Help me find sardines? [General]

2008 Jul 7

Does anyone know where I can buy fresh or frozen sardines. I don't want to buy canned anymore, but I haven't been able to find anything else.

Thanks

2008 Jul 7
I *think* you can find frozen at Nicastro's on Merivale - best to call ahead so as not to disappoint (or waste your time). You might find fresh ones at the asian food store on Wellington, Market 168 or whatever it's called. Their seafood varies day to day, so check often.

2008 Jul 7
I think I've seen them at Nicastro's (Nicastro Fine Foods) too. Most likely also any of the Portuguese grocery stores (e.g. Mario's Food Centre Mario's Food Centre). Brush them with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, then grill over hot charcoal. Eat with sliced tomatoes and boiled yellow potatoes (drizzle it all with more olive oil). Yum! Sardinhas grelhadas! :-)

2008 Jul 8
I'd be inclined to think Lapointe's on the Market would sell them as well, but you might want to call ahead as their stock varies from week to week. They get their shipments on Monday and again on Thursday.

2008 Jul 8
Oh oh!
I was at Food Basics tonight and thought of you: whole frozen sardines, they had!
It was the Kirkland St. location. Enjoy!

2008 Jul 9
My Portuguese in-laws actually prefer the Food Basic sardines to others, including Lapointe's and Mario's...

2008 Jul 9
Fish she is really small!!!

2008 Jul 10
Daft_diner: interesting! Do you know exactly how about they go to prepare them?
The only reason I don't buy whole fish is because I don't know exactly what to do with it :S