Smokies [General]

2008 Sep 1
Being from the prairies, butchers make all beef sausages called smokies....NO ONE has heard of them here!! Does anyone know if anyone in Ottawa makes these? These are the BEST sausages you will ever have...especially on the BBQ. I'm almost going to resort to having my mom buy some and ship them out from SK.

2008 Sep 1
Most muslim grocers I've been to sell all beef sausages, though the one near me (Al Jazeerah) spices them a bit oddly.

2008 Sep 1
I never noticed this was strictly a "prairies" thing - I don't recall having trouble finding "smokies" when living in Ottawa - maybe we are thinking of different things? - does it HAVE to be made by a butcher specifically? There are lots of commercially made brands of "smokies" found in the hotdog case at the grocery store...

2008 Sep 1
Never had anything called smokies specifically but I've had all-beef breakfast sausage on numerous occasions, most recently in Montreal. The Kosher section at my local Loblaws has a variety of all beef products, but I'm pretty sure most of them have more of a 'hotdog feel' than what you're looking for.

FIH I think what foodlover is looking for is more akin to a cased sausage (ex italian) that is made with beef instead of pork. Correct me if I'm wrong here...

2008 Sep 1
Yeah - a cased sausage made with beef and smoked - hence the name "smokie" - I'm just wondering if it HAS to come from a butcher or if commercial brands are ok.

If you don't want commercial brands, I suppose you could try the European Deli on Merivale - they might be more likely to have smoked sausage varieties.

2008 Sep 1
Yup... The European Deli (link ---> European Delicatessen <---) on Merivale defitinely carries them.

In fact, I got some just last Wednesday and they said the smoked all beef sausages were new .. so I tried some along side their Weisswust.

Both are really good.

2008 Sep 1
No, FIH, they don't have to specifically be made by a butcher...but I guess that's just where I've only eaten them from. I didn't even think to look at commercial brands in the grocery stores! BUT, I don't doubt that they are not the same as freshly made....for sure I will check out The European Deli. Thanx everyone.

2008 Sep 2
fyi at loblaws tonight i did see some PC smokies, however most if not all were pork or a mix of pork/beef

www.presidentschoice.ca