2008 Aug 6
From the onion, but really, oh so true!

www.theonion.com

2008 Aug 6
that really is wonderful. and true.

and yet still, i say "ewwww. that's gross!"

2008 Aug 6
This reminds me of the McRib sandwich.

Pre-formed 'pork product' in the shape of a actual rib portion.

One thing I could never understand .... The ridges are supposed to represent rib bones, but they are edible ... so I guess they are edible rib bones.

2008 Aug 7
The world famous "McRib" Sandwich last came up in conversation here on Ottawa Foodies back in April.

At that time I did some research and discovered this McDonald's item has a very dedicated following. It is a popular menu item in some countries (Ashley mentioned Japan) while other countries are not interested in it at all.

In Canada and the USA, it has traditionally been a "specialty" item which pops up now and then on the menu. Each time McDonald's stating that it is either for a limited time, or "get it before it's gone", and in 2005 they implied that the McRib was on it's "Farewell Tour". And evidently it is the ONLY McDonald's menu item that has a Fan Club. LOL

For interesting reading on the McRib phenomena, check out these websites:

www.foodfacts.info/mcrib/
or
www.mcrib.com
or
www.bonelesspigs.org

The latter two listings, evidently websites set up by McDonald's as a sort of spoof of themselves. (Which just goes to show, that a company who's corporate mascot is a clown... can in actuality be funny).

2008 Aug 7
I hate to have to sound snobby but....that's just nasty. Perfect ribs are a near holy experience (thinking back to Memphis BBQ). McDonald's grosses me out enough as it is but them doing that to ribs is so wrong.
I'm thankful I'm not one of those people who has to fight the urge to go to McDonald's because I know it's not good for me. I don't have any want to go at all. It grosses me out too much. My kids have never been either.

2008 Aug 7
Hey BB .... Watchout !!! Micki-Dee's is waiting for you and your family.

Please protect them at all costs.

2008 Aug 7
McDonald's seems to have an issue with Pork in general... all their pork products are artificial in so many ways. Breakfast Sausage patties are absolutely disgusting... and yet so many people love them... I swear they put "stuff in them" so people will become addicted to them... they are beyond fake. Employees call them Sawdust Patties (in reference to their nutritional value).

2008 Aug 7
If you think their beef or chicken is any less fake, best think again.

2008 Aug 7
CC I blame YOU if my bursting out laughing just woke the kids.

2008 Aug 8
Captain C - That was priceless, I have no idea how you did that, but it is histerical!

BakingBombshell - When the kids were little we went to McDonalds (it was just an accepted thing to do back in the 70s and 80s). Now you couldn't get me near the place. Absolutely gross!

Zym - I agree that their beef and chicken (and fish for that matter), probably isn't any less fake, lets just say it is a lot more "recognizable". I know at one time they had a real chicken breast sandwich (albeit breaded) that was the last half-decent item I remember "meat" wise from them. Now everything they make looks like it was pushed thru a meat grinder / extruder. Ick!

2008 Aug 8
I remember two comments my mom made at our first family visit to the new McDonald's in Sydney Nova Scotia circa 1973. The only other fast food in Cape Breton at that time was Colonel Saunders (now KFC) which was takeout only and A&W, where you ordered from your parked car window and they brought the food to your car (on a tray that hooked on to your partially rolled down car window)

My mom to my dad, while we were all at the order counter ... "You mean they don't bring the food to the table ?" and

after biting into her first ever McDonald's hamburger ... "This bun is toooo sweet !".

She got it right ... right off the bat. (and her maiden name was McDonald ta boot).

2008 Aug 8
Captain C - I remember those A&W original drive-ins, however in my case it was the 1960's in America while on vacation. As a kid I was fascinated, and totally fell in love with the concept, and those frosty mugs of root beer. It was the first time I had root beer. To this day A&W still draws me in every now and then, it is totally based on memories... I still order a Teen Burger. LOL

My first encounter with "The Colonel" also happened on vacation (we spent a lot of time in the USA). The chicken was pretty yummy (we now know it is those "secret" ingredients that makes it addictive), but I really really liked the side salads. Fortunately for me, I have pretty much given up my cravings for KFC, now I only have it once a year (knowing full well that it is terrible for me).

