Shopping for raw meats [General]

2008 Aug 26
In Peterborough I could get pork loin and eye of round for $2.99 at the farm boy(not affiliated with the Ottawa farm boy)that was a really good quality. I had to flyer-watch to find a deal on whole chickens and chicken breasts and stock up the freezer. I knew to never buy meats at the no-frills (caught expired meats in the case too many times), and if I wanted something special I loved the German butcher, (Franz's on Lansdowne if your ever there.

Where do you shop for your meats?

Do you just pick up whatever is available at the grocery store?

Do you Head to a special butcher or organic supplier?

Order half a cow at a time?

Do you know of any regular deals for "everyday" cooking when you feeling budget conscious?

Anywhere to avoid?

2008 Aug 26
My kind of topic!

I live downtown so I can't speak to the options in the outlying neighbourhoods, but...

I find Sasloves and Aubreys to be quite good. The forums here indicate some people have had problems with the former, but whenever I need something hard to source (unbutchered whole rear hams, milk piglets), they are my go to spot. However, both places are expensive, no way around it. I try to learn techniques for the less famous cuts (pork shoulder, hanger steak, organ meats etc) to save a few bucks here and there. I also enjoy the challenge of it.

Glebe Meat market seems ok, lots of frozen stuff, but I can't say I have been blown away by either price or quality when I have been there.

The deli next to Aubrey's and the sausage kitchen have great stuff in terms of charcuterie, sausage, smoked cuts etc. As some of these items are not super popular or made from really expensive cuts, prices seem to be pretty good.

The meat and seafood area of Kowloon on Somerset is pretty wild...I just haven't built up the bravery to really experiment with the things they have in there...yet. I am working up to it. Prices are certainly great. I just don't have the guts to buy a whole chicken out of a pile in a cardboard box in the middle of the floor...

2008 Aug 26

Primarily LOEB ... their sales are true sales and the pork is not the 'seasoned' kind like loblaws. I don't need the extra salt and water added to my pork.....

... and the LOEB is two blocks from me and I don't have to walk 4.2 Km from the parking lot to the meat counter at the Real Canadian StuporStore (see my ranting in this forum ---> www.ottawafoodies.com and here ---> www.ottawafoodies.com )

Here is this weeks LOEB Sales Flyer ---> www.1derwork.com/loebflyer2/

So it looks like I'll be picking up the fresh (Ontario?) lamb shoulder chops this week for $2.00/Lb or $4.41/Kg. I cut them up and make a Lamb Khorma (made with yogurt and Page 6 of the Loeb Flyer has Astro Balkan Style yogurt on sale as well ... yeeha).

If I could afford one, then yes I would.

No

Do you know of any regular deals for "everyday" cooking when you feeling budget conscious?

See my answer to the second question

Anywhere to avoid?

I've seen some scary meat at the Food Basics at Hampton Park Plaza. The store has been 'cleaned up' and it's not so busy since Caldwell Crowd now shops the new Food Basaics on Merivale Rd., so the fruit and vegtables can be a Real Deal in there.

2008 Aug 26

I usually check the flyers and buy whatever is on sale. Most grocery stores have their weekly flyers posted on their website or for convenience you can find them all in one spot here: flyertimes.com

Not usually. I usually shop the flyers and stock up. There are certain cuts of meat I use all the time (chicken, ground beef, beef stew, etc.) so when something I use regularly goes on sale I buy what I need and freeze it. The only time I just pick up whatever is if I am having guests over and am planning a special dinner. That's usually when I hit Sasloves or Pelican Fish or the like to pick up something special.

I will occasionally buy beef or chicken at the organic farmers market in Ottawa South when I am there and if I need anything.

No I would never buy that much meat because I don't eat that much of it. The cow would last longer than I would.-;

Yes as stated in the first question.

Anywhere to avoid?

I know this is a meat thread but I now avoid Lapointe's in the market. Their fish doesn't seem as fresh as it used to add to the fact I got food poisoning from their mussels a couple of years ago - not an experience I am eager to go through again! But I love love love Pelican Fish in Ottawa South. Their fish is super fresh and their staff is so knowledgeable and friendly. I would also echo Captain Caper's comments on Food Basics at Hampton Park. I had agreeable experiences with their meat although I don't shop there too often. I usually make a field trip there mostly for canned goods and baking supplies on the rare occasion I "have" to buy something at regular price because their prices are a little cheaper than the other grocery stores. But their vegetables look pretty darn scary.

2008 Aug 26
I order bulk beef from 2 different local farmers, and freeze it. One guy I used to work with and know him well. The other is a friend of mine and so I also know him well.

