Hidden Gem Restaurant? [General]

2008 Aug 11
I want to take someone out for a birthday celebration next week.
He keeps saying he's looking for a new place to go that offers the same quality I've introduced him to.

We've gone to Sterling and last time the service was abysmal. We usually go to Il Piccolino and love it every time - but I know he'd like somewhere new.

I was thinking of trying Beckta and might end up there. But am wondering if there's another hidden gem of a restaurant we should try first? Somewhere that's a little boutique restaurant with the same quality of food we like to celebrate with.
Suggestions?

2008 Aug 11
You could also try E18teen or Benitz Bistro. E18teen is about the same price as Beckta. We have always had good service and food especially if doing the blind chef's tasting (4 courses with wine pairings) but friends had one less stellar experience when they went on a fri night and the music was loud/'clubbish'. Benitz is bit newer and has an excellent chef. The decor is very minimalist and modern.

2008 Aug 11
The Wellington Gastropub

Though I'm not really sure if it (or some of the others you mentioned either) classifies as "hidden"

2008 Aug 12
..... "For the Cariboo Lover in You !!" (sung to the Red Lobster jingle: 'For the seafood lover in you.')

Sweetgrass Aboriginal Bistro ---> Sweetgrass Aboriginal Bistro <---.
It's .... it's .... well it's ..... TOP NOTCH!!

2008 Aug 12
I kind of had the same issue as Zym and part of the reason I haven't added a suggestion, in my mind Boutique and Hidden Gem don't always go together. My choices for "gems" might otherwise be termed an "underdog". But, they have something about them that sets them apart from the crowd. And for me that is what makes them special.

2008 Aug 12
BakingBombshell, i'm almost reluctant to suggest Fleur De Sel as it falls into a lower price category than the others mentioned above, and thus, might fall short in other respects? (i dunno ... never having dined at Beckta, i can't compare.)

caveats noted, FDS might fall into the "hidden gem" category in being a bit off the beaten path (on the other side of the river) and not receiving much attention in the way of reviews, etc. Its also what i'd call "boutique-y" (smallish and stylish), and is close to other chic watering holes, just in case the b-day boy wants to partake in libations post-dinner.

The food's interesting / eclectic, w/ an emphasis on seafood and vegetarian, and they've got a nice wine selection along w/ one or two craft beers. The owner & chef are friendly.

ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1423

2008 Aug 13
BakingBomshell would you consider telling us what type of cuisine you like? Like others I did not post any suggestions because Beckta and the like are out of my price range. But I could recommend some other places that might be a little easier on the pocket book. Chez Lucien and The Manx come to mind - they have great atmosphere and the price is right!