Jalapeno bumper crop [Recipes]

2008 Sep 17
I've given pounds of them away and I picked at least 100-150 more, any recommendations on how to use these guys up other than freezing them?

2008 Sep 17
Most of the people I've talked to had a rather dismal season this year for growing peppers, so you did great! There used to be a small paperback book on the market written by Nancy Gerlach called "Too Many chiles" and it had a lot of good ideas in it. If you can get a hold of a copy it was pretty useful. (I will check if I still have one, and would be happy to lend it to you!) Freezing works great. You can also pickle them. Texans are fond of turning them into a sweet sliced concoction that tastes similar to a bread and butter pickle. You can also use a smoker to turn them into chipotles. Because they are so thick skinned it takes quite a while. If you use a dehydrator first though, it will eliminate a lot of the time spent on the smoker.

2008 Sep 17
Good tips, any idea what that Texan concoction might be called? I'll try to look for that book, I'm always willing to add to the home library.

yes I did have a great year, my corn is over 10 feet tall too.

2008 Sep 17
I find jalapenos will last a long time in the fridge if you want them to stay crunchy (I think I've done 5-6 weeks on some!)

Frozen jalapenos go soft when thawed but make great poppers (cream cheese filling and breaded then baked)

Around my place, jalapenos get used in place of bell peppers as often as possible.

I've made hot sauce out of them a few times, using the membranes to keep the heat up, then break out the cheese cloths.

Pickled with pickling spice and used in place of cuke pickles on burgers, etc.

2008 Sep 18
I think the Texans call it Texas Candy! You may find it under a Sweet Jalapeno Pickle recipe. I think I have a book at home that has a recipe, so will try to look for it tonight. I couldn't find my Too Many chiles oookbook, but it's fairly thin, so may just be hiding.
If you are into canning, you could also make some Salsa Verde. Tomatillos are in season now. Yumm!
Also try www.fiery-foods.com site recipe search too as they have a lot of jalapeno (and other chile) recipes.

2008 Sep 18
OrleansFoodie - I did a little googling, and found a recipe for Pineapple Pepper Jelly (sounds delish), evidently it goes well with roasted meats or as a marinade for pork, chicken or ribs. And when mixed with Dijon Mustard makes a nice glaze for ham. Check it out at www.recipezaar.com/133862

I'm sure there are tons or recipes on line you could find that uses Jalapenos, the site I've referred you to has a search feature that you can use by ingredient. Good Luck in your quest.

2008 Sep 18
thanks for the posts, I've been able to find many recipes but I'm always dissapointed when the quantities required are 6-10 only; we're only 2 here so I cant/don't want to make massive batches.

I haven't pickled anything in years but it seems like this is what I'll be doing.

2008 Sep 19
Orleansfoodie - I couldn't find the Sweet Pickled Jalapeno recipe, but did find the Too Many Chiles book - and will gladly lend it to you if are interested. I also have a Diana Kennedy recipe for a Jalapeno relish, it makes 2 cups, uses 13 jalapenos and keeps for a week in the fridge. Probably not a huge help, given the number of jalapenos you are trying to use up! You can always stuff them with cheese, wrap them with bacon, grill them and invite all your neighbours over for a popper party????

2008 Sep 23
Alley cat, thanks for the offer I will pass though since lately we have been reinventing all our dishes to include jalapenos maybe using up 4-5 per day; I do however like the idea of a jalapeno relish, would you mind posting it please?

2008 Sep 23
I'll second the request for the jalapeno relish recipe. Our house goes through several jars of this during the year and our source is unable to make it this year and we're almost out!

2008 Sep 24
Gardener Mom - this is a fresh relish so will only keep for up to a week in the fridge, but here it is:

Fresh Jalapeno Relish
Adapted from Diana Kennedy’s The Essential Cuisines of Mexico

This relish is better if made the night before it's needed, and will keep for up to a week in the fridge in a tightly sealed container.

A dozen large jalapeno chiles, stems and seeds removed, cut lengthwise into thin strips. (A mix of red and green jalapenos if possible)
1 medium spanish onion, thinly sliced
4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
½ tsp. Dried Mexican oregano
¾ cup vinegar – The original recipe calls for a “mild” vinegar, an unseasoned rice vinegar or white wine vinegar will do.
¼ cup canola, sunflower or olive oil
Salt to taste

Optional – just before serving, top with fresh chopped cilantro, or for a fruity relish add fresh cilantro and fresh chopped pineapple.

2008 Sep 24
This sounds rather yummy. Thanks!

2008 Sep 25
Thank you, I will be trying this for sure.