Canvas bar? [General]

2008 Jun 23
In Ottawa West End there's a resto bar called CANVAS.......it looks nice. Did anybody go there?

2008 Jun 23
You'd be referring to this: canvasrestobar.ca/ restaurant near Tunney's Pasture. Haven't been, yet.

2008 Jun 23
Looks ahh interesting?

2008 Jun 23
I've noticed it when driving by... but from the outside it never "appears" to be open (no activity). WebSite looks interesting, perhaps I'll check it out sometime. Holland seems to be building itself a nice little restaurant niche.

2008 Jun 23
Canvas Resto Bar is in he same location where Absinthe Café Resto Bar Absinthe Café Resto Barused to be before they moved up to Wellington St.

If I can remember correctly, before any restaurant was in this spot, it was part of the garage that is attached next door. It was the customer waiting area, offices, bathrooms etc.

You could say the place went from motor oil to cooking oil !!

2008 Jun 23
Hmmm the menu looks interesting to say the least. Considering that it doesn't look too busy yet I noticed they already had some testimonials posted on their website already. Maybe they had a special opening dinner at some point?

2008 Jun 23
Full disclosure: I have never eaten here. Following remarks are based solely on the website...

1) $22 for "Chick pea puree"... just wrong.

2) $8 for "Iceberg salad"... just wrong, again.

3) Advertising "Integrity and passion were used in ALL the above creations.", I really hope so if it costs $30, total, for pureed chickpeas & an iceberg salad.

On the positive side of things: Online RSVP system is nice, wine list is interesting with many selections by the glass, and from personal experience this place is usually quite busy at lunch when I walk by. I'll probably go after work one day.

2008 Jun 23
I live just up the street, and can say while i've never seen the place packed to the rafters, it does seem to do okay. Busier nights tend to be when there is a show on at the GCTC, but i've never seen it *empty*.

That being said, some of my neighbours have been and mentioned that the food is pretty solid.

2008 Jun 23
I tried Canvas once for lunch in the winter.

I only tried a single item from their menu, it was the most amazing Celeriac Soup ever! The presention was gorgeous, the taste was fabulous, served with yummy olive bread, friendly service and beautiful and comfy atmosphere.

However I would have to agree with chimichi that some items may be a little pricey but their lunch sandwich/soup combo appears to be in a good range.

I haven’t tried their summer/spring menu yet though.

2008 Jun 23
This is where all the higher up types in the government buildings go for lunch and meetings and whatnot!

2008 Jun 23
snoopy, you are absolutley right.

On many days, ya can see 'The Suits' head up the street, at lunch time, from Tunney's Pasture (en.wikipedia.org) to not only Canvas but Allium, Absinthe Café Resto Bar, Anna Thai, and now Thyme & Again Encore's 'The Local Bar' in the lobby of the GCTC ---> www.thymeandagainencore.ca <---

When your a Director General or a Assistant Director General, you don't bring a bagged lunch to work. In fact, you may forget it in the (tax dollar payed for) chauffeured car on the way into work because you were to busy reading (a tax dollar payed for) Globe and Mail.

You can see The Non-Suits heading to The Carleton Tavern, The Foolish Chicken, The Royal Joke (whoops, I mean Oak), The Wood on Wellington, Fil's Diner, Daniel O'Connell's, Pizza Pizza, The Hot Dog Cart (at Holland and Scott) and the new 'Allo 'Allo Cafe ( www.facebook.com ) / 'Allo 'Allo Cafe .

The Birkenstockers go to The Table, Pho Van Van and Thyme and Again.

Speaking about The Local Bar, has anyone been there ? any reviews ?

Here is their menu ---> www.thymeandagainencore.ca <---

2008 Jun 24
Captain..........very interesting description of the West End area. You did a good job! I'm a NO-SUITS like you but, I'd like to try Canvas in future.
Here's a brief review on The Local Bar:

decor: modern, bright, with an ethnic touch

menu: fusion foods for iron palates. Boring

wine list: who....? Only 10 wines in their wine list! Also available at the Lcbo. No vintages! Is it a wine bar or a pub? Who knows.....

Service: so far so good

Overall: The Local Bar is not a wine bar ;(

I recommend The Wellington Gastropub or Caffe' 21 in Westboro ;)

2008 Jun 24
wr. red: Where and what is Caffe' 21 ?

It's not on my radar and Hintonburg, Wellington Village and Westboro are all my hoods. Meaning .... that they are all in walking/staggering distance for me.

2008 Jun 24
Hello Caper.......just to update your maps........... www.ottawaxpress.ca

2008 Jun 24
mr. red: ooooooh ..... I see ..... It's Caffe Ventuno inside Il Negozio Nicastro.

Of course I know that one... It's not only in staggering distance from me... it's within crawling distance.

Has it been renamed Caffe' 21 or is that it's nickname ?

2008 Jun 24
BTW Mr Red, that's Hintonburg, not Westboro. And "Wellington Village" is a name that was made up by Real Estate Agents. It's actually Hintonburg, too.

2008 Jun 24
i thought it was Kitchesipppi, or some other Algonquin name? Of course, they may not have been as precise in defining the boundaries as the real estate agents. :)

2008 Jun 24
How about Champlain Park (Scott St. to The Ottawa River & Tunney's Pasture to Island Park) ? Is that is Hintonburg ? Westboro ? West Wellington ? Kitchissippi ? or is it another Real Estate Agent made up name ?

Note that both West Wellinton and Champlain Park have community associations like Hintonburg and Westboro.

This is an Ottawa Foodie question because The Ottawa Mosque holds BBQ's on Fridays from approx. 1-2pm. (Weather permitting).

Although I'm not Muslim, I've always been welcome to join the BBQ and buy a Halal Hamburger or two.

Occasionally I hear laughter when I load up my Burger with harissa (Harissa) from the condiments table.

The food is not bad and it's cheap, so I sometimes thought of putting in an entry in Ottawa Foodies but it's not a restaurant. so...

2008 Jun 24
Quote : "The original settlement [of Hintonburg] extended from about present-day Bayview Road almost to Island Park Drive and between two railway lines marked today by Scott Street (the streetcar line Canadian Pacific right-of-way now used by the Transitway) and the Queensway (Highway 417, earlier route of the Grand Trunk Railway). Its heart was the intersection of Parkdale Avenue and Wellington Street -- the town hall and fire station (the latter still standing and restored in 2005) were near this intersection"

I didn't know the mosque had BBQs on Friday. I'll have to try to check one out some time. I'll mention it to the wife as it will be something for her to do with the boys now that they are out of school (in a few days).

2008 Jun 24
I should be specific about the Ottawa Mosque BBQ location.

Weather permitting, it usually takes place 1 block over from the Mosque on Carleton ave (at Scott St.), in front of the old Islamic Bookstore, from about 1:15 to 2:00 pm on Fridays.

They have Halal Hamburgers, Hotdogs and (I think) Chicken burgers.

Don't for get the Harissa sauce. mmmmmm.

2008 Jun 24
Hmm, I might have to check that out this Friday!

2008 Nov 7
After bashing them for their overpriced salad, I tried them. It was good, and I'll post more details under their entry, which I guess I'll have to create!