Ambiente is closed [General]

2008 Sep 2
Ambiente restaurant has closed operations last week. This restaurant was named by one city magazine as one of Ottawa's Top 10 places. Ambiente was a seasonal regional restaurant. I eat there several times. Too bad Ambiente is closed!

2008 Sep 3
To be honest it doesn't surprise me. A friend of mine lives in Manor Park and ate at Ambiente all the time. She kept asking us to go with them. We were going to until someone wrote a mildly negative review on Restaurant Thing and the chef (owner?) himself replied with a pretty nasty answer that made me think of a spoiled brat stamping his feet and throwing a tantrum. It kind of turned me off so we never went.

Bad karma will get you in the end I always say............

2008 Sep 4
I tried to reply to this yesterday but the site went down...

The place didn't close due to lack of business, it closed because the chef wanted to spend more time with his young family.

communities.canada.com

At least, that's the story he's telling publicly. Given the fact that they closed fairly abruptly, I wonder what went on behind the scenes.

2008 Sep 4
Sounds fishy to me - if it was true he would have been warning his patrons ahead of time so they weren't in the dark. It also sounds like Rod Eade finds it a little fishy.......

2008 Sep 4
Yes....who knows if a new restaurant will appear at 18 Beechwood Ave....anyway I'm reading very controversial comments on Ambiente on the web.

2008 Sep 4
I also read about this on Ron Eade's Website... I'm sorry I don't see what all the fuss is about.

First off Ambiente's owner announced this pending closure at the beginning of June... so with 3 months notice that hardly seems "abrupt". I would think that with 3 months notice staff would have spent the summer looking for another job. As for his having to warn his patrons, I'm not sure what that means... what can a patron do about it? It's not like the times when you go to a restaurant only to find a sign on the door that they are closed because someone has taken "possession" of the property (bankruptcy, or someone who does a runner in the middle of the night). Now that is abrupt!

And lastly, if the guy says he wants to spend more time with his family, who is to judge that? Maybe he's sick; maybe a family member is sick... wife, kid, parent; maybe his marriage is sick... who cares, he obviously is saying that he planned to leave for personal reasons... and that should be enough, afterall he gave the world notice 3 months ago that he was looking to sell or close. Period.

Give the guy a break.

Just my 2 cents.

2008 Sep 4
ksw: The chef/owner's response to the review on RestaurantThing a few years ago was EXCELLENT. I could see how it came off as somewhat of a temper tantrum, but it was in response to a pretty harsh/short review which compared the chef's cooking abilities those of Chef Boyardee - all over a dish of risotto!

Here it is in it's entirety:

"oh dear, my first response to an internet posting. PAT, i am very curious to know if you voiced your displeasure to you server or just decided to mount the old internet soapbox. As far as effort goes, I take great exception to that statement as I spend over 90 hours here a week. Perhaps the legibility of our menu is the issue here. The risotto is called "quattro formaggi" - no vegetables or "crispy extras" (what sort of crispy extras one would desire - trust me, I don't wish to know). If you felt limited in choice, you could have simply asked your server for a substitution or "special" order which we often do with pleasure at both lunch and dinner to accomodate those with special needs. Another possibility is that you have mistaken us for another restaurant. One which takes pleasure in offering little bits and bobs of frozen, mass produced slaughterhouse shoebox chicken and frozen prawns from a third world country whose farming techniques are simply shocking - within a multipage menu. And really, if you can whip up a mean bowl of Chefboyardee, why don't you then? It will save me the embarassment of having to respond to such a ridiculous posting in the first place. I am not a typical restaurant owner who kisses arse to anyone with a complaint. Instead, I am a restaurant owner who encourages face to face dialogue. Valid complaints here are dealt with in an adult fashion, either person to person or over the phone. Trust me, I care. I value our guest's hard earned money and also the time they've taken out of their busy lives to spend here. We take constructive criticism seriously as it only helps us improve as a business, and so that we can make adjustments as necessary. Constructive criticism is taken even more seriously when it comes from those who have the balls to say it to our face. Our phone number is 613.744.6509. I am here from 9am until 2am, Tuesday through Saturday. Risotto is not meant to be molded. If you believe that it is - DON'T COME HERE FOR LUNCH. Michael"

2008 Sep 4
Monty - Ok while some would see this as a temper tantrum by a chef, someone else might see this as a "why don't you tell me to my face" vs on the internet argument, and then a third might see it as I do... a Reviewer who doesn't know what he is talking about... using big words like Risotto and Quattro Formaggi should not be attempted by amateurs, and probably not at home (by those more familiar with words like Chef Boyardee). I actully found this post entertaining.

BTW, I bet Food Is Hot would love this thread in RestaurantThingy, because she recently made a comment here on OF about people who make comments about food (and food styles) when they don't know what they are talking about. I'm guessing she'd agree with Chef Michael.

2008 Sep 5
F&T: What was abrupt about it was that he never said *when* he was closing, and then suddenly he did, without telling anyone the specific date in advance (except, I assume, his staff). Anyone who reads Ron's blog or keeps up on the Ottawa foodie scene knew this was coming, but the rest of the city didn't really. As you know, usually with planned restaurant closings there is some advance notice; things posted on the door, advertising with their 'last dinner service to be on X date' etc. This time there was none of that at all.

I agree with you 110% about his kids and family. I don't blame him in the least. What I DO wonder about, however, was whether the abrupt closure was due to not being able to find a buyer in time and therefore deciding to just shut down for financial reasons. Or if there were other issues going on at the restaurant that made a quick closure important or easier.

I don't think there's anything fishy going on myself. I think it's just business.

2008 Sep 5
Family reasons aside, if the restaurant was making a lot of money, it wouldn't be closed.

2008 Sep 5
Candice - I hear what you are saying. But who knows the answer? Who knows the circumstances? Sometimes in life we are forced to make decisions we don't like or don't want to choose at a particular time... sometimes they are financially related, sometimes not. It is my experience that the hardest ones in life really don't have anything to do with money... and yet sometimes they still impact us financially... but their real impact tends to take a heavier toll elsewheres. (Illness, Divorce, Death, etc).

Although I don't know this man, I feel some compassion, I only hope that whatever "troubles" have come his way pass by soon. And I wish he and his family well.

Scrabbies - If the restaurant was making a lot of money... it may or may not be open. It probably would have sold in the timeframe given... but then again it may not have. Who knows?

As one who has reached a "certain age" I know one thing for sure, There are things more important in life than money... FAMILY and HEALTH being two of them.

2008 Sep 5
I am only sorry that I didn't make it back to Ambiente before it closed. It was on my list of Ottawa's greatest restaurants.

If I were to speculate as to the owner's reason for closing, I would hazard a guess that (from his own words) being at work from 9 am to 2 am, 6 days a week would do it. The guy regardless of how much money he's making is a slave to his business. Can you imagine being away from work for only 7 hours out of each day? How much sleep can you get, let alone have any sort of a relationship with your family?? And on top of all of that you have to worry about staff and finances and all the other aspects of running your own business. The restaurant business really takes on a life of it's own and totally takes precedence over the lives of those that support it.

Chef Michael,

We thank you for giving us the time that you did and allowing us to enjoy your masterful creations. Your efforts will not be forgotten!