kitchen reno [General]

2008 Jun 26
I know there has been a lot of talk about renos on this site, but I had a specific question. I am planning a baking station type of area in my new kitchen and if anyone had any creative suggestions for efficient storage/access for the basics... flours, sugars etc. Mainly the large volume stuff. Any advice on renovating kitchens of course would be welcomed.

2008 Jul 2
FoodnTravel - I've never done a kitchen reno, so I'm afraid I can't offer much advice, although "The Man" has redone his kitchen in stages, his next item is granite countertops. What I would say is though that storage is super important. IMO kitchens just don't have enough "useful" storage. You might want to consider everything you want to store and work backwards from there. I'd think that someplace for big pans and cookie sheets would be a must, along with all the utensils and small appliances that come with baking. As for dry goods I prefer plastic canisters (because they are air tight) you might find inspiration by typeing "baking center" into Google's images search engine. I saw some nice pics there with great ideas.

Good luck on the reno, may your time in the sawdust be short lived.

2008 Jul 3
My mother stores her flour, the baking staple, in a pickling crock (a pretty big one) with a lid. If you were to use something like this, my advice would be to have a shelf/cupboard low to the floor where you can access the crock without having to move it... as nobody wants to move 40 lbs of flour to get one cup!

2008 Jul 3
Russell or Jordash have large lidded bins on casters that will fit a 40 kg bag of sugar or flour. If you happen to want to keep that much flour around. They have smaller food bins and containers as well.

We have some at work and fixed the shelf height to accomodate them.

2008 Jul 4
My husband just made me a baking station (the doors aren't on it yet) but I actually don't store most of my foodstuffs in it, just my flour bin. I store my flour in a big plastic storage bin, that is on a low pullout drawer (behind the red bag in the picture). The partition on the far left has vertical dividers for baking sheets.

farm4.static.flickr.com

This earlier picture might show the bin better:

farm3.static.flickr.com