Ahora? [Food/Vendor]

2006 Dec 24
Hi everyone:

My sweetie has asked me to take him out for Mexican food on his birthday next week. I noticed that there seem to be a lot of positive reviews for Ahora. Can anyone tell me if the food that is served there is authentic Mexican? That is what my sweetie wants, and I don't know much about Mexican cuisine.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Merry Christmas everyone :)

2006 Dec 24
I asked my Mexican neighbour which is the best Mexican restaurant. He paused for a while so I prompted him with "Is it Ahora?" He nodded slowly and replied, "Yes, it is... but maybe I should open my own."

So if your sweetie isn't actually Mexican, he will love Ahora! If he *is* Mexican, he'll like it more than any other restaurant. :-)

2006 Dec 24
A friend of mine used to work there. She loved the food, but the experience wasn't her cup of tea. Let's just say that the manager was too friendly. Anyhow, the food is great. Really authentic Mexican dishes. I hope you guys like it!

2006 Dec 26
For what it's worth, the place reminds me of nothing more than the non-chain, slightly out-of-the-way, authentic-seeming Mexican places I liked when I lived in Southern California. Globs of cheap melted cheese and bland cooked salsa* it is not. If it's not authentic, it is at least a very short drive to the border, metaphorically speaking.

* Though that sort of Canadian Mex has its place sometimes...

2006 Dec 29
Thanks to everyone who replied. I suspect we will be giving this place a try, but he has decided that he'd rather stay home and eat pan-seared tuna steak with a green salad :)