McDonald's never really had me. First off I think it was because by the time they hit Canada I was a teenager... and well food research shows that they market to small kids for a reason (again those "secret" ingredients). As I've said previously, I find their food too processed.

2008 Aug 8
I frigging love McDonald's.

There, I said it. And I'm not ashamed of it.

And Eric Ripert loves McDonald's too!

www.gourmet.com

2008 Aug 9
In Douglas Coupland's book JPOD, the characters have a love/hate relationship with McDonald's. They refer to it as "the taint" and anyone who brings it into their workspace is shunned for the remainder of the day (they are, ahem, tainted).

Anyway, BF and I both harbour a secret love of McDonald's (usually only indulged in road trip situations) which we always refer to as "the taint" since it's just so bad for you and you know that you shouldn't go there!

2008 Aug 9
Jules - Great story. And to quote my east coast friends:

"T-ain't that the truth." (another great pun).

2008 Aug 10
It's confession time for the 'ol Captain.

I cured my very first hangover with a Big Mac and fries, circa 1976. And it really worked. I felt 87% better after woofing down the stuff.

I used to get "Bic Mac Attacks" through high school ... but now I'm in recovery.

PS: Why does the actual food never look like the promo pictures ? This even happens to frozen food. There is a far cry from the "Suggested Serving" picture and what the product actually looks like.

In the 80's I was going to do an 'art project', where I would cut out the picture from a frozen food box and mount it along side of an actual picture of the product that was inside the box. ( and call it 'Rhetoric vs. Reality'). I've seen this type of art project a number of times since then.

2008 Aug 10
Here is the "Suggested Serving" picture for the previous posting.

Notice any differnce from the actual product picture ?

Can one sue for false advertising ?

2008 Aug 10
Captain C - Ah yes the wonders performed by a Food Stylist. This media artist preps food for Tv, Movies and Magazines. Glue guns, shellac and other non-edible products are their friends. You'll find this website informative, it even tells you how that picture perfect "Big Kac" is achieved:

www.media-awareness.ca

2008 Aug 10
Slightly off-topic, but every so often you get a Wendy's burger that looks pretty damn well like the ones in the commercials. Since, like McDonald's, I usually only get Wendy's on road trips, this hardly ever happens ;)

2008 Aug 11
LOL, More off topic...

Momomoto - I've pretty much given up fast food entirely. I'm down to a trip once a year to KFC, Wendy's once in awhile in the winter for a bowl of chili (like if I'm out shopping and need a quick lunch), and maybe twice a year a Harvey's hamburger (can't stand anyone else's). That's it for the big chains. I've found it somewhat harder to give up pizza, ice cream and french fries, but that is because I've "upped the ante"... now I like gourmet pizza, homemade ice cream (ok once or twice a summer I also get a Blizzard) and I've been spoiled by chip wagon fries (but even them, I just do a couple times a summer). I figure I am eating better, and I don't really miss the junk. But I'm really no farther ahead really because I've just made some trades... like I traded the synthetics in fast food ice cream for all that cream in whole fat ice cream. Well at least the taste is better.

2008 Aug 11
The first Harvey's burger I had was back in the 80's. My girlfriend at that time said "Ohhhh ..... it looks like a cooked Gaines*Burger" i.e. dog food.

I was never able to look at another Harvey's Burger again .... and not think Gaines*Burger.

2008 Aug 21
Why when I search on "factory food" does this thread not come up? Are you not searching the subject field?

2008 Aug 21
Hmm.. I guess not. You can use the "You might get better results with Google Search feature." Like I said a while back, I'm tempted to remove my internal site search because Google will always do it better, not to mention it's a resource drain and a bit of a pain.

Of course, now this thread does come up in the search because you mentioned "factory food" in your posting. ;-)