is presenting itself as the only serious option in the Oct. 14 federal election."

2008 Sep 18
It's not surprising that yet another Conservative MP has foot-in-mouth syndrome. While I find the quote very morbidly hilarious, it just shows the lack of political foresight and tact of Ritz (North Battleford, SK). No wonder Harper has such an iron grip over press contact within the party...

2008 Sep 19
I don't buy his excuse. I don't want his head on a platter (hah!) over it, but a person in his position should be able to handle stress a little better. It's not like it was a non-business party with close friends where he made the joke, it was in a serious setting with 15 people.

I probably wouldn't be forgiving if I knew someone who died because of it, but if he is going to do his job well, I'd get over it.

2008 Sep 19
At least he didn't blurt out my favorite Maple Leaf chuckle.

Maple Leaf is a Schneider product.

"Taste the difference listeria makes"

2008 Sep 23
And of course now you can play the video game online

deathby1000coldcuts.info/