Vacation Food [General]

2008 Jul 14
Ummm, it's that time of year again.... Summer Vacation.

What foods come to mind when you think about summer vacation. For me food would be in various categories: Food for the Car, Beach Food, and Gotta Haves.

For the Car, there is always that big cup of coffee on the first morning, especially if you are up and on the road very early... and perhaps a stop at Timmies for another along the way, and well you can't stop at Tim's and not get some Tim Bits for the car (afterall this is vacation). Then there is the car cooler, it usually has bottled water, pop, chocolate bars and jelly beans ("The Man" insists we pack the candy).

As for Beach Food, you can't hit the beach without a bag of salty pretzels. I don't know what it is about these, but they are a standard to be enjoyed while sitting on a beach blanket. If there is a beach vendor, you gotta have french fries with vinegar. I have memories of being a kid, and sitting on the beach shivering and munching on vinegar soaked fries... definitely a tradition. Can't find french fries... vinegar chips will have to do. And if you're lucky to be in a location where there is a beach side bar serving "umbrella drinks" all the better, otherwise, it's that favourite summer tradition of inconspicuously drinking your cooler or beer from a cup.

Gotta Haves, well every destination has a list. Anytime I visit the Eastern Seabord from PEI to Virgina, I Gotta Have Lobster. Lobster Dinner, Lobster Salad, Lobster Rolls, let me get my fill of the local specialty. And if they look good I'll add on other seafoods like oysters on the half shell, clams, clam chowder, shrimp cocktail, mussels, fresh caught fish... ah I can hardly wait!

Then of course there are the "local" favourites, always something new to try that you hear about from... well the locals. I've discovered many a great restaurant this way. Plus it's a great way to find new things, and maybe even bring something home to enjoy during the winter. Add in ice cream (every vacation needs ice cream). And one is pretty much stuffed, and ready to diet by the time you return home.

Do you associate food (or any particular food) with vacation? Do you have any traditions... I have a friend and his family that has to have Chinese Food the last night they are away... no particular reason, just because someone started it a long time ago, and now they can't go without. Sometimes it can be a challenge finding a chinese restaurant they've discovered. LOL, and that in itself makes for a great vacation story.

2008 Jul 14
I hear ya about the lobster roll and well, lobster in general, when I hit the east. Anytime I head south (ie, southern USA) I must have: pit BBQ, and Mexican food (as much as I love Ahora, there's a severe shortage of good Mexican in Ottawa). I have a tradition of hitting the New England Culinary Insitute *every* fall in Essex Jct/Burlington, VT. I also have a sick obsession with ordering local pizza everywhere I go, just to try it and compare it... every town/city has it's own take on 'za.

2008 Jul 14
Very similar idea of "vacation food" here: lobster's definitely at the top of the list. We just came back from a very brief stay in Nova Scotia, and had a most decidedly feisty lobster purchased from the Sobey's in Pictou (and "only" nine bucks a pound, too!) Mussels get the same reverence. We didn't have any this time around (the family mussel feed is next week), but they were on sale at a buck a pound while we were there.

Other than that, I drink more beer on vacation than I normally do, in part due to the lack of good glassware on vacation ;)

Our vacation snack of choice has got to be Cheezits. They're crunchy, they're cheesy, they're salty, and the sea air makes them go stale so quickly you're forced to eat them quickly!

I'll not talk about the six-patty burger I ate once (well, twice) at Wendy's. That may not count as vacation food, although my first one was eaten while on vacation.

2008 Jul 14
Chimichimi - Lobster Rocks! Interesting about the NE Culinary Institute in Vermont, I've heard of it but never had the opportunity to check it out... Think I'll add it to my "To Do" List. As for pizza, isn't it amazing how each city has a different take on it... some put the cheese on top, others put the "toppings" on top... some do lots of sauce vs. a little, some thin crust, some thick crust. Pizza is an true foodie adventure.

Momomoto - I knew you and I would see eye to eye on this one (See Food = Seafood). Hope you had a great vacation down east, albeit a short one. Hear ya about the beer, can be true of wine as well (especially if one is in Niagara).