Herring Salad [Recipes]

2008 Sep 9
Those jars of pickled herring in the buzz section danced in my head and I remembered the fantastic herring salad which was always made at New Year's in my family (too). And so I'm thinking...why not make it NOW?! It's very easy and delicious (if you like pickled herring of course).
Beets & herring are great together!

Herring Salad
1 cup pickled herring; finely chopped
½ cup potatoes; boiled, cold, finely chopped
3 cups beets; cold, finely chopped (fresh cooked or canned)
½ cup apple; cored, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup red or sweet white onion; finely chopped
½ cup dill pickle or gherkins; finely chopped
3 eggs; hard-cooked, chilled and chopped
4 tablespoons dill; fresh, chopped
Salt (optional) & fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
¼ cup extra virgin olive (or vegetable) oil
2 tablespoons (to 4 TBs) heavy cream
1 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons beet juice
½ teaspoon lemon juice

In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped herring, potatoes, beets, apple, onion, pickle and hard-cooked eggs. Mix the dill with the vinegar, add (optional) salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the salad and toss gently. Beat the mustard, vinegar, oil and cream together. Pour over the salad, mix lightly but thoroughly, cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
Stir the beet and lemon juice into the sour cream until it is smooth and well blended. Pour over the salad when plated/served.

OR just a herring + beet mix. Yum...
www.epicurious.com

Photo credit: Anne Helmond

2008 Sep 9
Speaking of herring salad, I have been using the Solomon Gundy as a garnish/dressing on a regular green salad. Had a nice big container of it with my lunch today - oh my it was great! A few chunks of herring, some of the onions, and some of the juice from the bottle!!!