100 Mile Diet [General]

2008 Sep 16
With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, and summer's harvest upon us, I thought I would share some of the info I've recently discovered in regards to the 100 Mile Food Movement.

This is not a new topic, we previously discussed some of the benefits of buying and eating local products in "Eating Local" www.ottawafoodies.com

What is new, is there now a lot more info available in regards to the Ottawa area, that I thought other OF's might be interested in.

The 100 Mile Diet organization's Website is www.100milediet.org

This the original movement website, has lots of valuable info, and a map that you can explore to discover your 100 mile radius. I was pleased to discover that this map for Ottawa branches out as far a Maniwaki and Mont Tremblant in the North, Montreal in the East, The Adirondaks in the South, and Kingston, Pembroke in the West. Which truly does give Ottawans a great area of which to source from. I personally will be cheating a tad, because I am adding PE County to the mix, because the boundary almost makes it to the peninsula.

There is also a Local Resources button on the Website that provides links to other sites that lists suppliers in each area.

One of the most valuable in the set is a site that the NCC has participated in building for the National Captial Region "Ottawa Buy Local Food Guide". Here you can search by product (ie. sweet corn, apples, etc). The Food Guide is printable off the net, or available in hard copy at the Ottawa Public Libraries. The Website is www.spcottawa.on.ca

2008 Sep 16
Food&Think Thanks for sharing some great resources! That 100 mile diet website actually came out of a book by the same name by Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon which, of course, you probably discovered already from reading their website-:) If you haven't read it yet it's worth taking a glance at some time. My friends recommended the book ages ago since I am interested in all things food especially if it is local. At first glance it looked a little preachy but I finally caved in and read it. It was certainly interesting reading about the challenges and rewards in buying and eating locally. I also developed an appreciation of how lucky we are in Eastern Ontario with so many local farms in the area that we could probably make a large part of our meals using local ingredients. Okay off my soapbox now-:)

2008 Sep 16
Pasta Lover - YUP, I was familiar with the book... I haven't read it as of yet... but it is on my "To Read" List. We certainly are lucky to have such great resources in our "100 Mile Circle". I mostly posted this topic to help others realize those resources, and to help people find what they might be looking for locally.

(PS... remember when you are done with your soapbox it can always go in your Black Box) ;-)

2008 Sep 16
I just got a call from Frank who is mentioned in the Buy Local thread :

www.ottawafoodies.com

He is currently taking orders for beef and pork that he raises himself, and he can also source local poultry at no markup to him if you buy beef or pork.

Tell him Alan sent you.