Where can I find a Monte Cristo sandwich? [General]

2008 Aug 4
I've never had a Monte Cristo sandwich (considered by some to be the king of sandwiches) and I've been searching on and off for a couple of years for a place in Ottawa that sells them. I can tell you that Zak's menu on their website is horribly out of date since it hasn't had that sandwich for over a year and there might be a high scale restaurant that has it but I'm looking for your mainstream Monte Cristo, the kind that a diner or deli sells. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

2008 Aug 4
If you really want to try one and can't find it in a restaurant, these are really easy to make yourself - just place sliced turkey, ham, and cheese (usually swiss) between 2 slices of bread, dip the whole thing in egg (like you would french toast), and fry it up in a pan. In a regular diner they would probably use luncheon meats, but if you make it yourself you could use real roasted turkey and ham to make it that much more delicious (and probably closer to the original sandwich when it was made back in the day before our modern foods came along). Some people like to eat them with jam or syrup. Made without meat (ie: a cheese sandwich dipped in egg and fried) is called a Cheese Dream. Yummy! :)

2008 Aug 5
get yourself a plane ticket and then a short ferry ride and come to the Rock Salt. We make a Monte Cristo with cheddar jalapeno bread from a local bakery, cheddar and good black forest ham. Then it is dipped in a parmesan batter and griddled. With a side of asian slaw and a crunchy dill...heaven ! Oh and a pint of the local brew doesn't hurt.

2008 Aug 5
Hey, I'm drooling on my keyboard here, have some mercy! Seriously though, that sounds great.