Finally...A Resto with Heart [General]

2007 Jan 5
I was really impressed with the idea behind this place in MTL...does anyone know of a similar concept in OTT?
The resto is called Robin des Bois (www.robindesbois.ca/)and it is on St. Laurent St., with the exception of the chef and managers, everyone who works there is a volunteer. All profits & tips are given to charitable organizations. I am loving this! After a holiday season filled with pure gluttony, it feels nice to reconnect to the act of giving.

2009 Mar 8
WOW ...

Robin des Bois = Robin Hood !! ...

www.robindesbois.ca/

Famous from stealing from the rich to give to the poor (way before there was a 'trickle down' scheme)

... has anyone else heard the CBC story on Robin des Bois on CBC One this morning (Mar 08/09) ?

I searched CBC site for the clip ... but cannot find it (yet?).

Very inspirational .... considering The Captains views on food and social responsibility. (Example: I recently poopoo-ed an annual foodie charity event for displaying large sculptures made from sugar .... A food that will be discarded (and not consumed) after it's use.... But they did get Kudos for using re-usable plates and cutlery this year.)

Here is an old review, and by listening this morning, it looks like they got any start up kinks out:

www.montrealmirror.com

"Robin des Bois’ sense of novelty (Ed. and mission) is twofold. On the one hand, 100 per cent of the restaurant’s proceeds go to charity; on the other, the restaurant’s staff is made up almost entirely of volunteers, the sole exception being the chef. (Ed. and I think CBC mentioned one or two more management.)" Even the board of directors for this non-profit are voluteers.

Does anyone know of any similar activity in Ottawa ?

If anyone catches wind of someone interested in starting something similar here, in Ottawa, please post here.

I'm totally willing to give up the time I spend here crafting posts on Ottawa Foodies (and then some) and put that bandwith to good work getting a Robin des Bois thingy going.

2009 Mar 8
Is there a Hari Krishna resto in Ottawa? They work this way. And there were no set prices for meals - donation only

I used to go to one in Prague where the food was fantastic.

2009 Mar 8
^ Govindas Govinda's

2009 Mar 8

... and Perfection Satisfaction Promise is similar (Perfection-Satisfaction-Promise).

www.perfectionsatisfactionpromise.ca

but both PPP and Govindas have only one charity ... either Hare Krishna or Sri Chinmoy organizations.

Robin des Bois have a number of secular charities (and is not just vegan/vegetarian). They charge market prices for bistro fare.

With mostly volunteers as staff and a number of suppliers donating goods and services (eg:linens, equipment repairs) ... they are able to 'Rob' from the rich and give to the poor.

PS: Here is the Robin des Bois menu: www.robindesbois.ca
Black Beer and Buckwheat Honey Pork Spareribs
Caramelized garlic and parsnip puree, spicy red cabbage salad
Yumm Yumm