locating bitter orange peel [Food/Vendor]

2008 Jul 23
anyone happen to know of a place in ottawa that sells it?

2008 Jul 23
Zym - Sorry I don't know of a spot... I was curious about this item though and did a search on google... Wikipedia says it is the peel of a Bitter Orange (as opposed to a peel from a Sweet Orange). So perhaps you need to be looking for Bitter Oranges?

My search also brought up a reference to Ontario Craft Brewers and "Orange Peel Ale" is this what you have in mind... inquiring minds want to know. LOL

2008 Jul 23
I want to brew a Belgian Wit beer, which uses this as an ingredient.

I know that some Asian grocers carry it - must be used in Asian cooking of some sort or another. So I should not have to buy the whole orange :-)

2008 Jul 23
I'm not sure how available Seville Bitter oranges are at this time of year. They usually have a very short season in late January and early February. I usually buy some and if not using directly, freeze the peel and juice separately. There may be other types of bitter oranges that can be used and perhaps an Indian grocery would carry some as they are also used in several dishes. There is a store beside Little India Cafe (on Carling Ave across from the Coliseum theatre) that may carry them.

2008 Jul 23
The store beside The Little India Cafe Little India Cafe is Vaishali's Super Store Vaishali's Super Store.

2008 Jul 28
Zym - Crousset seasonings sells bitter orange peel... here's where you can find retail stores that carry their brand: www.crousset.com/en/vente.html
Alternatively, I think you can buy from their website.

I believe they sell big 35g tins of the stuff, dehydrated... not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for but I hope it helps.

Also, they are just a really good spice purveyor. Check it out foodies!

2008 Jul 29
Dehydrated is what I'm looking for ... thanks!

2008 Aug 2
Actually, I think I saw some dried orange rind at the Carlingwood location of Bulk Barn, the texture was pretty fine though, not sure if that suits your needs. It was located near the teas & spices, NOT the candied & dehydrated fruits.