Vegas, baby! [Food/Vendor]

2008 Aug 4
Can anyone recommend some great places to eat in Las Vegas? I don't want to get caught in one of the many tourist traps in the city.

2008 Aug 4
One of many tourist traps in the city... so are you looking for something off the beaten path or something on the strip but not overhyped? This city has it all, and even the tourist trap restaurants have amazing food for the $.

2008 Aug 5
Um, Las Vegas IS a giant tourist trap. That's all it is from end to end, top to bottom. What a strange thing to say!

2008 Aug 5
I've been a few times. I really like Thomas Keller's Bouchon at the Venetian. I've also heard rave reviews of Rosemary's restaurant, which is a ways off the strip, but I'm told is a fantastic place with really reasonable prices. The buffet at the Bellagio, while expensive, is probably one of the best buffets I've ever had.

2008 Aug 5
Well I suppose, despite the whole city being a tourist trap, I thought some foodie travellers (gamblers?) might have some advice to avoid having a really awful meal while I'm there for work.

Thank you for the recommendations, tre. Ideally, I'd love to find a place on the strip that has great food and where I don't feel as if I've been ripped off TOO much. But if there are some gems off the beaten path, I'd be interested to hear about them too.

2008 Aug 5
I was there twice on business and the food was pretty good both times. One time was Mirage and I forget where I was the other time. But I wasn't too worried about getting ripped off anyway since work was paying the tab :-)

2008 Aug 5
Bouchon for sure.

2008 Aug 5
I'd do Bellagio for brunch again - it was insane. They had everything... sushi to scrambled eggs. The OJ was fresh squeezed and the coffee was actually really good. It was pricy, but very nice after a long night of partying. I also had a memorable meal at Vic & Anthony's (steakhouse) - wild boar loin with a chanterelle mushroom sauce, they also had a phenomenal wine selection.

2008 Aug 5
Oh, I almost forgot...I had a great dinner at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill in Caesar's Palace. I wasn't a big fan of the man, but the food was outstanding, but a little repetitive in presentation . I told my wife if I won $100 in slots we'd go there for dinner. 15 minutes later I was up $250 and made a reservation. The only dinner I've reserved for in advance was at Bouchon (once each on two separate trips). You can generally reserve same day for most places. Also, if you gamble a lot, get a player's card, and you can often be rewarded with free dinners. I wish I would have won enough to eat at Joel Robuchon's restaurants at MGM, but it ran around $175 a person, yikes!