Canada Day Chicken Sandwich [Food/Vendor]

2008 Jul 1
Did anyone ever try one of the Canada Day Chicken sandwiches at Major Hill park?

The New RO featured a story about this famous chicken sandwich tradition, apparently a competition is run to find the ultimate chicken sandwich recipe and the winning recipe is featured as the Canada Day chicken sandwich and sold at the "Annual Great Canadian Chicken BBQ", this year it seems a portion of the proceeds from the ticket sale went to the Ottawa food bank as per the site below
www.ottawakiosk.com

The chicken challenge is apparently presented by the Chicken Farmers of Canada.
Here is link to their site and recipes:
www.chicken.ca

The one they used this year was: Dads favourite chicken:

www.chicken.ca

www.canadianliving.com

Cheers!

2008 Jul 2
Hi Foodista - I didn't get out to Major's Hill Park this year to the Great Canadian Chicken BBQ, so I can't comment on the sandwich (did you get the chance to try one?). I did however post about the event beforehand in the Canada Day Food Events topic see www.ottawafoodies.com I've also listed the ingredients there, I haven't been able to check out the Canadian Living site as of yet, do they have the exact recipe?

2008 Jul 3
I tried the chicken sandwich! It wasn't anything fancy or gourment but it hit the spot and the quality of the chicken was good. At $3.75 it was a bit of a bargain too.