Anything else except obviously pork I tend to buy at the Al Jazeera Al Jazeerah halal market in Hintonburg. Captain, specialty butchers don't have to be expensive. I find the chicken there to be excellent, and close to the same price as Costco. I think Muslims are obliged not to gouge their customers. Plus, the butcher does his thing on a table right in front of you, so you get to see with your own eyes what kind of care is being taken. There are lots of Muslim butcher shops around the city. Not sure if they are all this good, but I sure like this one.

Pork either order in bulk from the 1 of our 2 farmers who raises it, or buy at a regular supermarket like Costco or Superstore.

2008 Aug 26
Zy, you're right, specialty butchers don't have to be expensive.

I sometimes go to Al-Kalaa Mini Market on Kirkwood. see ---> Al-Kalaa Mini Market

The Al-Kalaa is a family owned business that contains a butcher, who features some Mid East delicacies like makanek and soujouk sasauges and kibbe. The butcher also gets local lamb and beef from a farmers auction.

And his halal meat is not expensive.

Not only that, .... his peanuts from the Sudan are to die for !!

The picture is makanek sasauges that look just like his. A Capatin Caper 3 Yumm Rating. Yumm Yumm Yumm !!

2008 Aug 26
Oliver's Rock - Great Topic!

An assortment of stops - Grocery Store, Deli Counter, and a Butcher.

For day-to-day shopping I do shop at Loblaws. Typically that is where I get things like Hamburger, Chicken Breasts, and Pork Chops.

I stopped shopping the flyers years ago. The exception is if I see flash-frozen Lobster, Shrimp or Crab on sale at Loblaws, then I'll make sure I stock up.

I have been a customer of The Butchery in Bells Corners for years. This is where I purchase Roasts, Stuffed Chicken Breasts or Pork Chops and Sausages.

"The Man" has recently introduced me to Pete & Gus in Barrhaven, and this is where he buys his Steaks & California Roasts. I have been impressed by the quality.

I would like to try Aubrey's Meats Aubrey's Meats in the Pinecrest area, as I have read good things about this Butcher in The Ottawa Citizen.

Too much food, and besides I don't have enough freezer space as it is.

That's usually when I resort to Chuck Steak (Pot Roast), Stewing Beef, or Chicken Parts.

Anywhere to avoid?

Like others I stay far away from Food Basics... the only thing I've only found to be of value there is dry goods. In fact like other's have said, I find "their outside edge" (meats, produce, dairy, bread) to be down right scarey.

I am also not a big fan of Costco's Meat Department.

When it comes to fish, I have had good luck with Lapointe's in Bell's Corners, and some of the larger Farm Boys.

Deli Meats in the past is something I've purchased at Farm Boy, but after this whole Listeria fiasco, I'm guessing it will be awhile before I can bring myself to go back.

2008 Aug 26
I wish I could order bulk beef, but that's not an option in my apartment (very little space for a deep freezer).

I've had beef from Dobson Farms (butchering on their meat isn't very good, which can be frustrating), Fitzroy Beef Farmers, Saslove's, Glebe Meats, etc. I've had positive experiences with all, I'd say that based on price point I'd go with Fitzroy. I've been wanting to try Kellgreen Farms for organic chicken & beef... anyone tried them? Zym, any recommendations (ie. who do you buy from)?

I often buy flank steaks since they're pretty cheap and very flavourful. Also, stewing beef, shoulders of pork, whole chickens that I'll break down myself, skin & bone, etc. Doing the work yourself can save money sometimes.

2008 Aug 27
I buy from Frank :-) His smallest order is what I get - it's a quarter side and is about 2.5 milk crates of beef. It will fit into the freezer of an average 17CF fridge. But not much else will. I also buy from www.saffirefarms.ca and his smallest order is smaller still. Frank's prices are a lot better.

Somewhere I have a link with details of my order, but I'll have to dig it out later.

2008 Aug 27
zym's post about Frank: ottawafoodies.com

2008 Aug 27
I often check out the flyers online and plan from there

www.citysales.ca

I recently moved to Orleans (just off Trim Rd), so I can take a drive to Sobey's, continue down Innes to Loebs, Farm Boy, and the Superstore before swinging around to Food Basics on 10th (and yet another Loebs) and hit all the sales in a short distance. Of course, I don't go to *all* of them every time.

I've gone to the butcher on St Joseph across from the mall a couple times too, no idea what it's called, looks kind of dingey on the outside but decent meats.

I no longer buy any seafoods from the discount grocers (food basics, price chopper), they are never good IMO, always stinky fish. Even the frozen stuff is full of water and will lose 1/2 its weight. I've taken to Farm Boy and Sobey's (nice selection!) for my seafood since there is no proper fish monger out this way.

2008 Aug 27
And here are details on the order I got in the spring of this year : spreadsheets.google.com

EDIT : oh, and I think he gave me something like a $50 discount on that order just because I've been such a longstanding customer and have given him so many referrals. Not sure if that would be a 1 time thing or what, but I don't really care.