continually loading [Site]

2008 Jul 2
Not sure if this is a result of having upgraded to Firefox 3 or not, but now the little circle that shows the site is loading is forever going. even when the site has finished loading. this is the only site where i see that behavior

2008 Jul 2
Zym - I find that sometimes this site, main page in particular (or a page that is heavily loaded... close to 50 replies with pics) is slow to load. It isn't all the time, but enough to be bothersome.

Fresh Foodie - I remember reading awhile back about the thought of having topics regenerate a new listing if they were getting lengthy... is this still being considered? I took it upon myself to do that with the Avatars & Icons topic by doing a PART II, (we could all do this for ourselves I suppose if we had a "magic number" that was agreed upon) but it would be nice if it was by the Site Genie ;-)

2008 Jul 2
F&T - I am aware of the need for such a capability; however, I'm trying to avoid it for a number of reasons (philosophical, technical, usability, etc). I'm not a fan of the paging methods used by every other forum out there -- dividing a conversation up into snippets of 20 or 50 posts is too arbitrary for my taste.

For now, I kind of like the idea of the self-limiting topic length. After 50 or so responses it becomes so unwieldy that people are loathe to contribute unless they have something really important to say. This increases the signal to noise ratio and improves accessibility to information for anyone digging that topic up from the past.

I hope you will be patient with me. I try to address the easy problems quickly. The difficult ones take some time. :-)

[EDIT: zymurgist - I have not seen the continual loading behaviour with Firefox 3 on Mac or Windows. I'd appreciate any help in characterizing that!]

2008 Jul 2
I dunno, it's still doing it. Still loading forever. Like, hours.

BTW, I also don't like the pagination of conversations. For one thing, the way some of them do it means you could miss a post or two on the next-to-last page.

2008 Jul 3
Fresh Foodie - Makes sense to me, I can see where the "snippets" would indeed cause things to be lost in translation. As I said, I was just wondering because I had read about it somewheres in the past.

2008 Jul 5
Zym- I'm using Firefox 3 also and am not replicating your problem, it must be you then *lol*

2008 Jul 5
Bummer. It's still doing it. Forever loading ...

:-(

2008 Jul 5
Well I've just exhausted my technical knowledge by telling you that I don't have the same problem as you, don't know if it matters much but I'm running XP??

2008 Jul 5
I'm also running XP :-(