A not so 'Social' experiece - PART II [General]

2008 Aug 29
As the original Forum Thread has now reached well over 50 posts, and is taking so long to load, I am creating a continuation as PART II...

--- --- ---

My Mom's A Foodie originally said:

"I was going out with some new friends for drinks and a bite to eat. They wanted to go to the market so I recommended Social as I love their patio and the food is usually ok. I went in with low expectations as far as service goes as I have been there many time before and typically received uneducated, slow service.

After being seated our waiter greeted us with little enthusiasm as when speaking to us was looking at every customer but us. When asked about something on menu he told us to hold on a second, walked away and straightened the table next to us, of which no one was sitting at. Might I add that our table was on such a horrible slant that my friends wine glass would periodically slide down, almost off the table numerous times but he didn't seem to be concerned about the table in actual use?

When delivering our drinks he dropped them off at our table and told us he would be back in a bit to pour the wine into the glasses as he had to deliver a few other drinks to another table? Very awkward as the drinks he was delivering to the other table required no pouring so why were they not delivered first?

The cutlery for our main courses were almost thrown down in front of us without a word.

Throughout the night he made many strange and in appropriate comments. One of the ones I particularly remember was when he insulted me after my main courses we delivered. I had tried a few of the vegetables and was chatting so I had not yet cut into my beef tenderloin. When he walked by asking how everything was, without even stopping I might add, he said 'oh I see you are just smelling your dinner' and walked away laughing? By this point we were all at the point where the 'Social' experience was in very poor taste!

Another drink was ordered and forgotten. When reminded, very politely I might add, he didn't even apologize? When it was finally delivered he went to walk away and I had to call him back to remove our plates, which had been finished now for at least 10 minutes.

A long period of time passed after this, all with empty drinks and a dessert menu which had been delivered long ago he finally returned and we asked for the bill.

We all paid with credit cards and when he delivered the final bills he handed out one bill and then said to us that we could disburse the rest of them almost annoyed and walked away?

We all decided to leave 10% which upon further reflection should not have even happened. 0% and a conversation with the manager was what we should have done but I didn't want to put a damper on the evening. Although I am sending the manager a letter addressing our experience so hopefully this doesn't happen to someone else. It is a nice space and I know they try hard with their food so it is always disappointing when the service is as such.

Just want to add that we then decided to go to The Whalesbone for dessert and drinks where as usual the service was fantastic and very personable!"

2008 Aug 30
F&T, I really suggest you read this site while logged in so the "streamlining" feature can work for you. Long topics are the whole reason I implemented that feature...

I have to pipe in on this topic. I honestly don't understand what axe Pete (and others) have to grind with Ron. He made a very small comment that didn't seem particularly inflammatory to me. I think Tracinho has a point:

"Did someone just break a two week old post down word for word and then provide mean-spirited, hyperbolic commentary the whole way through? And people agree with it? I'm almost without words...

I can't imagine why a relatively innocuous poster would be so savagely attacked."

We're all entitled to our opinions here, but let's not take things too seriously please.

2008 Aug 30
Ahhh, that's why it was taking long to load for her. Wasn't taking long for me at all, and I'd much rather have an entire thread in one piece rather than breaking it up.

I'm also confused by this entire thread.

2008 Aug 31
1) I hope Citizen Ron still continues to play with us. I actually don't read the Citizen much, and consequently, don't read him much, but think this place is better the more participants we have and I do think its better if we have someone who thinks about food for a living.
3)FF, I do get where you are coming from to a point. But at the same time Citizen Ron is a more public figure and also has the baggage that goes with that. While I disagree with him that we have a responsibility to talk about issues we may have with management, I also think he goes too far when he talks about the fact that his identity is revealed. While the commentary is equal here, its not in when his commentary is published. Readership of the Citizen is well above 100K I would think and on its way to 200K. Some of those readers might react in letters to the editory but many might also read and silently disagree. I am not sure if Pete is in that category, but Ron should expect that his heigtened public status comes at a cost - heightened public criticism. This is not to put any words in Pete's mouth who very well might reject my view. But, I can write here and not many will read me. When Ron writes in the Citizen its a large audience and as a result, I think he needs to consider his commentary..... but that is just me. Having said all that I hope he stays and posts regularly!

2008 Sep 1
Yeah that thread kind of went all over the place. I'm partly responsible for that.

My only issue with Ron's post was that he clearly didn't fully read the thread. He recommended she take it up with management, even though she indicated that she had already planned to do so. Thus, his post came across a bit condescending, but it wasn't as horrible as other posters made it seem. Heck, I've seen much worse on here! lol.

I can also see where he is coming from regarding his neutrality. His job is to report and explore Ottawa's culinary/foodie scene and not to be a restaurant reviewer. Thus, he can't afford to burn bridges and he needs to remain as neutral as he can. Given that he's posting as himself and not under a pseudonym, I can see why he would advocate not posting critiques/reviews and dealing with management directly.

2008 Sep 3
I agree this post did take a peculiar tangent at one point. That said however I think there were some valid points made, both in regards to the original post and to the tangents.

I for one would like to see Citizen Ron come back and post here. I think that he has a lot to offer. I enjoy reading him in the Ottawa Citizen and I know he has a different perspective on the Ottawa Food Scene.

Unfortunately, I do think that as much as his job is a blessing with his foodie knowledge, it probably gets in the way of his enjoyment of the internet. I would imagine he might disagree with this statement because, he believes so strongly in using his own name vs an alias as his user name, but there are many others here who have found that by using an alias it allows them to keep their work lives, and their social foodie lives somewhat seperate. What does matter is a consistent name that one posts with, a name that becomes easily recognizable to others in this Foodie Community, and with which fellow posters establish a history with. In the end it doesn't matter if Jane Doe is your real name, or your user name. (As William Shakespeare so aptly put it "A rose by any other name....").

Actually, I think that Ron could have not only shared with us, but us with him. I take it from his last post, that he really doesn't understand Foodie Review Sites at all... referring to those who post Reviews as "Slaggers" (I do have to say I got somewhat offended at this). But, then again this isn't the first time we've heard that on Ottawa Foodies from a member of the press. I believe that he has the right to his opinion, however, I don't have to agree with it, nor do I believe that by having your name in a daily newspaper makes you any better than anyone else. Name calling aside.

--- --- ---

As for my opening Part II...

I love the streamlining, and 90% of the time that is how I view the site. However, being logged in is not always possible (work, on the road, etc). And I am sure there are other Registered Users who browse without logging in from time to time. When a long forum discussion is underway, the temptation to check in and see what is happening is heightened... but unfortunately due to circumstance, there is no other option than the longer load time. (Although I couldn't post, I did browse the site off and on the whole week I was away on vacation... it was great to keep up with the chatter back home).

Although it is rare that a topic hits 50+ posts, but in the longer format, 50 does seem to be the magic number when things slow down considerably (more so if there are a lot of graphics... Captain C seems to ramp those up if the discussion is heated, LOL).

I also know of more than one user who views this site by other means than a computer (iphone / blackberry). I am sure that the longer posts and extensive graphics can be an issue for them as well.

Anyways... I'm not B!tchin, just saying how it is.