Customers From Hell [General]

2008 Jul 8
Hi, id just like to share this experience and was wondering what your thoughts on it are. The other day a customer ordered a medium well steak for lunch while the rest of the table of 8 ordered salads and sarnies. The steak came back, it had been cut clean in half revealing may i say a perfectly cooked, rested medium well cooked steak. They said he wants another, so this is one along with the garnish goes in the bin, another steak is cooked rare, it goes out he says, he dosent want it anymore. Two full meals in the bin because why? I honesty havent a clue, its beyond me, absolutely lost here, anyone ever done this? O yeah yesterday someone ordered a medium medium rare steak, hilarious!

2008 Jul 8
Someone trying to impress the others at the table - nothing more.

Do you wear steel toes? You should start doing so. People like this deserve a good stiff kick in the n*ts with them.

2008 Jul 9
Some people are just full of themselves. It's all about them all the time, no matter what it is they're griping about or bringing attention to themselves for. I've encountered these types many times, working in the service/retail industry forever. They're obviously not thinking about the waste, people's hard work and time...like I said, they don't have time to think about those things because they're consumed with themselves!! Don't let it bring you down ;)

2008 Jul 9
HAHAHAHA... I think I know this guy, I was wondering were he went.

Seriously, this dude used to frequent a spot I was at, he did everything imaginable to p-off the staff... everyone from bartender, waiter to kitchen was effected by his ridiculous requests. He came in often, but he wasn't what you'd call a regular, he thought however he should get special treatment. He was always making crazy requests... silly thing was, no one (and I mean no one) stood up to him ever. He was nuts, he'd send food back for no reason, want extra this or that (and oh ya no charge if you please) and even asked the staff if they'd keep his favourite imported bottled water on stock (if I recall he didn't even want to pay for the water, he wanted to bring it in and store it there so he could have it whenever he wanted). Now I've been at places where a regular (and I mean a daily customer) might get a few perks, like the bar might order in their "brand" or the restaurant buying a bottle of their preferred steak sauce so they can enjoy it when they come in... smart move, afterall the customer will probably order more steak dinners. But this guy wanted the world. And he was a royal b!tch when he didn't get his way. Like FoodLover said, he thought the world revolved around him... If I didn't dislike him so much, I might have felt sorry for him... afterall it must be hard going thru life with a stick up your @ss!

BTW, was the title of this topic an intentional pun? I assume you are still working at the same spot in the UK. If you ever were to write a book about your experiences there, this would make a great title.

2008 Jul 9
lol, no im working in the Byward market at a very popular restaurant and do have steel toe caps but id never physicaly harm a customer but i would lace their crumble with tabasco. Just venting really thanks for all the support its been emotional.

2008 Jul 9
Personally (and more seriously than the kick in the n*ts comment) if I owned a restaurant and had a customer like that, I would just ask them to leave and never come back.

2008 Jul 9
Was the customer charged for any of the food he wasted?

2008 Jul 9
We have a customer like that....she's learned a couple of the staff's names and chatted them up, so she thinks she's a special customer. Meanwhile whenever she comes in all the staff who don't need to be up front scatter, and someone usually tips off the bistro staff that's she's in the building.

I live in dread of ever being the "oh no, it's HER" lady at any of the places I shop. If I walked into a place and all the staff immediately found something to do in the back of the shop I would hope I would catch on and not be a pain in the ass.

On the other hand even though I work in the back I do know some of the regular customers by name, and will chat with them a minute if I have time.

2008 Jul 10
nah didnt pay a penny, Mousseline do you work with food?