Is everyone getting there fill of local wild mushrooms? [General]

2008 Jul 29
Ive been picking and eating and drying and freezing and canning and pickling!!! Oh ya and eating! Heres a pic of my last daily haul!

2008 Jul 29
Haven't taken any photos so far, and my knowledge of shrooms isn't good enough to be eating most of the stuff I think I've found... but... I think I've seen oyster, chanterelle, and most definitely pheasant's back.

Whereabouts are you looking Butcher?

2008 Jul 30
Haha chimi, thats a age old question people have been wondering for years!! Mostly armprior/renfrew area.

2008 Jul 30
Very nice! High five!

2008 Jul 30
there is no such thing as too many mushrooms!

2008 Jul 30
Da B: I'm really intrigued. Do you use a field guide or did someone teach you the ropes of mushrooming around here. How would you recommend getting educated on the types available in our area?

Do you think you could label the second pic above for us (ie: starting at left and going clockwise: X, Y, Z, etc.) Thanks ;)

2008 Jul 30
B,

Please come to next month's wine tasting. I need to buy mushrooms off of you. I haven't had a trompette de mort in years, and I'm droolin' all over the keyboard!

2008 Jul 30
I've seen many of the bright orange mushrooms (similar to those in the photo above) in the Gatineaus/on hikes in the woods and always thought hmm...probably grew out of a bear turd and/or is poisonous. I've also seen ones that appear to be magically glowing (and perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that in a post about mushrooms)...but they were!
I'm guessing "looks similar" is a very dangerous term in the mushroom world. :)

2008 Jul 30
AMR - your magically glowing mushroom that looks like a chanterelle is probably a jack-o-lantern... poisonous! Do not eat!

2008 Jul 30
My old Pharmacology prof told a story about the dangers of "looks similar". He had friends visiting from France who got violently ill after cooking and eating what they thought were chanterelles growing in his backyard.

I don't know if they were glowing, though!

2008 Jul 30
Tracinho- In the second pic all the baskets except for the one on the top right are full of Hypomyces lactifluorum, Hydnum repandum and Cantharellus cibarius, or in regular old mushroom slang, Lobsters (bright orange/red ones), Hedgehogs or sweet tooths and golden chanterelles. The two big as# shrooms in the basket on the left are leccinums (commen birch bolete) and the basket on the top right is full of oyster mushrooms. Hope this helps.

I grew up picking in a town that was full of matsutakes, so mushroom culture was part of my upbringing. I used to pick matsutakes when I was 8 and make like 200 bucks a day back in the 80s!! Of course all my money went to nindendo products and "high tec" tape decks...Ive been picking other wild edible fungi ever since.
Momo- Ive worked like every thursday for months, ill try to make it to the next one (fingers crossed)with some trumpets for you :)

Amr- Definetly sounds like jack o lanterns, my stomack acks just thinkin about those!

DO NOT EAT ANYTHING YOU PICK UNLESS YOUR 100% SURE OF ITS IDENTITY
"SOME MUSHROOMS ARE FOR LOOKING, AND SOME MUSHROOMS ARE FOR COOKING"

I use books, net, microscope and spore prints to identify all my wild edibles.

2008 Jul 30
I'm a big fan of wild mushrooms. Every time I visit my parents in the country I desperately wish I knew which ones are edible. There are so many out there.

2008 Jul 31
Thanks for the tip/info...though I already go by the rule: if it glows, best not eat it.
But now I know what they probably are. Wow!
en.wikipedia.org
Mushroom IDing is a very interesting skill to have.

I like the part "Complicating its toxicity is the fact that it smells and looks very appealing".
Huh. That could be applied to some people too. :)

2008 Aug 7
Interesting article in today's Ottawa Citizen (Thursday, August 7, 2008) in the weekly "100 Mile" feature. Turns out there is a man from Farelton, Quebec (about 30 Km from Ottawa) who has a farm called "Le Coprin" who grows a variety of mushrooms... many of which were previously not farmed in Canada. He has been growing mushrooms since 2006, supplying about 100 area chefs.

The exciting news, is he now sells to the general public at the Ottawa Farmer's Market at Lansdowne Park on Sundays.

Varieties include:

King Oysters
Pearl Oysters
Winter Mushrooms
Nameko
Reishi
Blue Oysters
Phoenix Oysters
Elm Oysters
Lion's Mane
White Beech
Shimeji

and
Some wild mushrooms that he himself gathers, including:

Porcinis
Black Trumpet
Chanterelles
Lobster Mushrooms

* For all the Mushroom fans, I will set up a Food Link for Wild Mushrooms with the Company Info.

2008 Aug 7
Interesting while I was setting up the NEW VENDOR, Ottawa Foodies pointed out that there were two entries regarding "Le Corpin" Mushrooms already on the WebSite, both referenced Chef John Taylor at Domus.

Entry # 1 - "Le Corpin" Mushrooms were utilized in the dish he prepared for the Ottawa Restaurant Awards back in January (entry by Ashley)

Entry # 2 - And again featured in a dish at The Winemaker's Dinner in May at Domus Cafe (entry by Momomoto).

2008 Aug 8
Food&Think Le Coprin does in fact have a stand at the Lansdowne Farmers Market and I bought some enoki mushrooms for a risotto last weekend and I plan on going back for more enokis this weekend. Their mushrooms are very fresh and they really know their product. They also sell small bags of mixed dried mushrooms which I look forward to trying as well. If any mushroom fans out there are looking for good quality dried mushrooms Forbes Wild Foods sells an assortment of them that are much "fresher" than the ones in the grocery store: www.wildfoods.ca

2008 Aug 11
I was out taking a hike, should have brought my camera because I saw 4 HUGE milky blue mushrooms (lactarius indigo). Apparently edible, but really stunning looking.