Food gossip.. [General]

2008 Jul 19
Food Gossip new: Ambiente restaurant in New Edinburgh is for sale!

communities.canada.com

2008 Jul 19
Another (from the same great source - thank you Ron);
Stephen Beckta is opening a second restaurant next year in January at 1 York Street (corner of Sussex & opposite the US Embassy).
communities.canada.com

2008 Jul 19
Today's Ottawa Citizen (Saturday, July 19, 2008) ran a great column on "Wine & Mood" in Ottawa. The column by Kate Parsons stated that wine bars serving small plates are really catching on in Ottawa. The column talks about spots soon to open, and ones already in operation in quite depth. She listed the following places:

DiVino Wine Studio
225 Preston Street
(613) 221-9760
www.divinowinestudio.com
Tuesday to Saturday 5:30 to 11:00 PM
Monday to Sunday = Groups, Corporate, Private
14 to 18 Rotating Wines by the Glass
More than 100 Wines by the Bottle
Bottled Beer, Espresso/Cappuccino
Small & Full Plate Menus

Fourth Avenue Wine Bar
107 Fourth Avenue
(613) 236-0040
www.107fourthavenue.com
Daily = Noon to 2:00 AM
25 Wines by the Glass or Bottle
Draught & Bottled Beers, Cocktails, Espresso/Cappuccino
Small & Full Plate Menus

Trio Lounge
307-D Richmond Road
(613) 722-3887
Daily = 4:00 PM to 2:00 AM
16 Wines
4 Micro-brewed Beers, Cocktails, Martinis
Small Plate Menu

COMING SOON

B Side, Wine + Small Plates
323 Somerset Street West
Daily = 11:30 AM to 2:00 AM
20 Wines by the Glass
Beer, Specialty Cocktails
Small & Full Plate Menus
OPENS First Week of August

The Moonroom
442 Preston Street
Daily = 5:00 PM to 2:00 AM
30 Wines
5 Micro-brewed Beers on tap, Cocktails
Small Plate Menu
OPENS Last Week of August

2008 Jul 28
Thanks for the heads up, F&T!

By the way, Kate also blogs on the Citizen's site under the name of Wine and the City. She's also a sommelier-in-training at DiVino.

After visiting a Coppola-sponsored wine bar in San Francisco last week, I can say that it was a wonderful experience. I loved going into a restaurant that was all about wine. I can't wait for Ottawa to have more spots like the one I visited.

2008 Jul 28
Nanook - Ah.... San Francisco, and Coppola... how divine.

"The Man" introduced me to "Uncle Frank" and his many talents... I am very much in love with his wine, and I've discovered that there are so many that we can't access in Canada. I am looking forward to a vineyard visit in the near future.

2008 Jul 28
... and some day 'graduate' to red wines.

2008 Jul 28
"Jeepers Creepers", Captain C I must say I am "Haunted" by your reply... must be something I "Lost in Translation" ??

(I've always liked (or should I say LOVED) Red Wines)

2008 Jul 28
Wasn't a 'direct' reply to you, but a general reply. Sorry, nothing personel.

Lots of people that get into wine, start with the 'light' whites, go to medium or stronger whites ... but they all end up with The Big Reds.

Kinda like starting with 'Chasing the Dragon' and ending up mainlining.

2008 Jul 28
Captain C - Thanks "Buddy" I was a little confused, because "In My Life" red wine serves as a marker to so many milestones "On the Road" of life... If there was "No Such Thing", well that would be an "Outrage".

And Mr. Coppola does such a fine job with those grapes that grow in "The Secret Garden", makes me think I'll have to have a bottle "Tonight for Sure"
;-)

2008 Jul 28
If you ever go to Napa Valley, I recommend dropping in to Coppola's winery to take a tour - RSVP recommended, also, makes a beautiful photo op so bring your camera (my only regret was not bringing mine!)

2008 Jul 28
.... and when in or near the Napa Valley pop over to the 'better' wine valley, Dry Creek Valley in Sonoma County.

And if you make it to the vinter's heaven on earth, why not get a great deli sandwich at The Dry Creek General Store (See picture) on your way to the best Zinfindal in the world .... at The A. Rafanelli Winery (www.arafanelliwinery.com/). By appointment only.

And for a Captain Caper true story see ---> www.ottawafoodies.com <---.