Travel Wiki [Site]

2008 Jul 7
In my time on this site, I've noticed that oftentimes a Foodie will post a topic that asks for recommendations to another city, province or vacation destination. I've also noticed that oftentimes in a topic, a poster will recall a place outside of the Ottawa area that they've had a good foodie experience at. Up until now there has been no place to compile all these recommendations together (and utilzing the search option may not bring them up, because they have been generated by a tangent in a particular thread).

After chatting with Fresh Foodie, I volunteered to undertake the challenge of perhaps setting up a Travel Wiki. He suggested I give it a whirl.

The Ottawa Foodies Travel Wiki would primarily be a LISTING by Destination of foodie related places that Ottawa Foodies would in the real world say RECOMMEND to a friend.

The Travel Wiki would not be a review. What it would be is a reference point. Ottawa Foodies could enter places they've had good experiences at. The listing would let other Ottawa Foodies see places that have been recommended by people who's opinions they know and trust. I would think this would be more beneficial than say visiting other Internet Travel or Foodie Sites and reading reviews made by "anonymous" contributors.

Because the entries in the Travel Wiki are not reviews. Ottawa Foodies who would want more info on a particular "out of town" location, could then contact the Ottawa Foodie who made the recommendation for more details (via the Conversations option).

I have gone ahead and set up a mock-up in the Ottawa Foodies Wiki, you will find it under "TRAVEL TEST".

Please give it a look, and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Food & Think

2008 Jul 7
Nice work, Food&Think! You even got pretty formatted tables in there. I'm impressed! :-)

I like that you have come up with a very sensible table separation (Ontario, Canada, US, and International). I also appreciate that you emphasize the fact that we want recommendations not condemnations. You do a fantastic job of carrying on the spirit of this site into the wiki. :-)

2008 Jul 8
Oh, what fun. I'll be sure to take some time out and start filling in places that I enjoy. Thanks for taking the initiative, F&T.

2008 Jul 9
Fresh Foodie - Thanks for your kind words. There are still a few things I'm not 100% clear on how to do in the Wiki when it comes to tables, but even I am impressed with my first page from scratch.

Momomoto - I'm really looking forward to this project, so often posters such as yourself who do a fair bit of travelling have mentioned a spot they enjoyed, now finally there will be a place to record that info. I'm going to post the Travel Wiki Recommendations post tonight, look for it. Anyone who wants me to make entries on their behalf can post there, I plan to schedule a block of time this weekend to get the thing up and going officially.

2008 Jul 10
Great job F&T.... I will definately be adding and checking it our regularly.
Thanks for all your work.